to the forum and new user of OpenCPN so be gentle with me :-)
Just would like to say I'm really impressed with the application and love the new icons/UI comments in recent threads.
My background is in S/W development (though it's been a few years) so would be happy to help out where I can. I'm currently running OpenCPN on both Mac and Windows so can do testing on both platforms.
Got a few comments on potential UI mods
1) Love the suggested icons and mouse hover functionality.
2) I would look at moving SOG/COG in the proposed new UI down to the bottom bar and just have buttons at the top - there seems to be real estate down on the right hand side?
3) Would be great it the button bar could be moved to the left or right hand side of the screen
- a lot of new laptops/netbooks are widescreen and have a lot more pixels across the screen
than they do vertically so this would allow more map to be seen?
4) Would be great to have a "full screen" mode where the map is all that's on display - look at VPN user interface on video playback or F11 functionality on Firefox/IE to see what I mean. Full screen map with the proposed new mouse functionality on hover would give lots of screen to the map and be the UI most people would use once a route
has been planned and you are underway?
5) Is there any way to get AIS
data from the web - I sail a lot in the Clyde in Scotland
and have 3G modem
connection - don't have the funds for an AIS modem
Sorry if these have already been suggested - still reading some of the past posts on the forum.
Once again - many thanks to the developers - great job!