Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 28-08-2009, 09:27   #796
Marine Service Provider

Overzoom....

idpnd, and all....

On the soapbox again....

I resist overzooming more than 4 times the native compilation scale of the chart as displayed on the screen.

Your screenshot is instructive. The width of the yellow highlight under the track shown is the distance equivalent to 1.5 mm at the chart compilation scale. The underlying data is probably no more accurate than the width of the highlight.

Or , to say it another way: You may have RUN OVER any chart feature that is shown within the highlight zone. As I have experimented with tracks underway in actual confined channels such as found in the Chesapeake Bay, I often clobber a daymark in the highlight zone.

And this does not even consider the GPS inaccuracy, which would be additive in the worst case.

I have considered "fuzzing out" the chart image under high overzoom conditions, but this may be over-reacting.

There. I feel better, and I'm through now.

Dave
Old 28-08-2009, 09:34   #797
Marine Service Provider

Jumping cursor:

Those who see jumping cursor:

Are you using Toolbox->Etc.->Enable Wheel-zoom-to-cursor?

Dave
Old 28-08-2009, 09:35   #798

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Will.

Thanks,I have no intention buying geotiffs at this point in time and eagerly await news from your researches into BSB conversion.

Regards
Tore
Old 28-08-2009, 09:54   #799

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I got a full swap after a few hours of tracking my anchored position; I am also getting segfaults upon rightclick at times.. Do you want more debugging?
Old 28-08-2009, 09:59   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymc View Post
Well, it moved my boat to a new place on the chart & now I can't get rid of it. Tried plugging-in my GPS to see if it would return to my home port, but the icon stays in the wrong place.
Mac,

Plugging in your gps should move your boat icon back to where the gps location is. Is the chart text background red or green?

Example:

If it is red as above, then opencpn is not seeing your gps.

...Dave, other uses for move boat here could be dead reckoning.

Will
Old 28-08-2009, 10:27   #801

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
I got a full swap after a few hours of tracking my anchored position; I am also getting segfaults upon rightclick at times.. Do you want more debugging?
I was getting crashes yesterday when right clicking track (but on winXP) also.

Also, should only one or the other of these two options be available?

Perhaps only a sensible range of seconds or NMi could be available.
Old 28-08-2009, 10:37   #802

Boat: Newport 30
Thanks for the explanation of the functionality of 'move boat here'.

OpenCPN IS highly intuitive, Dave and that is one of the best things about the program. I have no experience with electronic navigation/GPS but I was able to use the program immediatly after downloading charts & plugging-in a GPS. In fact, went sailing with it last weekend and experimented setting waypoints, finding them in open water, setting-up a route & then measuring our distance & time, etc. I am currently using it to plan my next trip.

The lack of documentation, however, may discourage end users that are used to having it.

thanks again,
Old 28-08-2009, 11:19   #803

jerrymc..

To move boat surely you just point the mouse pointer where you want your boat to be be,right click mouse and select 'move boat here' and hey presto... the boat has moved.

I am using Vista and that works for me every time.
Old 28-08-2009, 11:31   #804

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymc View Post
The lack of documentation, however, may discourage end users that are used to having it.
We are working on it: My guess is the first couple of versions will be basic and more detailed things will be added as we go. I am going through the 54 pages of this thread looking for comments which indicate things which were confusing. This points to ground we have to cover.

The original 'in program' html approach proved very limiting since dynamic links and images weren't supported. As of the last build, the Help button now points to an external browser - this has greatly enabled what is possible with the help files, making better image examples and links to other pages/anchors within the document. Now CSS style sheets are fully supported so it looks better too.

By the end of this weekend, I hope to have completed the first pass on the new help file - currently its 75% completed. The change of buttons was a minor setback as the screen-shots had to be rebuilt. To further complicate the timeline, my boss has given me an assistant as " 'your project is at a busy point". My 'assistant' turns out to have green gills and at best rates as a trainee; it's just what you need at peak workload. Today I sent him out into the field with a GPS to collect data we don't need ... well, it's one way of getting things finished.

Rhoel
Old 28-08-2009, 11:54   #805
Marine Service Provider

Idpnd and Manimaul....

I am very concerned about crashes on right-click of track, and crashes of any kind. Very unsociable behavior.

For information, tracks are stored in the same directory as the config files, as

navobj.xml

Navobj.xml also contains all the routes and waypoints currently defined, for reference. However, the routes and waypoints are also stored in opencpn.conf(ini), and this is where they are read from normally.

I plan to move to complete xml storage of routes, waypoints, and tracks in the future. Current configuration is experimental, trying to determine if there are any performance drawbacks of using an XML format.

This file is updated only on program close, and not dynamically. Need to develop a logic for real-time updating, in case of crash or other failure.....

How big is this file getting? Are you collecting on time, or distance? Any other clues about the segfault? I'll try a long anchored track right now.....

More debug input welcome!
Dave

btw, all thanks to Rhoel_Asia, for tackling the documentation project. Samples I've seen look very nice, with more to come.
Old 28-08-2009, 12:03   #806

Boat: Hylas 44
Hi Dave

These entries are showing up in the log file. Are they a problem?

09:29:46: Could not find LUP for M_PROD
09:29:46: Could not find LUP for NATARE
09:29:46: Could not find LUP for RIVBNK
09:29:46: Could not find LUP for PRDINS
09:29:46: Could not find LUP for CHIMNY
09:29:46: Could not find LUP for SILBUI
09:29:46: Could not find LUP for TNKCON

Chuck
Old 28-08-2009, 12:05   #807

Hi all..
Does anybody have experience with BlueTooth from Aircable?
A friend of mine is installing a wind and current gauge and wants to transmit the RS232 data by long distance bluetooth. Any suggestions?
Tore
Old 28-08-2009, 12:48   #808

Track crash

This is interesting... right clicking track will only cause crash when viewing cm93 chart... I'll get you more info pertaining to this in a minute.
Old 28-08-2009, 12:49   #809

Hi Dave

More track fault info.

The fault occurs when nothing is selected from the track menu, when export is selected and when track properties is selected, but does not occur when delete track is selected.

Chuck
Old 28-08-2009, 12:54   #810

I see the faults on BSB ENC and CM93 charts.
Closed Thread