Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 29-07-2009, 07:40   #526

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
2. Comments on Measure tool. Dave
Works for me on Vista and XP.

Rhoel
Old 29-07-2009, 08:01   #527

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Dave.. v 728 is working very well now on both Vista and XP. And most of my targets are now GREEN, hurrayy!!

One request for the future.. For a quick reference as to which vessels are displayed on the present chart,could a list of names be available somewhere? Perhaps at the click of some button? Sometimes,when sailing in heavily trafficated areas,(like the English Channel) it is too cumbersome to click ALL ships in order to find the one you want.

Keep up the great work,the sea becomes a safer place thanks to guys like you.
Old 29-07-2009, 08:37   #528

Boat: Etap 28i Wrenna III
Thanks a million, Dave.
Now I know I can cross the Atlantic from Guadeloupe to Gibraltar at the average speed of 30 kts in 4 Days 10 Hours 36 Minutes or so on my Heeson high speed M/Y, or in 06 Hours 39 Minutes in my private Airbus 330 at a cruising speed of 480 kts, speed sensors permitting of course.
No but seriously, this is a great job. I haven't detected the least problem in the latest release, the GUI options work fine, some CM93 chart levels are missing in my sailing area but this is really no problem as I also use Maxsea with French SHOM raster charts, and I do like the measure tool.
I still have to test the AIS module when I am aboard my boat in a few weeks' time, but I am pretty confident it's perfectly reliable.
I am always amazed people like you and your team spend so much time and energy, with so much competence and availabilty, for free. My most sincere congratulations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transatlantic crosssing.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	9127  
Old 29-07-2009, 08:56   #529

Boat: Dufour 35
I'm getting a build error on Kubuntu 9.04. I have attached the output from stderr while running "make".
Anyone else having the same problem on 1.3.3 Build 728??

Quote:
src/concanv.cpp: In member function 'void ConsoleCanvas::MouseEvent(wxMouseEvent&)':
src/concanv.cpp:369: warning: suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous 'else'
src/cutil.c:90: warning: 'cvsid_aw' defined but not used
src/georef.c:58: warning: 'cvsid_aw' defined but not used
src/tcmgr.cpp: In member function 'void TCMgr::LoadMRU()':
src/tcmgr.cpp:381: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'
src/tcmgr.cpp: In member function 'Station_Data* TCMgr::find_or_load_harm_data(IDX_entry*)':
src/tcmgr.cpp:877: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'
src/cm93.cpp: In member function 'cm93_dictionary* cm93compchart::FindAndLoadDictFromDir(const wxString&)':
src/cm93.cpp:4337: error: invalid conversion from 'const char*' to 'wxChar'
src/cm93.cpp:4337: error: initializing argument 1 of 'int wxString::Find(wxChar, bool) const'
src/cm93.cpp:4337: error: invalid conversion from 'const char*' to 'wxChar'
src/cm93.cpp:4337: error: initializing argument 1 of 'int wxString::Find(wxChar, bool) const'
make: *** [cm93.o] Error 1
Thomas
Old 29-07-2009, 09:00   #530

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Same here, ubuntu something on latest CVS:

Code:
STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"opencpn\" -DVERSION=\"0.1\" -DINSTALL_PREFIX=\"/usr/local\" -I. -I././include -I././src/nmea0183 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I././src/mygdal  -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -Wall -g -DocpnUSE_GTK_OPTIMIZE -DUSE_S57 -DUSE_GLU_TESS  -Wall -g -fexceptions -fno-stack-protector -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12   -MT cm93.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/cm93.Tpo -c -o cm93.o `test -f 'src/cm93.cpp' || echo './'`src/cm93.cpp
src/cm93.cpp: In member function ‘cm93_dictionary* cm93compchart::FindAndLoadDictFromDir(const wxString&)’:
src/cm93.cpp:4337: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘wxChar’
src/cm93.cpp:4337: error:   initializing argument 1 of ‘int wxString::Find(wxChar, bool) const’
src/cm93.cpp:4337: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘wxChar’
src/cm93.cpp:4337: error:   initializing argument 1 of ‘int wxString::Find(wxChar, bool) const’
make: *** [cm93.o] Error 1
Old 29-07-2009, 09:03   #531
GDD

Hi Dave

I have downloaded the new version and have been checking the spots where I saw CM93 errors. Two out of the 3 are fixed, so great work on that. I also like the measure tool.

The area that still seems to have a problem is the area you showed in the screen shots you attached with the post i've quoted here.

I am traveling right now and only have Cm93 May2009 with me, So I can't compare how OpenCn displayed this area in my older working CM93 version. But I do know that Cmapecs displayed this area fine using the older Cm93.

I guess the question remains about whether this area is really 'missing' or just not being displayed correctly.

Given what you have learn about the spilt files (with letters appended on the beginnings of their names), perhaps you can look closer at what is happening here.

If it is fact missing, its hard to imagine it beging intentioal. This area is a very popular crusing ground and the harbour at 50 03.7N 124 55.9 has markers and marinas in it.

I have the BSB chart set for the area. Perhaps there is something funny happening with the scales. A lot of the bsb charts converge on this area. When I get home I will send you a screen shot with the outlines and scales of the Canadian Hydrographic Services original charts which are the source data for this area. Maybe it will give you a clue.

