Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 28-08-2009, 13:26   #811

ChuckSK, you are right ... it is on all charts. I get a segmentation fault the 2nd time I right click on the track. My navobj.xml is 129KB and only contains the 1 track. navobj.xml
Note: this track was taken driving in my car to work... so its on land
I had my track set on time interval 4 seconds. I'm not sure this makes a difference. Although Nobeltec crashes if I have it on anything less than 8 seconds.
Old 28-08-2009, 13:31   #812

btw, anybody use IRC? How about #opencpn on freenode?
Old 28-08-2009, 13:40   #813

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
I plan to move to complete xml storage of routes, waypoints, and tracks in the future. Current configuration is experimental, trying to determine if there are any performance drawbacks of using an XML format.
I've been reading back on the forum quite a ways along with Rhoel. I think he has some good ideas about KML. KML might be a good way to store tracks, routes and marks. Performance wise, KML should be similar to XML as it is built on the same standard.

In the future other uses of a kml layer might include:
1. User data - marks, routes, notes, etc
2. Converted maps - user created charts, sat photos, geotiffs, etc
3. Weather - gribs converted to kml

This would also eliminate the "need" to convert maps to BSB. Converting to KML is much easier and is something we can definitely do now using open source tools.
Old 28-08-2009, 14:47   #814

Boat: Dufour 35
Dave

Clicking twice on a track - crash.
Same as in post #705.

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot54.png
Views:	156
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	9605  
Old 28-08-2009, 15:28   #815

Dave,
Yes, I am using the option "Enable Wheel-Zoom-to-Cursor, and it crashes at the second right click with the track. But it is the same if the option is disable.
Old 28-08-2009, 15:47   #816

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Something strange is going on. I moved the location of MY SHIP earlier and when I tried to move the location back again,everything froze and eventually the Vista error box appeared saying OpenCPN had stopped functioning and Microsoft was checking for possible fault.. and then all aborted.

Now here comes the twist.. when I tried to start OpenCPN again, I kept on getting the same error message and the program refused to start. I then tried overwriting the latest 822 fix but to no avail. I then installed the original OpenCPN and 822 finally on top- Still the same,no go. Finally I de-installed everything and installed all from scratch and now it is all back to normal. Something seems to have made OpenCPN less stable in the latest version?
Old 28-08-2009, 16:01   #817
Marine Service Provider

Fault on Track Right Click twice....

All....

Thanks so much for the detailed info on this fault. I see the problem, and have corrected for the next beta.

Should be apparent on all chart types, just right-click same track twice, and boom.

Meanwhile, don't do that.....

Still wondering about cursor jump relation to Wheel-zoom-to-cursor.
This should have no relation to the right-click track-crash. This may cause strange cursor jumps only. Jpiebrig??

Thanks again
Dave
Old 28-08-2009, 16:06   #818
Marine Service Provider

More info

All....

For info, the right-click-on-track crash had nothing to do with the length of the track file. That was pure speculation on my part. The root cause was related to the wxWidgets graphics engine, not the opencpn internal storage mechanism.

I'd be curious if anyone notices any performance degradation as the number of routes, tracks, and waypoints gets very large. Should only be apparent on startup and shutdown.

Dave

btw Cagney thanks for the ddd screenshot.
Old 28-08-2009, 17:31   #819

Slightly of topic but something that may be of use to other users, Eterlogics VPSE, a serial port tool, with this you can set up port splits, repeats, or most usefully a virtual port that multiple applications can access...i.e. have one GPS accessed by several nav programs... for example I can use Nroute with Garmin Bluecharts, and OpenCPN with CM93, at the same time with only one GPS.
Eterlogic - Welcome to www.eterlogic.com website Its FREE!
Old 28-08-2009, 20:25   #820
Marine Service Provider

GPSD errors

jpeibrig....

This is interesting.

At version 2.24 of gpsd, the speed data reported by the gpsd daemon was changed from knots to meters/second. Reasons given on the gpsd website are obtuse.... Current version in the Ubuntu i386 universe is 2.36.

Anyway, we now have to poll the gpsd driver to determine its version number, and apply the proper correction factor to the ship speed.

This correction will be in the next Beta.

Thanks for finding this one. Its a serious bug.

Dave
Old 28-08-2009, 21:07   #821
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Cursor jump details - ad naseum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Still wondering about cursor jump relation to Wheel-zoom-to-cursor.
Cursor jumps whether "Wheel zoom to cursor" is on or off. But only on raster charts. And only when zoomed all the way out and then another zoom out is attempted.

Start at full zoom out:
Scroll in one click - no problem
Scroll out one click - no problem
Scroll out one click - jump to center
Scroll out one click - jump to center
Scroll in one click
Scroll out two clicks - jump to center.

I described this before, but here it is again just so it's all in one place.
After a zoom-out, as I move the cursor around the screen, it works fine everywhere except when I put it over one of the chart buttons on the chart selection bar. The preview pop-up flashes, and then the cursor jumps to the center of the screen. After it jumps to the center, I try again and it always works the second time.

Doesn't matter what type of chart the button is for. All three types do the same. Also happens on buttons where the ENC has not been "created", yet.

Happens anywhere on the globe I have tried it.

I have, just for the heck of it, moved the cursor all over the screen, down on the windows task bar where little pop-ups come up. When I put the cursor over a button, it jumps. However, if I click on another window and then click on OpenCPN again, the cursor immediately jumps from the Windows menu bar to the center of the screen.

Happens whether OpenCPN is maximized or part-screen.

So, I think that's about as detailed as I can get...

-dan
Old 28-08-2009, 21:11   #822
Obsfucator, Second Class

Preview bug

On the chart preview, if I move the cursor over an ENC that hasn't been "created", yet, the preview shows a blank screen.

So far, so good.

But if I put it over a chart that does have a preview and then move the cursor to the one that doesn't, the preview still shows the previous chart. How's THAT for being nit-picky.

-dan
Old 28-08-2009, 22:02   #823
Obsfucator, Second Class

Another one.

Can't pin this down, but a few times I have gone to other programs, and when I get back, scroll zoom doesn't work at all. Only way I can get it back is to bounce OpenCPN. Doesn't happen often. Most times I skip from program to program and come back and every thing is fine.

I'll try to pay close attention to see what the circumstances are.

EDIT: OK, I lied. I just went back to it, and scroll zoom is back. So a bounce is not necessarily needed.

EDIT(2): Cursor jump. If I zoom out, but then click and pan, jump doesn't happen.

-dan
Old 28-08-2009, 22:12   #824

Perhaps the s57s should be expanded when you specify chart directories. This might make it take quite some time though.
Old 28-08-2009, 22:16   #825
Obsfucator, Second Class

Color matching

OK, one more and I'll quit for the night. Not a bug, but a suggestion.

Could the colors of the chart buttons match the colors of the chart outlines? Don't care really what colors they are, just so long as they match.

But while we're at it, I have a very hard time telling the difference between the purple of the cm93 outlines from the red of the raster.

-dan
Closed Thread