Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 00:30   #1156

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
I noticed the potential impact while adapting the code for png icons. But, to be honest, I see no real impact in actual performance on my machine.

So, lets use the new transparent tidesml icon in the next Beta, and see how it looks to others.
Considering we want to run this on smaller computers with less processing power and less energy usage, I think any slowing down for the sake of a minor graphical effect should be avoided. I hope you're not testing the impact on a core quadruple something
Old 08-09-2009, 01:28   #1157

If OpenCPN didn't have to display anything on-screen it would run a lot faster! I do agree with your sentiment though - minor eye-candy improvements should be avoided if there is any noticeable effect on performance on an average-spec machine. To put my comments in perspective I'm running OpenCPN on a fairly high-spec laptop, but I like things to run fast!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:34   #1158

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Considering we want to run this on smaller computers with less processing power and less energy usage, I think any slowing down for the sake of a minor graphical effect should be avoided.

idpnd, I agree completely.

Just reading the mission statement in the FAQ's again:

It (openCPN) is "concise," meaning that the feature set is optimized for daily use, and excess features (aka "bloatware") are not present. The application is thus smaller and faster, and will run acceptably on as little as a 300 Mhz Pentium-II Windows-98 computer. Especially, it starts up and shuts down quickly.

Klaas
Old 08-09-2009, 01:56   #1159

How much ram? 128MB enough?

Hi I am continuing to think about running this on a very small low powered device.. (phone)

I spotted that the freerunner can run Debian, so presumably OpenCpn would run OK on it?

Neo FreeRunner Hardware - Openmoko
Old 08-09-2009, 03:46   #1160

Assuming you haven't purchased this device yet, couldn't you run the Openmoko stack in a virtual machine with the memory parameter to test it?
Old 08-09-2009, 03:57   #1161

Hi

New member to the forum and new user of OpenCPN so be gentle with me :-)

Just would like to say I'm really impressed with the application and love the new icons/UI comments in recent threads.

My background is in S/W development (though it's been a few years) so would be happy to help out where I can. I'm currently running OpenCPN on both Mac and Windows so can do testing on both platforms.

Got a few comments on potential UI mods

1) Love the suggested icons and mouse hover functionality.
2) I would look at moving SOG/COG in the proposed new UI down to the bottom bar and just have buttons at the top - there seems to be real estate down on the right hand side?
3) Would be great it the button bar could be moved to the left or right hand side of the screen - a lot of new laptops/netbooks are widescreen and have a lot more pixels across the screen than they do vertically so this would allow more map to be seen?
4) Would be great to have a "full screen" mode where the map is all that's on display - look at VPN user interface on video playback or F11 functionality on Firefox/IE to see what I mean. Full screen map with the proposed new mouse functionality on hover would give lots of screen to the map and be the UI most people would use once a route has been planned and you are underway?
5) Is there any way to get AIS data from the web - I sail a lot in the Clyde in Scotland and have 3G modem connection - don't have the funds for an AIS modem yet :-)

Sorry if these have already been suggested - still reading some of the past posts on the forum.

Once again - many thanks to the developers - great job!

Mac
Old 08-09-2009, 04:53   #1162

Welcome..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascot View Post
4) Would be great to have a "full screen" mode where the map is all that's on display - look at VPN user interface on video playback or F11 functionality on Firefox/IE to see what I mean. Full screen map with the proposed new mouse functionality on hover would give lots of screen to the map and be the UI most people would use once a route has been planned and you are underway?
+1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascot View Post
5) Is there any way to get AIS data from the web - I sail a lot in the Clyde in Scotland and have 3G modem connection - don't have the funds for an AIS modem yet :-)
Have you considered the NASA AIS engine (no affiliation with yours truly)? At GBP 110 its the price of a few lagers really

Sinbad has been using the AIS via an online stream..
Old 08-09-2009, 05:06   #1163

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Mascot..

I am involved in maintenance and expansion of a world-wide FREE AIS network for a company engaged in the development of Port VTS software. I am also participating in this and other networks providing AIS data from my area in the Costa Verde,Brazil.

Most available data sources are only available on a data exchange basis and many are free. If you spend a lot of time as an 'armchair sailor' I would recommend getting a receiver and join one or more networks,the data of which you can also then access on your boat via 3G.

Here is a large FREE network you can access via their own,on-line interface.
Login
Old 08-09-2009, 06:32   #1164

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Mascot..

I am involved in maintenance and expansion of a world-wide FREE AIS network for a company engaged in the development of Port VTS software. I am also participating in this and other networks providing AIS data from my area in the Costa Verde,Brazil.

Most available data sources are only available on a data exchange basis and many are free. If you spend a lot of time as an 'armchair sailor' I would recommend getting a receiver and join one or more networks,the data of which you can also then access on your boat via 3G.

Here is a large FREE network you can access via their own,on-line interface.
Login
Sinbad

Thanks - looks good. Is there a way of getting a feed from this site into OpenCPN?

Mac
Old 08-09-2009, 06:37   #1165

Full screen

Quote:
Welcome..

+1!

Have you considered the NASA AIS engine (no affiliation with yours truly)? At GBP 110 its the price of a few lagers really

Sinbad has been using the AIS via an online stream..
idpnd

many thanks!

I have looked at the Nasa kit and does look nice. Part of my problem is that I don't have my own boat (yet!) so have to make do with bareboard charters which can have different kit/spec. I do my route planning etc on the laptop and take it with me and have had good 3G coverage most times so a 3G feed would be best for now.

Re your +1 comment, can you expand? :-) I've tried hitting the "1" key and the top bar flashes but doesn't disappear. I'm running V1.3.2.

Cheers

Mac
Old 08-09-2009, 06:48   #1166

Sorry! "+1" meant I vote for this feature!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:28   #1167

Quote:
Sorry! "+1" meant I vote for this feature!
Ah, got you <FX: Sound of penny dropping> :-)
Old 08-09-2009, 07:31   #1168

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Mac..

Quote:
I am affraid not...only if you participate...
Old 08-09-2009, 07:34   #1169

Android + Debian

idpnd good idea with the testing..

I just found out that you can also run Debian chrooted inside Android.

I might set up the Android emulator and give it a go...
Old 08-09-2009, 08:24   #1170

Boat: Privilege 39
You can get access to a TCP AIS data source for free (for personal use) for the San Francisco Bay Area without any registration/hassle. I'm not going to post the info here (even though it's publicly available if you know where to look), PM me if you are in the area and interested in it. I wired this in to OpenCPN with Eterlogic's virtual serial port emulator and it works great.
Closed Thread