Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 24-08-2009, 21:02   #751
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
dacust....

Hmmm, I am confused....

Your bug report on Beta 822

"US4FL31M.000 is a detail harbor chart, but looks like OpenCPN thinks the scale is different. Won't let me zoom in on it.

EDIT: US5FL82M.000 is a similar chart to the above, but works fine. Both are detail charts surrounded by another chart with a hole in it."

I see 4FL31 as a coastal chart (4), and so opencpn lets you have a 4x overzoom.

5FL82 is a HarborChart......

Am I missing the point?

Dave
See examples here

It could be I don't know what the chart numbers mean, but they both appear to be higher resolution insets.

EDIT: Silly me. the inset is actually a part of a much larger chart. Looks like maybe an error when they compiled the charts.

-dan
Old 24-08-2009, 21:04   #752
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
I've successfully, thanks to gdal, converted a geotiff to bsb!

Will
WAY COOL!! OK, I guess I gotta finally build me a Linux box for home.

-dan
Old 25-08-2009, 04:02   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
WAY COOL!! OK, I guess I gotta finally build me a Linux box for home.

-dan
Don't build a separate box when you can just use the Windows Ubuntu installer, Wubi. Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows

Lets you dual-boot without creating an additional physical partition. Ubuntu creates a disk image inside your Win partition and runs from that. You can save files in your Windows directory structure, reboot into and then manipulate them in Ubuntu.
Old 25-08-2009, 05:39   #754

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
manimaul.

CONGRATULATIONS... you did it!!
My next question is: how do you convert a norml scanned raster map in .jpg to geo tif?
Old 25-08-2009, 05:53   #755
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
manimaul.

CONGRATULATIONS... you did it!!
My next question is: how do you convert a norml scanned raster map in .jpg to geo tif?
Maybe we should create a new thread on creating your own charts, so as not to clutter up the OpenCPN thread. There will be some cross-posting, of course.

I think given the breakthrough, manimaul deserves the honors!

-dan
Old 25-08-2009, 06:19   #756

In an attempt at converting regular scanned .tiff charts to a .geotiff, I have downloaded gdalwin32exe160.zip,but I haven't a clue how to use it. Are there any other easier programs around doing he same job?
Old 25-08-2009, 06:28   #757

I think already the majority of this thread has revolved around the fickelties of the cm93 chart format. Charts and OpenCPN are inextricably unitet,one is useles without the other.
If manimaul prefers seting up a separate thread at this stage on the subject of creating BSB maps for OpenCPN,then I concur. We're a multi-interest society here,all centred around OpenCPN.
Old 25-08-2009, 08:52   #758

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
cagney....

three issues:
1. Flat earth... Have you heard of the game called "Whack-A-Mole"? Look it up...

2. CM93 chart outlines: This needs some discussion.
Gleaning chart (cell) outlines requires reading and decoding the cell completely, since we don't know a priori how many M_COVR objects are present. These are the objects which describe the cell coverage.
So, there is a performance issue. The question is, "How far down into the cell stack should we proceed in order to find useful smaller scale cell outlines"

Example: At your favorite location Minerva Reef, the cell outline we want to see is a D-cell. If we are looking at an A-cell, we must traverse the stack all the way to D in order to see the required outline. OK. no problem, since there is only one covering B cell, and no C cell at all at this location. Fast enough.

However, if we apply this logic worldwide, then the performance becomes unacceptable, since we will be reading B, C, and D cells whenever we look at A cells. I tried an experimental version. Zooming out at A scale shows lots of outlines, but is unusably slow.

We need to limit the stack drill-down in some sensible, useful way. Perhaps as some function of current display scale? For instance, drill down far enough to display outlines at a scale of 25% of current effective display scale?

I don't know the answer, and I solicit comments.

3. segfault at Rockall.
Seems to be a bug in GDK system code. I saw it once, but was unable to reproduce. Looking into it.

Dave
Hey, I looked up "Whack-A-Mole", even played it a bit. Know what you mean!

