Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 23-08-2009, 13:38   #736

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Does anyone know of a dealer authorized by Fugawi/Maptech to do BSB conversions?

Fugawi BSB Map Creator
Fugawi BSB Map Creator is software which allows Authorized Fugawi Dealers to calibrate scanned paper maps or import other digital map imagery and export them in the internationally recognized raster marine chart formats: BSB Ver. 1, for use with Fugawi or other leading GPS software packages.

The Authorized Fugawi Dealer must also have a license agreement in place with Maptech which allows them to create BSB maps.
Old 23-08-2009, 17:02   #737
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
JPG + JGW file to BSB

Just for the fun of it, here is an example of what I'd like to be able to view in OpenCPN. Even better, would be able to create BSBs from them.

Here are examples of a small section of Lake Allatoona. One example for each of the image types.

If you'd just like to see the photos:
Topo in color
Photo in B&W
Photo in color

I have the entire US in B&W photo and in color topos. The color photo sections only cover a very few metropolitan areas. The B&W photos are a lower resolution. 1/4 of the color ones. The topos are lower resolution than that, another 1/4.

The files:
ramp_x.txt - The file I created to tell TerraFetcher how to make the jpg
ramp_x.inf - I think this is an internal file for Terrafetcher use. Not needed.
ramp_x.jgw - This is the World file.
ramp_x.jpg - This is the actual jpeg.

I have successfully converted the jpg/jgw combination into a geo-tiff, so I know that's the information needed. But even though Nobeltec can read geo-tiffs, it couldn't open it. With geo-tiff examine, I could see some additional information in the tags, but couldn't decipher it.

If someone can get it to work, I can create B&W photo charts for the entire USA coast. And, inland, too. It will be something like a terrabyte for the entire US in B&W photos, but sections of the coast could be done with a few GB, hopefully. I may be off by factors, though... FIWI, the 2 different resolutions of 3 different image types takes about 1.5 TB on my machine. But I don't have all the color, yet. Actually, I don't have quite all the B&W. Less than 10% to go, but I need more disk.

So, have at it...

-dan
Old 23-08-2009, 17:41   #738
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Actually, the more I think about it, creating BSBs is probably not the way to go. Copyright problems if I started passing them around. But it could work for myself. And maybe a few close friends...
Old 23-08-2009, 20:54   #739

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Actually, the more I think about it, creating BSBs is probably not the way to go. Copyright problems if I started passing them around. But it could work for myself. And maybe a few close friends...
Perhaps we should start thinking about an open format we could build support into opencpn. A format like gml may be good. With gml it would be simpler to display multiple charts quilted together, it is an open format with lots of existing map data and/or good existing conversion utilities. Did I mention gml can be raster or vector. There is also great examples of existing open source code bases using it such as KDE Marble.

The other idea could be a nautical version of open street map which has grown to the best global street database in the world. They took existing open data like the tiger maps and made it easy for everyone to edit and add to. In fact the original author of osm was on FLOSS weekly last week (MP3). We could do the same thing with existing data from NOAA. If an open nautical chart database did exist with a decent program to accompany it, that would be killer.

Will
Old 24-08-2009, 00:11   #740

Boat: Leopard Catamarans
Tides

Hi Dave

Once again thanks to you and the "support team" for the awesome ongoing work. Any chance of incorporating WXTides32 rather than XTides..gives us guys "down south" a lot more coverage.

On a side note: I am based in saldanha on the south african west coast, a fully laden ore carrier Long Charity lost power and "crashed" into breakwater, gashing two large holes in its side(no pollution threat). Amazing to watch the whole drama on OpenCPN with AIS, especially as area was closed off to the public and the large ocean tugs started to arrive! To reduce the laden ore, to be able to repair the damage, the ore is being removed by helicopters! quite an undertaking.
Ports & Ships Maritime News

Thanks again

Mike
Old 24-08-2009, 00:26   #741

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Perhaps we should start thinking about an open format we could build support into opencpn. A format like gml may be good. With gml it would be simpler to display multiple charts quilted together, it is an open format with lots of existing map data and/or good existing conversion utilities. Did I mention gml can be raster or vector. There is also great examples of existing open source code bases using it such as KDE Marble.

The other idea could be a nautical version of open street map which has grown to the best global street database in the world. They took existing open data like the tiger maps and made it easy for everyone to edit and add to. In fact the original author of osm was on FLOSS weekly last week (MP3). We could do the same thing with existing data from NOAA. If an open nautical chart database did exist with a decent program to accompany it, that would be killer.

Will
Manimaul: You might have missed earlier threads on this subject. There is a proposal on the table to create KML-based charts/pilot chartlets as a OpenCPN side collaboration project. The advantage of KML is it will display as an overlay on Google Earth. This new application would avoid a heap of copyright issues of altering existing 3rd party data. In OpenCPN, it would display as a new layer, in the same way as tracks and routes. KML supports all the features (polygons, lines, points ad symbols) used on the charts.

