Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 12:53   #601

Boat: Ranger 23
Send a message via ICQ to emagin Send a message via AIM to emagin Send a message via Yahoo to emagin Send a message via Skype™ to emagin
I concur on the wiki.
I'm looking at this huge thread trying to figure out how to make sense of various technical questions.

Would be nice to have images, areas for FAQs and areas to discuss new development, etc. I have experience setting up wikis for enterprise, so will gladly help.

My first question is, when you do a Make New Route, there is no evidence of other existing routes on your charts from previous sessions.
When I create a new route on a chart and export it, it seems to have various MOB plots for tests I did several days ago.

How does one purge these or know they are there in the first place?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 16:07   #602
Marine Service Provider

emagin....

This is confusing to me.
Opencpn automatically saves all created routes from run to run. They should be apparent on the screen at every startup. They may be individually deleted.

In normal operation, there is no need to export Routes, or use GPX-Out function. Exporting is intended for interfacing to other Nav systems or devices.

If you export a route by right click, you should get only the selected route in the GPX file.

If you use the tool GPX-Out, you get all the created routes and waypoints in the exported GPX file.

Does this help?
Dave
Old 10-08-2009, 17:47   #603

Boat: Ranger 23
Send a message via ICQ to emagin Send a message via AIM to emagin Send a message via Yahoo to emagin Send a message via Skype™ to emagin
Well yes it DOES Dave, thanks.
I guess some things in this app are not 100% intuitive.
It took me a while to figure out that when you activate the route tool, there is no other way to deactivate it other than right click on the route and say End Route.
While this is obvious once you figure it out, I spent over 1hr hunting around, clicking every button, hitting help etc.

So I guess my only comment would be to replicate some of the right-click (somewhat geeky developer) functionality over to the UI, meaning buttons, menus, etc.

But now I get it. Export does all of them.
Might be helpful if there was a choice, a list, or current/all option, etc.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2009, 02:25   #604

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDD View Post
Hi everyone.

I think a website to allow user updates to cm93 is a brilliant/fascinating idea. But what about quality assurance?
My favourite would be the creation of dated 'User Layer' files which would leave the charts themselves untouched - so that (say) if a buoy is moved or removed, the user layer simply places a 'strike-out' mark on top of the existing charted buoy. That way nothing is ever removed from the chart, and it is then up to the user whether to trust the User Layer information, confirm it, ignore it, or remove it. As such, this system would 'fail-safe' (in the sense that you'd be no worse off than having an out-of-date chart).

I guess what I'm suggesting is an extended version of the existing .gds user layer system which exists within CMAPECS 4, but which is intended to only store and display user-generated information relevant to a stored route.

User Layer files could then be generated by separate individuals to cover their home waters, and openly advertised and shared (with appropriate caveats as to completeness and accuracy), but without any fear of legal repercussions from modifying and distributing copyrighted charts.
Colin
Old 11-08-2009, 06:00   #605

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sae140 View Post
My favourite would be the creation of dated 'User Layer' files which would leave the charts themselves untouched <snip> That way nothing is ever removed from the chart, and it is then up to the user whether to trust the User Layer information, confirm it, ignore it, or remove it. As such, this system would 'fail-safe' (in the sense that you'd be no worse off than having an out-of-date chart).

User Layer files could then be generated by separate individuals to cover their home waters, and openly advertised and shared (with appropriate caveats as to completeness and accuracy), but without any fear of legal repercussions from modifying and distributing copyrighted charts.
Colin
I think this is the current way of thinking on the Chart Edit/creator app -I'm currently reading a heap of IHO documents and data on their data updating procedures. A new layer is both easier to implement, to publish and self correct. This overlay principle is the way OpenSeamap.org works - they do not alter the Mapnik land data, just create new data over it.

In the IHO regs, there is provision for marking data with a publishers Identity. Just how one gets a publishers ID I haven't figured out: Unfortunately, there is no provision I can see for homegrown charts/Chartlets - maybe the regulators need to insert a new IS number for user charts, one which would permit any chartmarkers name to be inserted (ie, non-commercial/Archibald.blitherington-smythe).

Rhoel
Old 11-08-2009, 14:32   #606
GDD

CM93 updates

Hi all,

The ideas from the more technical members here regarding updating cm93 are all very interesting. But what about the simpler task of recording known issues with the different versions of CM93? I suppose that would be so simple a thing to have in a wiki that there isn't much to talk about. Except I've never started a wiki before.... How do we get started?

I've made all sorts of observations regarding the differences between cm93 2006 and 2009.
Old 11-08-2009, 18:55   #607

EDIT: DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU I just found this:

http://www.bigdumboat.com/cpnscreenshots.html

Hmmmmm

Is there any sort of documentation or website that offers screen shots and a general FAQ on what this package can do? I read through the first 15 pages of this thread and learned some... but I am a non-techie and most of it makes me feel like the old TV commercial with the egg frying... "This is your brain on a technical chart plotter software development thread..."

We will be moving aboard out boat to full time cruise over the next month. All I have now is a hand held Lowrance H2Oc. I am going to install a 8" or so chart plotter at the helm but I also want a good PC based system to display below on the 27" LCD screen tied to the laptop. From what I can tell... this may be perfect (particularly given my generally broke nature at the moment).

Thanks,

Terry
Old 11-08-2009, 23:37   #608

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspringer View Post
Is there any sort of documentation or website that offers screen shots and a general FAQ on what this package can do?

Terry
This is currently in development: it means collating all the 41 pages of this thread to find the 'how do you do...' questions, document the newer features and present it in a user friendly way: I suspect there will be two final versions, one as HTML in the application and one as an indexed PDF. If anyone has other suggestions, now is the time to input them.

