Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2017, 13:28   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Angers - France
Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Posts: 752
OpenCPN 4.8 and Ubuntu 17.10

Hi all

May be all this is well known. In this case sorry and please forget this thread

I recently tested O on Ubuntu 17.10
I am not speaking about a migration from 17.04 to 17.10 (unity stay in this case ) but a clean new install using gnome-shell instead of Unity and Weyland environment instead of Xorg (nevertheless Xorg is still available.)
I encountered some unfair display problems
Particularly, the modal dialogs/windows where attached to their parent and impossible to move separately. This can be very annoying.
The solution can be this:
1) install gnome-tweaks available in Ubuntu software manager
2) open it and select windows tab
then un-select the first option on the top "combine modal dialog" witch was selected by default on my new installation

JP
__________________

Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:42   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Angers - France
Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Posts: 752
Re: OpenCPN 4.8 and Ubuntu 17.10

Does any one use O with a touch screen and Ubuntu?
For me it doesn't work.
JP
__________________

Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 18:59   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Helsingborg
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,587
Re: OpenCPN 4.8 and Ubuntu 17.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
Does any one use O with a touch screen and Ubuntu?
For me it doesn't work.
JP
I just tested briefly with a touch screen on 16.04, and as you say, it doesn't work. Activating "Enable touchscreen interface" made no difference.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 00:03   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kalamata, Greece
Boat: Amel Sharki
Posts: 1,997
Re: OpenCPN 4.8 and Ubuntu 17.10

The last days there was a major rework of touch functions for wxWidgets 3.1.1. Perhaps compiling OpenCPN with wxWidgets 3.1.1 is needed.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:27   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Angers - France
Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Posts: 752
Re: OpenCPN 4.8 and Ubuntu 17.10

So there is no other option for a touch screen than Windows or Android ( I means outside the Apple word ) ?
what a shame..
But is it due to Ubuntu or Wx. I suspect Ubuntu even if the doc says that the multi-point touch screens are supported
JP
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:38   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Halmatic 30
Posts: 588
Re: OpenCPN 4.8 and Ubuntu 17.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
So there is no other option for a touch screen than Windows or Android ( I means outside the Apple word ) ?
what a shame..
But is it due to Ubuntu or Wx. I suspect Ubuntu even if the doc says that the multi-point touch screens are supported
JP
I'am not using Ubuntu but Linux Stretch on my Raspberry Pi. In the latest version Debian 9 Egalax touchscreens are no longer work out of the box. You have to install the driver from EETi.

And there after you have to change the driver setting from void to evdev.

The touchscreen setting in O has nothing to do with the driver.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:44   #7
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,659
Re: OpenCPN 4.8 and Ubuntu 17.10

JP....

To use touch on linux, one needs the proper evdev touch driver for the exact hardware available. This requires some google research and experimentation.

Once touch is working for any app on linux, then it should simply work for OCPN.

What hardware are you using?

Good Luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:29   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Halmatic 30
Posts: 588
Re: OpenCPN 4.8 and Ubuntu 17.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
I'am not using Ubuntu but Linux Stretch on my Raspberry Pi. In the latest version Debian 9 Egalax touchscreens are no longer work out of the box. You have to install the driver from EETi.

And there after you have to change the driver setting from void to evdev.

The touchscreen setting in O has nothing to do with the driver.

Bram
You also have to install:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-evdev

change the settings in usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/52-galax-virtual.conf

from void to evdev

then the screen adjustment for your finger location
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:53   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Angers - France
Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Posts: 752
Re: OpenCPN 4.8 and Ubuntu 17.10

Dave

Thanks for your answer.
I use a notebook ASUS X102BA
I am full into google research, but without success for the moment.
I have also tried other versions, but all seems to have the same behavior
In fact the result is not completely null.
-The single touch works.
-The long touch (right click) doesn't work at all
-The 'pinch' zoom doesn't work at all
-The grab and drag work imperfectly : Dragging the map works but sometime, the map jump to another place as if the finger position would be suddenly false;
Impossible to grab and drag any dialog (neither the Control bar )

Ok I'll concentrate on the driver problem

verkerkbr thanks i'll try this also

JP
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:08   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Halmatic 30
Posts: 588
Re: OpenCPN 4.8 and Ubuntu 17.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
Dave

Thanks for your answer.
I use a notebook ASUS X102BA
I am full into google research, but without success for the moment.
I have also tried other versions, but all seems to have the same behavior
In fact the result is not completely null.
-The single touch works.
-The long touch (right click) doesn't work at all
-The 'pinch' zoom doesn't work at all
-The grab and drag work imperfectly : Dragging the map works but sometime, the map jump to another place as if the finger position would be suddenly false;
Impossible to grab and drag any dialog (neither the Control bar )

Ok I'll concentrate on the driver problem

verkerkbr thanks i'll try this also

JP
This for an Egalax driven Touchscreen.

To get the right spot for your finger, it is perhaps needed to install calibration program then you can adjust the screen with 4 crosses to be clicked.
__________________

verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enc, opencpn

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OpenCPN Linux / Ubuntu Issues and Questions yachtmanforfun OpenCPN 65 24-01-2018 08:06
OpenCPN and Ubuntu 15.04 Jd1 OpenCPN 1 02-05-2015 18:52
OpenCPN and Ubuntu 13.10 - Saucy Salamander Ptizef OpenCPN 6 25-11-2013 12:52
Ubuntu 10.10 and OpenCPN cagney OpenCPN 11 10-09-2011 10:40
Ubuntu 10.4 and OpenCPN cagney OpenCPN 24 07-01-2011 12:16

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.