GeoTiffs: Since some data in the KML suite will be created from Sat images, I would expect a tool to add GeoTagging to tiffs, PNG or what ever import image is used.

There is a nautical equivalent of open street map called OpenSeaMap. It appears to place a new layer above the existing Mapnik data. The site is in German - despite living in Berlin, my Deutsch is now poor: Hopefully your language skills are better.

Rhoel
Old 24-08-2009, 04:48   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoef View Post
Hi sinbad7,

The last 4 years I had 2 or 3 chart plotting programs open simultaneously (eg. nRoute, Ozi and Fugawi),using GpsGate to split the GPS signal, and switched between them, so I can use any chard I have any time.

For sure it works also with openCPN (tested).

Klaas
This is a neat technique I've also been using, to display either much different scales, or to view both head-up and course up at the flick of an Alt-Tab.
I recommend trying it.

Colin
Old 24-08-2009, 05:20   #743

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter
Sea140
I forgot to mention that you can also open 2 (or more) instances of openCPN and have them next to each other, either with different scales and/or with different type of maps.
Klaas
Old 24-08-2009, 13:18   #744

Klaas..

Thanks for the tip, it REALLY works!!
I am using a FREE virtual port utility from eterlogic.com which is very versatile as well as user-friendly.

See my display from the Gulf of Mexico today using different charts and scales:

http://yachtmarine.com/httpdocs/SPLITOPEN.jpg

Dave... Would it be possible to incorporate this feature in OpenCPN invoked by the touch of a button? Would save time to load and size each display. GREAT FEATURE!!
Old 24-08-2009, 17:09   #745

Dave,
If I enable tracking, once the track is finish and tracking disable, I have just to right click on the track in order to get (and see) the Track menu and even if I don't choose anything, the next right click anywhere on the chart close Opencpn. Or if I open the Track properties and close it, the next right click close Opencpn. It is the same for Export.
But if you delete the track, the next right click works normally.
Old 24-08-2009, 18:33   #746

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
tif2bsb in libbsb is the program to use.
It seems a good idea to use " -c 127" .
Good luck. Looking forward to see how you get on.

Thomas
Thomas,

Here is what I've found: writing bsb in gdal is disabled. In other words, you can enable it. I had a chat with the lead dev of gdal. Writing bsb is ifdefed out, so all you have to do is uncomment
Code:
#define BSB_CREATE
in bsbdataset.cpp

Frank says that the libbsb compresses the file better than gdal so that gdal doesn't infringe on the copyright. So, this looks promising, I'll keep you posted.
Old 24-08-2009, 18:49   #747

Boat: Privilege 39
On the topic of virtual ports when running under winxp, I had good luck using navmonpc from NavMonPc - this is kind of a cool utility which provides dials and datalog from the NMEA stream, and will echo this to a built-in virtual serial port that works just fine in opencpn (with no additional s/w needed)...
Old 24-08-2009, 18:52   #748

This sounds VERY interesting fellers...keep up the good work !!
Maybe there's hope for all my raster maps after all...
Old 24-08-2009, 19:12   #749
Marine Service Provider

dacust....

Hmmm, I am confused....

Your bug report on Beta 822

"US4FL31M.000 is a detail harbor chart, but looks like OpenCPN thinks the scale is different. Won't let me zoom in on it.

EDIT: US5FL82M.000 is a similar chart to the above, but works fine. Both are detail charts surrounded by another chart with a hole in it."

I see 4FL31 as a coastal chart (4), and so opencpn lets you have a 4x overzoom.

5FL82 is a HarborChart......

Am I missing the point?

Dave
Old 24-08-2009, 19:51   #750

BSB conversion

I've successfully, thanks to gdal, converted a geotiff to bsb!

This is super easy. NOTE: I'm not sure how to do this in Windows, but it should be possible.

In Ubuntu Linux this is how its done:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove libgdal1-1.5.0 gdal-bin
sudo apt-get build-dep gdal-bin libgdal1-1.5.0
wget http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/gdal-1.6.2.tar.gz
tar -xzvf gdal-1.6.2.tar.gz
cd gdal-1.6.2
gedit ./frmts/bsb/bsbdataset.cpp
uncomment line 42 so it reads:
#define BSB_CREATE
save and close

Code:
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig
So, now you've built gdal with bsb write support and can do this:
Code:
gdal_translate -of BSB yourgeo.tif yournew.kap
replace yourgeo.tif with the name of your geotif and yournew.kap with whatever name you want to call it. Please let me know if you're not used to the command line or need help. You should be able to replace yourgeo.tif with any supported gdal format.

Will
Closed Thread