Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 10:49   #1
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
OpenCPN 4.0 and ECDIS requirements (IEC61174)

Motivated by the discussion about the size of soundings on ENCs and knowing that "after a new version is before the next version" here a resume of a comparision between OpenCPN 4.0.0 and ECDIS, plotter and navigation systems as required for SOLAS vessels.

The idea is not to homologate OpenCPN but to have a "look over the fence" to find ideas and concepts that might be useful for us.

OpenCPN 4.0 and ECDIS requirements (IEC61174)
Resume comparing OpenCPN 4.0.0 with the requirement for ECDS systems.

We don´t talk here about the rendering of charts (ENCs/RNCs) as we understand that full compliance is paramount in any case.

In the sense of looking for and sharing “best practise’s” a list of functions and tools found in the ECDIS standard IEC61174 which are not implemented today in OpenCPN follow below.

User Interface

1-click back to Standard Display - ECDIS defines a Standard Display with the minimum of required information at any given moment for navigation. “Views” or predefined lay-outs or panels would be a corresponding feature.

Auto-follow with a user defined reference point and not limited to the center of the screen

Text and symbols with a minimum size as defined in S-52, i.e. 2.5mm
Text fonts Sans Serif and legible from a distance of 1 meter.
Remember here the debate at the forum about the size of soundings.

Route planning

Curved segments, insert waypoint. There are systems that add WOP (Wheel Over Points) to the route. Not so interesting for pleasure crafts perhaps.

check route against safety contours, guard zones, hazards or “off-limit” areas

define XTE which triggers alert

Track/Route monitoring

Alert with a defined look-ahead time about hazards, zones or objects vulnerating the defined safety contours

Alert XTE excess

Automatic time labels, ticks and user comments on the track

Dead Reckoning (DR)

as a secondary positioning source. Requires DR and visual position fix by Lines Of Position(LOPs)

Tools

EBL and VRM (minimum one for each). Parallel Indexing Lines is another tool found in commercial systems

Charts

Mariners Information, Mariners Charts, Navigators Notes. These are user created manual entries of symbols, texts, simple lines or shapes as layer

Manual updates of charts (corrections on base of NTMs)

VDR

Focused on liability – in addition to time, position, speed and heading charts in use are recorded
It shall not be possible to edit entries.

If somebody wants to see how these concepts are implemented by others here is a publication:

http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocu...11-16-2012.pdf

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:55   #2

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: OpenCPN 4.0 and ECDIS requirements (IEC61174)

We have the Furuno ECDIS on board the OSV I work on. We haven't gotten an update for the ENC charts yet because the ship just got commissioned a few weeks ago. On the previous vessel, we had a Transas system which I think is hands down better than the Furuno unit thus far. On the Furuno, AIS doesn't just show up when it's in range, you have to manually click on a target which is a pain the butt when your in Port looking to hail someone. The night mode is impossibly too dim and whoever picked the colors should be fired. There is no way to trim down the soundings, it's either on or off, the Transas could select only soundings below a certain depth. We can't seem to get the Furuno to track the ship, has to be done manually.

So if your looking to compare products to Open CPN, take a look at Transas. I'm thinking it was cheaper for my company to go Furuno because all the other equipment (radar, ais, VHF, navtex, gmdss, ssb, etc) are all Furuno. And I'm sure the Furuno ECDIS is a cheaper alternative to Transas just by going with features. I don't know.

Now some.of this could change when we get a update disc for the charts. But as I stand now, the Transas is more like Open CPN from what I can tell.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:07   #3
bcn

Ronnie,

the Furuno does not serve as a benchmark, it's just to illustrate the functions the standard requires (we can't quote entire chapters of the standard due to copyright restrictions).
And the Furuno manual has been the first we stumbled over.
Is there a link to download the Transas manual?

And from your point of view, what do you miss today most at OpenCPN 4.0 ?
What would you think are the most interesting points to tackle?

Hubert
Old 11-01-2015, 09:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Ronnie,

the Furuno does not serve as a benchmark, it's just to illustrate the functions the standard requires (we can't quote entire chapters of the standard due to copyright restrictions).
And the Furuno manual has been the first we stumbled over.
Is there a link to download the Transas manual?

And from your point of view, what do you miss today most at OpenCPN 4.0 ?
What would you think are the most interesting points to tackle?

Hubert
Oh I got you, that's understandable. The Transas manual and other documents are here: http://www.transas.com/products/ECDI...7234#downloads

We had the older Navi Sailor 3000 on the other boat. So the newer one is most probably faster, has bugs fixed and most probably some new features to boot.

To be honest, I haven't had a chance to install the 4.0. I have been offshore since before Christmas and get home in Feb. I had a previous 3.x version on my macbook-pro but I had to give that up for my sister as hers crapped the bed and she needed it for college. I haven't gotten a new laptop yet as it's going to be one of the latter things I do as I'm refitting my boat.