CM93 outlines. It's a worry with all new feature requests, mine included, that the program slows down to much. I think you solved the "track" problem wisely by letting the user choose between speed and a finer grained track. My purpose with requesting chart outlines in CM93, was mostly for planning purposes, to know what chart coverage that is available.
Looking at Minervas again in the 2009 edition. The B scale chart is gone. Now you have a jump from A to D. The D shows up at zoom x16. So maybe drilling down the stack is motivated, for planning, but not for daily use.

I'm quite happy with the state as it is, but consider...

In "Chart Display Options" create a separate checkbox - "Show CM93 Outlines" or even a delux version with two levels of "stack drill-down "

Thomas
Old 25-08-2009, 14:15   #759
Marine Service Provider

dacust....

Looked at the ENCs in question more closely.

This is odd. Opencpn is doing what is expected.

US4FL31 is an approach chart, scale 40,000. US5FL41 is scaled 20,000, as in Harbor Charts.

Evidently, the survey data for Ft Pierce inlet does not support using a scale of 20,000,so the cartographers extracted that region, and placed it in the nearest covering 40,000 scale cell, which is U44FL31.

This is the first time I have seen this. Usually, as at Port Canaveral, the fine
scale chart appears independently, as a 5 scale, and possibly leaving a hole in the covering 4-scale chart.

This time, they extracted a "compilation 4-scale" region from a 5-scale chart. Makes sense, I think.

If you have the paper or BSB chart of Ft. Pierce handy, I wonder what the survey scale is?

Dave
Old 25-08-2009, 16:49   #760
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
This is odd. Opencpn is doing what is expected.
After my second look, I kinda thought that.

Quote:
If you have the paper or BSB chart of Ft. Pierce handy, I wonder what the survey scale is?
I may not be back down to the boat until Labor Day. I can look then. That is, I have a Maptech ChartKit. I think it should have that in there as an inset.

-dan
Old 25-08-2009, 17:05   #761

Traffick outside my window tonight in Ubatuba,Costa Verde, viewed with OpenCPN and FREE Brazilian BSB charts. Looking good!!

http://yachtmarine.com/httpdocs/COSTAVERDE.jpg
Old 25-08-2009, 19:04   #762
Marine Service Provider

Beta 825

Hello crew!

Opencpn V1.3.3 Beta Build 825 is available.

Incremental changelog follows:

35. Correct problem with Route->Insert Waypoint...
36. Correct (yet again) pixel and Route calculations near Lon 0 and Lon 180
37. Handle segfault in GTK library code associated with CM93 region calculation,
38 Improve CM93 Chart outline rendering
39. Correct Current Index entries for US West Coast. Linux users need CVS update.
----------Publish Beta 1.3.3 Build 825---------

Enjoy!

Dave
Old 25-08-2009, 21:08   #763
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkodsane View Post
Don't build a separate box when you can just use the Windows Ubuntu installer, Wubi. Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows

Lets you dual-boot without creating an additional physical partition. Ubuntu creates a disk image inside your Win partition and runs from that. You can save files in your Windows directory structure, reboot into and then manipulate them in Ubuntu.
Thanks for the hint. But I'm installing it on a separate machine. 22% as I write this... I just wiped an old 95 machine I wasn't using any more. Only a PIII, but it'll do for a start. If all works OK with the BSB conversions, I'll get a bigger machine to start crunching.

@manimaul - I forgot to ask, did you test the one you created to see if it works with OpenCPN?

-dan
Old 26-08-2009, 05:51   #764

georef conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
@manimaul - I forgot to ask, did you test the one you created to see if it works with OpenCPN?
-dan
It looks like georeferencing is being lost on the produced .kap files. I'm looking into why. You can open the kap file with a text editor to see the header. I think I can script the output georeferencing bit of gdalinfo on the geotiff and join it with the bsb ascii header text. Then, send it over to libbsb for compression to finish the job. Kind of hackish, but It should produce what we want.

Will
Old 26-08-2009, 06:29   #765

Embedding PNG into wxwidgets

I can embed the icons as png into cpp using png2wx.pl to produce
icons.cpp and icons.h. This gives us alpha on the icons so they look better and perhaps reduce the executable size.

I'm not sure how to patch chart1.cpp. This is what I have. chart1.patch
(Please be kind, I'm trying to learn C.)

Reference : Embedding PNG Images - WxWiki

Will
Closed Thread