Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 30-08-2009, 06:26   #856

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Getting quite a weird bug in tracking now, where some sort of waypoint is entering into the track.. odd.. NB it goes away after a while, seems to be more of a display error
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	180
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	9620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-1.png
Views:	148
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	9621  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-2.png
Views:	162
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	9622  
Old 30-08-2009, 07:22   #857
Marine Service Provider

Track draw error...

All...

Big duh..... That's what I get for hacking code in the wee hours.

Fixed in CVS. Update navutil.cpp

Cagney: What happens with gpsd with no GPS attached? Massive CPU load? This sounds suspicious.

Dave
Old 30-08-2009, 07:53   #858

Location: Mostly on the boat. Occasionally at our condo in Port St Lucie, FL.
Boat: Manta 42 Sailcat -Toucan Dream
Dave,

Looks like it has been a while since there was any activity on your program. I'm trying to use it with the new enc's and finding it is still a little sluggish. Is any work in progress to address this that you know of?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
SV Toucan Dream
Old 30-08-2009, 08:06   #859
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris blair View Post
Looks like it has been a while since there was any activity on your program.
You might want to scroll back through this thread and note the dates on the posts. Dave has been kickin' butt.

The beta for the new release is much faster with ENCs if you're on Windows. Not sure when it is to be released.

-dan
Old 30-08-2009, 08:07   #860

Dave,

Never mind. I was causing the problem myself by having two instances running at the same time with a few other things running. Must have been memory problems on my laptop. When I shut everything down and restarted only cpn it worked fine. FYI, the lack of quilting is a big drawback to me. I'm not complaining though, just input from a non-programer sailor. We sail extensively and are really glad to get a free program that works this well. Thanks for what you and the other developers are doing!

Best regards,
Chris
SV Toucan Dream
Old 30-08-2009, 08:16   #861

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
You might want to scroll back through this thread and note the dates on the posts. Dave has been kickin' butt.

The beta for the new release is much faster with ENCs if you're on Windows. Not sure when it is to be released.

-dan
Thanks Dan. I've been on this site for a long time but never learned how to use it. I actually got back here today when a friend suggested cpn. I'm just barely learning how to view threads, pretty poor huh? So I'm learning a lot as I go. I know nothing of programming... just a user and avid sailor looking for a reasonably cheap way to display the NOAA S-57 charts. We sail/live aboard 9 months per year. Currently in Myrtle Beach waiting out the storm season and on the way up to Annapolis.

Regards,
Chris
Old 30-08-2009, 08:19   #862

Aquarium sealant

Manimaul,

That was a nice setup you had in the aquarium, but I bet the glass was held together with silicone "aquarium sealant." I've tried this too, and found that oils of all sorts (both hydrocarbon and silicone based) will dissolve aquarium sealant fairly quickly, which I think is what happened to you.

The answer is an "oil resistant sealant" that is also flexible to accommodate thermal expansions. For example, this one: DOW CORNING® 735 OIL RESISTANT SEALANT.

Not having to worry too much about poisoning the fish opens up new possibilities . . . but some fish in there would sure be interesting if you can figure out how to do it!

BillyDoc
Old 30-08-2009, 08:21   #863

I'm and avid sailor and user but not a programmer. Can you tell me how to use this file?

Best regards,
Chris
SV Toucan Dream
Old 30-08-2009, 08:24   #864

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post

-dan
Dan,

Can you tell me how to use the beta .deb file that manimaul posted?

Thanks
Old 30-08-2009, 08:31   #865
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Thanks Dan. I've been on this site for a long time but never learned how to use it. I actually got back here today when a friend suggested cpn. I'm just barely learning how to view threads, pretty poor huh? So I'm learning a lot as I go. I know nothing of programming... just a user and avid sailor looking for a reasonably cheap way to display the NOAA S-57 charts. We sail/live aboard 9 months per year. Currently in Myrtle Beach waiting out the storm season and on the way up to Annapolis.

Regards,
Chris
There are a couple of for-sale programs that do a great job with ENCs. But OpenCPN does well enough for me, and with the improvements coming fast and furious, I'm putting my time into working with it to help discover bugs, instead of paying for something else.

I envy you. 9 months on the boat. I'm lucky to get 2 weekends a month.

As for the .deb file, are you on Linux? If so, you are asking me the one question about Linux I can help with. If you are on Windows, there is a download link for what you need.

-dan
Old 30-08-2009, 08:43   #866

Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm on Windows XP pro. I'm testing cpn and trying to learn how to be at least functional before we head out in about 2 weeks. I've built and installed an Intel Atom based 12v computer with a 15" Argonaut sunlight visible screen at the helm. I'm waaaay better with hardware than software as you can see.

Can you tell me where the link is?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb non-programmer questions.

Best regards,
Chris
SV Toucan Dream
Old 30-08-2009, 08:51   #867
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm on Windows XP pro. I'm testing cpn and trying to learn how to be at least functional before we head out in about 2 weeks. I've built and installed an Intel Atom based 12v computer with a 15" Argonaut sunlight visible screen at the helm. I'm waaaay better with hardware than software as you can see.

Can you tell me where the link is?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb non-programmer questions.

Best regards,
Chris
SV Toucan Dream
The beta is here

It seems stable to me. No real operational problems.

And don't worry about dumb questions. It's only dumb when you bull-headedly try something without asking and crash your machine.

EDIT: That computer sounds like exactly what I want. When I get ready to cruise, I'll build something.

-dan

-dan
Old 30-08-2009, 09:09   #868

Wow! Thanks again! The only small thing I can do in return is tell you what I learned about building the 12v computer. You probably already know about this but just in case make sure you get a power supply that can tolerate the wide input voltages you get on a boat. There are several on the market way under $100. If you want anymore details please let me know. I hope to be able to do something in return for all you tech savvy folks that take the time to help users like me.

Thanks again!

Chris
Old 30-08-2009, 09:17   #869

Thomas,

What configure flags are you using? The reason I ask is 2 fold.

1. I imagine you are passing a -debug switch to the compiler for ddd somehow.

2. I noticed panning is slower in Linux on vector charts. This might have something to do with the way I'm compiling or just graphics driver difference. There is something about BUILD_WITH_GTK_OPTIMIZATION in the Makefile but not in ./configure --help

I've just been using ./configure --prefix=/usr

Any thoughts?
Old 30-08-2009, 10:03   #870

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Wow! Thanks again! The only small thing I can do in return is tell you what I learned about building the 12v computer. You probably already know about this but just in case make sure you get a power supply that can tolerate the wide input voltages you get on a boat. There are several on the market way under $100. If you want anymore details please let me know. I hope to be able to do something in return for all you tech savvy folks that take the time to help users like me.

Thanks again!

Chris
Hi Chris and Everyone working on OpenCPN.
I have been watching this thread (from the beginning) with much interest. Wish I could add support but can't.
Still thanks to all for your work.

Chris, also of interest is your Marine Computer you built.
Is it possible that your start a NEW thread and share the details of your project with the rest of us?
That would be great.

Best Regards,
Extemp.
Closed Thread