Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 11:19   #1

OpenCPN 2.3.x Much Slower than 1.3.6?

Folks,
I've been noticing something: even on PCs that are significantly faster than any laptop/boat PC, the 2.x series, from the 2.1 betas to 2.3.1 included, is embarassingly slow compared to 1.3.6, to the point of being unusable. The situation is marginally less bad in XP than in Seven, but it's very bad on both. For reference, I am using CM93v2 maps, having them on a local drive or on a network drive does not seem to change the situation. The level of zoom, however, does, insofar as when I zoom out the speed gets worse and worse. I have vector detail level 0, text enabled and MarinersStandard view with four colours. Has anyone else run into the issue?
lfabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 20:49   #2

Re: OpenCPN 2.3.x much slower than 1.3.6?

try turning off quilting mode
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56   #3

Re: OpenCPN 2.3.x Much Slower than 1.3.6?

That helped a little but it didn't actually solve the issue: 1.3.6 works fine, I uninstall it, I install the latest beta (in this case)... and the speed drops to 386SX levels, give or take a MHz. It's just a /25 instead of a /16...
I'll add further information: as long as the truescale is at 289700 it becomes manageable - slow, but at least it can be made to work. With the next step, 145k or so, it's almost normal. And with the latest beta *but not with 2.3.1*, with quilting ON, the problem goes away. With quilting OFF and show chart outlines OFF, the problem also goes away. Since with quilting on the outlines are not there, it seems to be related to the chart outline drawing.
Old 04-07-2011, 19:05   #4

Boat: 29'

Ifabio,
...I used to keep a copy of 1.3.6 handy because it ran so fast compared to 2.3.1 but I'm much happier with the newer betas (on XP (Ibm T42 or a PanasonicCF48(PIII))than either of the earlier versions.

just as a comparison...
I can tap the + and - keys without much lag ...outlines enabled or not makes no big difference either in CM93 or the kaps.My cm93's are set up same as yours,4 colours,roughly "mariners' standard" and middlin' (0)detail.
How much ram is O using?I can slow her down a bit by fast scrolling,and consequent tappatappatappatap in out on the (+ /- )zoom.Then,Ram chewed is 400mb from total 768 and the 1.4ghz processor is at 99 momentarily but that's quilting on ,borders on too but she won't flip and steadies up pretty quick too...
...I think OpenCPN can be "set" to use a proportion of ram.Maybe that's a possible experiment?
Also-Might seem a dumb question ,but has to be asked-anything running in the background that is a heavy feeder?
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 23:21   #5

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
anything running in the background that is a heavy feeder?
Virus scanner?
champ8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:12   #6

Qu

A little background: my latest experiments are done on a C2Q Q6600 and on an i7 2600K (two and two). These are machines with 8/16GB of RAM and fast hard drives/SSDs. The speed compared to a T42 or the T60/T61 I use onboard is greater by orders of magnitude, not coefficients: I am used to using the scroll wheel and getting instantaneous response from any program (be it Tradestation, Photoshop, what have you). And indeed, 1.3.6 and 2.4b without borders works that way. 2.4b with borders lags even when I drag the map, if the scale isn't on the step past the 150kish mark. Tapping +/- gives me a small delay which becomes large once the scale passes the 500k mark and there are LOTS of borders involved (testing mainly on the northern adriatic sea, when you go 500k->1M you have all of dalmatia on the map, from Trieste to Dubrovnik). Large delay means multiple seconds, BTW. Dragging is all but impossible, as in the map will move seconds after your mouse motion. Then, once the scale gets up to 5M (about half the med on a 1600x1200 screen) the borders become fewer and scrolling is OK again.
VSS is at 222-224MB, private bytes around 119MB. Nothing big. Stuff running in the background doesn't really change things much (and it shouldn't, the machines are specced not to let that happen). I do not, in any case, run a virus scanner and the background defragger is paused during the workday.
The problem is pretty evidently with the part of the software which either computes or renders the chart borders: I think developers should take a look. I'd love to but my copious free time (TM) is at historic lows.
Old 05-07-2011, 18:05   #7
Marine Service Provider

ifabio....

Working on this one now...

1. Could we have a screenshot for orientation? Ditto logfile?

2. Info: cm93 chart outlines are cached on disk to accelerate their drawing. You may want to look at and post the comtents of {config dir}/cm93. You will see some files. If those files are huge (multimegs) or non-existent, then outline drawing may be slow.

3. I agree that drawing and dragging is slower on single chart mode with outlines. But I never see multi-second pan operations. on 2.4 Ghz single core cpu.

Anyone else?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 18:08   #8

Incoming Dave, sorry I have been busy with work.
Here comes the image, ini and log.

INI file

LOG file

The %ProgramData%\opencpn\cm93 dir contains 7 files named <directory>.[abcdefg] for a total of under 1MB.

Tags
opencpn