Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2016, 14:22   #1

Boat: Cape George 36' Cutter
OpenCPN 4.2 with the Navico Radar pluggin

Hello

We are running OpenCPN 4.2 with the Navico Radar pluggin. Thank you OpenCPN. We are bench testing our new Simrad equipment which includes a Simrad 4G Radar, a RI10 Radar Interface and a SimNet 7 Port Multi-Joiner with an RC42 Heading Sensor. This is all connecting to our Windows 10 computer. The radar data displays with no problem. The issue we are having is that our own boat icon is not responding to the heading sensor. The radar dialog box sees the heading sensor and is checked. We rotated the heading sensor 3 times, per the manual, and this helped but not much. Now we have sporadic movement of the icon. Is this because we have no COG as we are just bench testing? Any suggestions?

Jim and Shelley
James_Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 19:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN 4.2 with the Navico Radar pluggin

Jim...

Have a look at the NMEA stream coming in, by Options->Connections->Show NMEA. Look for the NMEA sentences containing ownship heading information, like $xxHDT. Post a screen shot for reference and help.

Good Luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:07   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Simrad 4G Radar, a RI10 Radar Interface and a SimNet 7 Port Multi-Joiner with an RC42 Heading Sensor.
Try to make sure the simnet cable connections from n2k to RI10 are seated properly. Sometimes these connections need to be shoved in further over a bump. It happened to me when installing, but the fault was on the Raymarine ST1 to STns Converter which was rewired and connected to the N2K backbone. When I finally checked all the connections I started getting the heading sensor on the radar (my sensor was just the old Raymarine Fluxgate).

At first I thought the Raymarine converter was bad.

In your case, I believe the RC42 Heading sensor is on the N2K bus and you have an N2K to simnet cable to the RI10
Check all those connections again.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:14   #4

Boat: Najad 34

James...
I assume you are using the latest version, 2.1, of BR24Radar_pi?
If you've the compass connected to your 4G there's an option in preferences to transfer the heading to OCPN. Have you tried that? See attached image.

For more info about the plugin try:
https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi/wiki

For latest OCPN and plugins:
Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Plugins for OpenCPN 4.2 & 4.4 | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BR24_Head.PNG
Views:	156
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	132299  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:23   #5

rgleason
Thanks for the heads up on the connections. I did have one on the RI10 simnet to 7way that was stiff and did have to be shoved in harder than the rest. The blink code was a quick 3 flashes (simnet lost on power up) listed in the manual. After working on the connection it changed to a study single blink indicating a normal state (power on and simnet connection made). This was not mentioned in the manual supplied with the ray dome but supported by tech support. It does make since but when you are trying to follow the manual…. Thanks for your interest it is appreciated.
James and Shelley
Old 06-10-2016, 09:38   #6

Hakan
We were not running v2.1. But when we followed your advice everything worked. We are just getting started and are learning to navigate OpenCPN . Your help is welcome and appreciated.
James and Shelley.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:36   #7

Screen Shot.pdf
Dave
We have got the problem solved by updating to v2.1 per Hakan’s advice. That said when going to, Options->Connections->ShowNMEA. Look for the NMEA sentences containing ownship heading information, like $xxHDT, we do not see a $xxHDT. We are including a screen shot and hope it is what you need. We are beyond new to all of this. Your help is appreciated.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:04   #8

Screen Shot.pdf

Dave,

As we said, we are still learning. I hope the attachment gets to you this time.

Jim
Old 06-10-2016, 11:21   #9
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Jim,

attaching a picture (in png formt from most of the screenshot utilities) makes it easier to read.
You can attach a txt file with the data stream as well - just name it .jpg or .doc to overcome size limits.
Or embed the text using [ code ] (without blanks inside) and [/ code ] to delimited the code:
Code:
 some code or listing
Next interesting thing are your communications settings: screen shot of the COM port settings.
Plus perhaps the .ini file

Hubert

Ps. Dave is not available the next days, he will need to ride out "Matthew"
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:08   #10

James....
re: "We have got the problem solved by updating....."
So your heading issues are also solved although the NMEA heading message is not visible on your screen shoot. - correct or?

Did you know it's possible to filter what's shown in the NMEA debug window? Try to type for example HDT, or HD, in the text field at the bottom of the window. Then only messages including your filter text will be shown and it's easier to find what you're looking for. In my attached image you can see the difference after I typed "HD".
To attache a screen shoot image itself you've to click "Go Advanced" and slide down to find "Attach files" - and click the button: "[Manage attachments]"
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Debug.PNG
Views:	115
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	132642  
Old 11-10-2016, 08:05   #11

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

I have been running the Radar Plugin fine with Lowrance 3G under WinXP just upgraded to new PC with Win 7 Pro and the Range parameter seems to be stuck at Auto, 50m, 75m and 100m. It was working OK even on the new PC but now seems to be stuck.

Can't get the range above 100m

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Peter
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:03   #12

Tupaia...
I've no idea but It's working fine for me on Win10( and XP)
I though have the latest beta of both OCPN, 4.5, and BR24.._pi, 2.2. But it was working fine also on 4.4 and 2.1 respectively. The range was never a problem the last three-four years or so.
- What's your program/plugin versions?
- Is it a problem in manual range only or does the Auto range also stuck to a maximum of 100 meters?
- When changing the manual range is the counter walking up/down as it should while using the +/- buttons and the result after traveling back in the radar menu is changed - or?
Pls describe what's happening.
Håkan
Old 11-10-2016, 23:06   #13

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Tupaia...
I've no idea but It's working fine for me on Win10( and XP)
I though have the latest beta of both OCPN, 4.5, and BR24.._pi, 2.2. But it was working fine also on 4.4 and 2.1 respectively. The range was never a problem the last three-four years or so.
- What's your program/plugin versions?
- Is it a problem in manual range only or does the Auto range also stuck to a maximum of 100 meters?
- When changing the manual range is the counter walking up/down as it should while using the +/- buttons and the result after traveling back in the radar menu is changed - or?
Pls describe what's happening.
Håkan
I am running 4.4.0 on Win7Pro. Radar v1.32. It has been working fine for 2 months now regular almost daily use. It's Lowrance 3G directly into ethernet port 0,0,0,0 / 2947

1. radar v1.32 range stuck below 100m.

2. Installed v2.1 OCPN crashes.

3. reinstalled v1.32 to disable plugin. OPCN loads but range still stuck.

4. reinstall v2.1 OCPN hangs on startup "no data from radar" close radar window and OCPN crashes.

5. reinstall v1.32 OPCN working perfectly with range working also.

6. reinstalled v2.1 OPCN crashes "cannot switch radar on", "radar not connected".

7. reinstall v1.32 OPCN working perfectly with range working also. Hmmmm

During this test the radar was not restarted and was definitely functioning.

Peter
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 23:24   #14

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I had this type of issue with a 3G. Except reversed - would not go Under 100m. Slowly got worse until the radar stopped functioning altogether. If the radar is under 2 yrs old, take it in to Navico for checking and repair/replacement under warranty.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :-(

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-10-2016, 00:51   #15

Peter
Matt can of course have a point but....
I've the same scanner type and connected in the same way so this is based on my own experiences;
There are quit significant differences between BR24Radar_pi version 1.32 and 2.1. Not less in the methods they establish the radar IP connection. So, while switching between the two versions you would try to have the radar scanner switched off. And before power the radar on after version 2.1 installation, you're using the setup program aren't you, stop and restart OCPN one or two times while BR24radar_pi is activated.
Good luck and we hope your radar scanner is not broken.
Håkan

Tags
enc, navico, opencpn, plug, radar