Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2019, 23:12   #1

Boat: Tayana 52 CC
OpenCPN 4.8.4 on Macbook Air crashes after about 1-6 hours

I know there is a newer version and I intend to upgrade as soon as this cruising season is over in Fiji. Don't want to break it right now.

I am not sure what is needed to diagnose the problem which has been going on for quite a while. From the opencpn logfile(attached) it appears to just exit cleanly after about 1-5 hours of running. This ended up generating over a dozen or so track files for our passage from NZ to Fiji this year and is just a PIA to go back and put together. In the MacOS crashfile, (attached) it seems to get a low level segmentation fault. Which I assumes signals back to OCPN to just exit gracefully which it does...over and over.

Thanks for any help or suggestions....should have gotten on this long ago. But was trying to use the anchor alarm last night and of course it just shut itself off without warning and wasn't monitoring as I thought.

Steve
in beautiful Viani Bay, Fiji
Attached Files
File Type: doc OpenCPN_2019-06-29-165014_fjjjkf2212-crash.doc (174.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: doc opencpn-log-062919-txt.doc (100.5 KB, 37 views)
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 03:56   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: OpenCPN 4.8.4 on Macbook Air crashes after about 1-6 hours

Steve

Can you please tell us which kind of connections and which kind of devices you are using for GPS and might be for anything else? I see a serial connection in your data: /dev/cu.usbserial and a config for UDP. What for is this UDP connection?

Why you are using the latest update of Mojave but not the latest update of OpenCPN? The latest update for Mojave has broken wxWidgets libraries already and wxWidgets is the base of OpenCPN. Your old OpenCPN version uses wxWidgets v3.0.0.4 while the actual OpenCPN v5.0 for macOS needs wxWidgets v3.1.3 which is still not shipped by the developers of OpenCPN.
So actually I recommend to use OpenCPN v4.8.8 for macOS which seems to work with macOS 10.14.5 (latest Mojave update). And I would recommend to check your data connections. If you have Serial or Bluetooth connections you might check with the Terminal app and the command ls -n /dev/cu.* what is available when physically connected to your Mac.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 04:49   #3

The gps is the puck BU-353. The UDP was for a from an earlier attempt at interfacing via VNC that I had forgotten about. I have deleted the UDP connection. Do you think that would cause the program to crash?

I had to upgrade to Mojave for another reason. The update to Predictwind required the upgrade or I could not continue to use the product, this cruising season. I'm not familiar with the rest of what you are saying about the wxWidgets libraries you mentioned. Is OpenCPN 4.8.8 still available for download somewhere? I only see the current version available for download on the website. So you are saying that 5.0 doesn't work with the current Mojave.

What is the current recommendation from the Developers if it won't work with Mojave? Not to upgrade to 5.0? I was trying to wait for all the plugins to catch up to 5.0 and give it some time to work out the kinks. I thought I would probably upgrade in November when we will be putting the boat up for cyclone season.

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 29-06-2019, 05:23   #4
Marine Service Provider

Steve...

OpenCPN Version 5.0.0 is the current recommendation for all supported platforms, including MacOS Mojave.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 05:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
The gps is the puck BU-353. The UDP was for a from an earlier attempt at interfacing via VNC that I had forgotten about. I have deleted the UDP connection. Do you think that would cause the program to crash?
Because you said your OpenCPN always crashes after every one to four hours I guessed it has something to do with your serial GPS connection. I have never used a serial puck with macOS but only Bluetooth devices and so I don't know if you have installed the correct serial driver for your puck. I have found in the internet only this one: https://www.globalsat.com.tw/ftp/dow...dmg_v1.4.0.zip for your BU-353 but it is rather old. Maybe the driver is your problem. These Prolific drivers are well known for problems. As far as I know a very stable GPS connection is the most importand thing to run OpenCPN. As said with a Bluetooth device exists no driver problems and such a device works with any OS having Bluetooth.
Old 29-06-2019, 05:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Steve...

OpenCPN Version 5.0.0 is the current recommendation for all supported platforms, including MacOS Mojave.

Dave
Resizing chart windows doesn't work with latest Mojave update 10.14.5 for OpenCPN 5.0. This is well known Dave. You have to update to latest wxWidgets 3.1.3.
Old 29-06-2019, 06:17   #7

Looking further for a driver for your BU353 there seems to be no driver for Mojave. You may check if version 1.6.1 works, see:
Products
Old 29-06-2019, 14:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

CarCode....

wxWidgets 3.1.3 is not released, and no release date is specified yet. We may make a private patch to wxWidgets correcting the window re-size issue in our next Maintenance Release of OCPN5, depending on the state of the official wxWidgets release schedule.

Notwithstanding all that, the recommended available Release of OpenCPN for all platforms is OCPN 5.0.0.

Thanks
Dave
Old 29-06-2019, 15:36   #9

CarCode:

Ok deleted the udp connection and it crashed about an hour after I went to bed after leaving it on anchor watch mode again.

If there were some sort of problem with the gps, wouldn't there be some sort of message in a log somewhere that indicates that as a problem?

Not disagreeing with you, but just asking if there is a basis for assuming it is a gps problem as opposed to something else.
Old 29-06-2019, 15:57   #10

Is OCPN 4.8.8 still available for download? If so, where?

Sourceforge doesn't appear to have it. I am looking for the MacOS version of course.

Thanks
Old 29-06-2019, 17:15   #11
Marine Service Provider

Steve...

http://download.opencpn.org/4.8.8/OpenCPN_4.8.8.dmg

Good Luck
Dave
Old 29-06-2019, 18:54   #12

Dave,
The file that is linked to is:
http://download.opencpn.org/5.0.0/Op....0+9065270.dmg

not 4.8.8. Or am I missing something?
Old 29-06-2019, 20:15   #13
Marine Service Provider

Steve...

Sorry, try this:
http://download.opencpn.org/4.8.8/OpenCPN_4.8.8.dmg

Dave
Old 29-06-2019, 22:17   #14

Ok, thanks for that Dave, that seems to get to the right file.

Any thoughts on my originally explained problem....OCPN just deciding to randomly exit with the segfault error described above?
Old 30-06-2019, 00:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
Ok, thanks for that Dave, that seems to get to the right file.

Any thoughts on my originally explained problem....OCPN just deciding to randomly exit with the segfault error described above?
What is about the driver of your BU353?

Tags
opencpn, enc