There is already a help facility in the program, just follow the ? from the top menu, then click on the help tab .... this has useful things regarding the program setup, hotkey functions etc.

Rhoel
Old 12-08-2009, 01:07   #609

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
I think the idea of online Wiki style documentation is great for those here actively on this forum, and other gear-heads. However, I also feel the need for a useful helpfile or linked PDF/HTML document to be distributed with the binaries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoel_Asia View Post
I suspect there will be two final versions, one as HTML in the application and one as an indexed PDF. If anyone has other suggestions, now is the time to input them.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Please publish whatever you have on a (moderated) wiki (I would be more than happy to supply the server space / wiki); this can be collaboratively edited/translated.

Then regularly extract a html/pdf version for distribution with the software from the (edited) wiki.

This is much more efficient for getting the writing process going with wide involvement of all users, as you don't have to send one file back and forth and worry about versioning etc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
3. opencpn does not show speed and heading . Leaves more room for charts. There is some discussion about a separate application to function as a sort of console for generic NMEA data coming into the system. Opencpn can co-exist with such an app using gpsd to share the NMEA data. Maybe we can get some activity going on this? There was once a "Frontend" application, written in Visual Basic (sorry, linux) that looked nice. Status? Maybe a linux port?

Other than NavmonPC, where development/discussion are seemingly frozen (for the summer?), Openpilot includes a working gauges widget.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:21   #610

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDD View Post
But what about the simpler task of recording known issues with the different versions of CM93?
Now that IS a good idea - something the rest of us could be getting on with without burdening Dave.

But first, there would be a need to check that each version being compared isn't itself corrupted. For this I guess there would be a need to establish exact filesizes and CRC's for each commonly distributed version. It would be neat if a user's folio could be automatically compared against reference filesizes and CRC's using an already written 'compare' program.
Quote:
I've made all sorts of observations regarding the differences between cm93 2006 and 2009.
Like other people I've found several 'funnies' with 2009 - the copy I have even crashes CMAPECS when trying to read some Production Information.
I'm still trying to source a copy of 2006/7.

Colin
Old 12-08-2009, 03:57   #611

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter
Please keep this forum openCPN-specific

[quote=GDD;316107]Hi all,

The ideas from the more technical members here regarding updating cm93 are all very interesting. But what about the simpler task of recording known issues with the different versions of CM93? [quote]

To avoid muddling this openCPN forum with (admittedly important) issues related to just one of the chart formats openCPN can handle, wouldn't it be better to start a specific CM93 thread and keep this forum concentrated on the development (features, performance, documentation, testing, release planning and you name it) of openCPN?

Klaas
Old 16-08-2009, 09:17   #612
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
When have I multiple types of charts loaded, it defaults to cm93. I can choose the ENC, but when I scroll, instead of loading the next ENC, it reverts back to cm93.

Could there be a configuration choice in the tools?

Choose preference for chart types:
>1 last used
>3 cm93
>4 BSB
>2 ENC
etc.

Or maybe order of preference?

If I'm looking at ENCs and scroll, but there isn't an ENC for that area, then it could look for charts of each type based on my order preference.

Separate issue:

I don't know if it was OpenCPN that did this, but I had just rearranged my charts into a new directory with all ENC, RNC, cm93, etc. I went into tools and de-selected the previous directory, then selected the new one. I let it register everything. Then I started scrolling down the coast from Charleston. After about 5 minutes of this, it froze. Then I realized I had no mouse. I used the keyboard to try to end the process, but nothing. Then I rebooted. Then I had no mouse or keyboard. I hooked up a PS2 mouse/keyboard. Nothing. Re-boot - nothing. Unplug wireless mouse/keyboard, reboot, etc. Tried to hit Enter where it says "Press Enter to interrupt normal boot process). Nothing. So I cussed a bit and just went to watch a movie. When I cam back, I plugged the wireless back in and it works.

Like I said, might be a coincidence, but this system has always run flawlessly.

When I get brave, I'll go back in and try it again.

-dan
Old 16-08-2009, 09:59   #613

Boat: Fantasia 35
Dan,

I hate to say it but what you described is the classic symptoms of the early stage of a heat related computer failure. If you have a laptop you can try one of those cooling bases. On a desktop check that the fan is clean and working. Also, open it up and clean out any dust and see about routing cable for best air flow.

Best of luck,

Paul
Old 16-08-2009, 10:56   #614

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
When have I multiple types of charts loaded, it defaults to cm93. I can choose the ENC, but when I scroll, instead of loading the next ENC, it reverts back to cm93.

Could there be a configuration choice in the tools?

Choose preference for chart types:
>1 last used
>3 cm93
>4 BSB
>2 ENC
etc.

Or maybe order of preference?

If I'm looking at ENCs and scroll, but there isn't an ENC for that area, then it could look for charts of each type based on my order preference.

When I get brave, I'll go back in and try it again.

-dan
I totally agree. Why can't you select which kind of chart you want to look at? It seems to choose for you on a whim.
Old 16-08-2009, 12:24   #615
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Dan,

I hate to say it but what you described is the classic symptoms of the early stage of a heat related computer failure. If you have a laptop you can try one of those cooling bases. On a desktop check that the fan is clean and working. Also, open it up and clean out any dust and see about routing cable for best air flow.

Best of luck,

Paul
Not a laptop. Had it open last week to see if there was an open slot for another disk. Still spic & span inside. Room is cool. During hard processing, I hear the fan come on.

But I'll load Everest and check the temps.

EDIT: loaded and run

Motherboard 39c 102f
CPU 52c 126f
Drive 45c 113f

Those temps look fine.

But I'll run it while scrolling through the charts. Could be it'll climb.

-dan
Closed Thread