When I get home I'll load 4.0 on my windows desktop at home and let you know my thoughts on the comparison of the three for sure. I have been trying to keep up with it and the new features sound exciting, so I'm pretty amped to play with it when I get home.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Old 02-03-2015, 13:48   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
. . . The idea is not to homologate OpenCPN . . .
Homologation of OpenCPN would be a Linux-like achievement.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 14:12   #6
bcn

Don't know - is that something we need or would like?

Apart from homologating Hardware/Software packages and moving tons of documents at a high expense - where is the fun??

Learning from best practices, yes. And in case we have functionalities that are better than those of commercial systems, nobody will complain neither.

Hubert
Old 03-03-2015, 18:11   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thank you BCN

I am interested in improvements in this area

Text and symbols with a minimum size as defined in S-52, i.e. 2.5mm
Text fonts Sans Serif and legible from a distance of 1 meter.
Remember here the debate at the forum about the size of soundings.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:25   #8

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

It is worthwhile re-reading BCN's post. With considerable effort going towards Android there is not enough programming hp for these features, but it worthwhile considering what is needed/appropriate and discussing it, and finally adding those items to tracker feature requests.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:43   #9
cruiser

You must be out of this world comparing oCPN with ECDIS. When you make oCPN to be at least close to Maptech Chart Navigator Pro or some of euronavs seaPro you can talk about ECDIS. At the moment oCPN is noting more than "fools gold" using 5 years old pirated cm-93s.

No offends,
blackcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:14   #10
bcn

Ah, a so called professional - or not so professional....

What is the latest version you tested?
Did you test up-to-date S-57 charts or official raster charts?
Raster charts directly derived from official charts like the "visit-my-harbor" material?
Or perhaps the S-63 charts? You are aware that OCPN can use exactly the same charts required by SOLAS - licensing them?
Are you aware of not that few installs on the bridge of not very small vessels?
Often for planning purposes. Or to train people for the change from paper charts to ENCs.

And more important: what are the features you think OCPN needs to overcome the "fools level"?

Btw.: ECDIS requires a minimum and the paper is about things we can learn from this requirements.

Btw.2: You know for sure about the use of pirated paper charts on SOLAS vessels, don't you?
Old 10-09-2015, 10:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcrow View Post
...At the moment oCPN is noting more than "fools gold" using 5 years old pirated cm-93s...
Apparently you know very little about OpenCPN software. I think of OpenCPN as a software tool for viewing multiple sources of data -- instrument data via Dashboard plugin; weather data by various plugins; and GPS, AIS, and DSC data -- all overlaid on a chart of the user's choosing. The "user's choosing" part is critical. You bring your own charts, and they can be as good or as bad as you want them to be. If you want to pirate outdated cm-93 charts, that's your choice. OpenCPN is merely the tool to display them. And where feasible, the team tries to comply with ECDIS standards.

I assure you that those of us sailing US coastal waters are unlikely to be using pirated cm-93 charts, since NOAA provides nice quality raster and vector charts that can be downloaded at no charge.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:19   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Apparently you know very little about OpenCPN software. I think of OpenCPN as a software tool for viewing multiple sources of data -- instrument data via Dashboard plugin; weather data by various plugins; and GPS, AIS, and DSC data -- all overlaid on a chart of the user's choosing. The "user's choosing" part is critical. You bring your own charts, and they can be as good or as bad as you want them to be. If you want to pirate outdated cm-93 charts, that's your choice. OpenCPN is merely the tool to display them. And where feasible, the team tries to comply with ECDIS standards.

I assure you that those of us sailing US coastal waters are unlikely to be using pirated cm-93 charts, since NOAA provides nice quality raster and vector charts that can be downloaded at no charge.
Don't feed the... Well, you know.

The whole sailing world knows better.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 16:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Don't feed the... Well, you know.

The whole sailing world knows better.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hey I'm a professional mariner too, don't group that guy with us! Or at least me!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2015, 16:11   #14

Bcn, so you know, my fiancee and I just purchased a new MacBook so I'm excited to put the new 4.0 build on it and start running it through its paces.

Any particular items or comparisons you have so I can compare between the Furuno unit on my vessel at work(and the older Navi Sailor 3000) and Opencpn?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2015, 18:49   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcrow View Post

(...)

Maptech Chart Navigator Pro or some of euronavs seaPro

(...)

At the moment oCPN is noting more than "fools gold" using 5 years old pirated cm-93s.

No offends,
None taken.

Chart Navigator or SeaPro I have never heard of.

The version of OpenCPN I know displays BSB charts.

Not sure what exactly you understand by fools gold but having used MaxSea and Deckman I can't say I find OpenCPN lacking. In some ways (e.g. AIS implementation, customer support, documentation, patches) OpenCPN is actually light years ahead compared to other players in the field.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cdi, enc, men, opencpn