Otherwise, great work with the update! I can't wait to try while out sailing with my gps and AIS set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
GDD, and others....

CM93 2009 is definitely different from earlier versions. In many areas, charts of a particular scale have been reduced in coverage. Who knows why, and how these things get updated.

Here is an example, from your part of the world.
I used the old windows CMWFW application to display E scale charts at the same location, with each of two CM93 datasets. See the attached screenshots.

The left shot is old cm93, the right shot is cm93_May2009.

Note the difference in coverage, and the apparent difference in density of depth contours.

Which is better? User's choice, I guess...

Anyway, there it is. Caveat emptor on cm93

Comments?
Dave

Attachment 9071Attachment 9072
Old 29-07-2009, 11:18   #532

GDD.. The cm93 - 2006 covers Cortes Bay to 1:3100 (E) which should be sufficient scale for any navigation. The same goes for Max Sea.
My cm93 v3 -2003 cover the same area down to 1:1000 but without further details just magnified. Perhaps it wpold be bette to stick to cm93 - 2006???
Old 29-07-2009, 11:40   #533

I have recently joined the newly established AIS HUB central server of raw NMEA data,giving me a good opportunity to test AIS targets from OpenCPN. Anyone who has the opportunity and inclination to provide a direct 7/24 feed via IP or UDP can join the network for free. Have a look at the present userbase: AIS statistics and vessel counters
Old 29-07-2009, 11:40   #534
GDD

sinbad7;
The new version of opencpn means that I can use CM93 2006 in my whole cruising area with out any errors. That is fabulous and i'm very much looking forward to it.

However; I thought Dave might be interested in the problem still happening around the Cortes Bay area in the newer CM93 versions. It might be evidence of an improvement still to make in OpenCpn.

Or, maybe the file for that area is simply missing or corrupt. If that's the case i'm still thrilled that Dave was able to solve the other issue with sub-files.

I expect the mostly likly explanation is an error in how the CM93 files were put together, because this area is covered by CHS using so many over-lapping charts at different scales.

From the point of view of a debugger though, this area seems like a good test of the robustness of the opencpn routine. If in fact the file is not missing, just stored somewhere unexpected in the D, E or F level folders with an unexpected name, then if OpenCpn works here it will likely work anywhere else.

Please don't confuse my comments for complaining.
Old 29-07-2009, 12:46   #535

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Man Over Board Facility

Just a quick thought - is there a need for a man-over-board button/icon?

Rhoel
Old 29-07-2009, 13:19   #536
Marine Service Provider

Linux build errors

Linux users....

The Gnu C Compiler is becoming more and more picky about constant character strings. That's really a good thing, but it is causing lots of old code to fail to compile.

So, I fixed the offending code, and updated CVS in several places.
Should be OK now.

Sorry for the speedbump.

Dave
Old 29-07-2009, 13:38   #537

Boat: Dufour 35
Thank you, Dave.
Compiles alright now.

Thomas
Old 29-07-2009, 14:11   #538

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Dave,

Nice job! The G level CM93-2003 charts are working fine now. I scrolled around and couldn't find any problems with the CM93 charts anywhere. The ruler is exactly what I had in mind - thanks! No problems so far. I'll be taking 1.3.3-728 around North Coronado Island in a race this weekend with AIS turned on, so I'll let you know if I see anything out of the ordinary.

BTW, one great feature of openCPN is that it handles going in and out of sleep mode very gracefully, which a lot of commercial programs don't. I use an old WinXP laptop on board, with a BU-353 GPS (USB powered) and a Comar AIS-MULTI plugged into it. The thing sucks power, so it's nice to close the lid, put it to sleep, and only wake it up periodically to check (and only leave it on continuously when necessary). I've never had a problem with openCPN recovering right away, re-syncing with the GPS when it comes on, and updating AIS targets appropriately.
Old 29-07-2009, 19:28   #539

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
... two separate IP feeds from entirely different sources,... I would like to know whether anybody else are experiencing the same?

I have a set of CD's with cm93 v3-2003 which are showing charts at all possible levels and details but are unfortunately unable to use them in OpenCPN. They are however an excellent source for producing calibrated raster maps in compressed .jpg format. I wish sometime in the future that OpenCPN would also accept this type of maps.
Hi sinbad,
please let me know your AIS IP feeds and I will give them a try and let you know.

What do you use to make those calibrated raster charts from cm93 files? I use a M$-PDA for backup with Navpak. Navpak is PC-based but comes with a PDA companion and digests homemade raster charts happily, only I have no convenient way to produce raster charts from CM93s.

Thanks
Henry
Old 29-07-2009, 19:47   #540

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
ruler upgrade

Hi Dave,
openCPN must be your lifetime passion or you are a genius in programming or maybe both!

Ruler: fine, I would, in ruler mode, use left mouse for new starting point (every new click sets the point anew) and right mouse for final setting end point.

yellow information window should override the menu box when right click, or the box and window should be kept apart. This does not matter at home, but maybe on sea with the mouse sliding around the ruler ribbon can be kept steady with the right click, but measuring NW the menu box will hide the yellow info box.

Great job!

thanks
Closed Thread