Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 31-08-2009, 19:11   #931
Marine Service Provider

Sinbad7...

Not too sure about Vista.
On xp, should be in

Documents and Setting/[user]/Application Data/opencpn.

It may be a hidden file.....

Dave
Old 31-08-2009, 19:14   #932

Location: Mostly on the boat. Occasionally at our condo in Port St Lucie, FL.
Boat: Manta 42 Sailcat -Toucan Dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Everything else is working fine for me. I am running Vista on my Acer laptop.
Perhaps this is a Vista compatibility problem?
Sinbad,

I'll try to finish setting up AIS using XP to see If I have the problem or if it is a Vista problem. Can you tell me which pins on the serial connector to use from my AIS? Right now it goes to NMEA in on my Raymarine Chartplotter.

Regards,
Chris
Old 31-08-2009, 19:22   #933
Marine Service Provider

Status

All...

Thanks for the quick reports.

Status is:

1. AIS Mouse crash: Understood, minimal impact fix.

2. Measure tool crash: Also understood, fixed, minimal impact.

As these two bugs are functionally localized, it should be possible to continue the testing with useful results.

Please continue looking at 830, avoiding AIS and measure tool.

Thanks
Dave
Old 31-08-2009, 19:26   #934

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Dave, I'm sure you are really busy right now, but I wanted to thank you for all you have done. I'm really in awe of what you have accomplished here, and amazed at the progress of OpenCPN. You have already raised the bar higher than several high $ programs, and there seems to be no end in sight.Great work!

OK, now my stupid question: Are their plans to ever make OpenCPN able to read and display GRIB files? I have no programming background (since I used my Ti99/4a to program Star Wars games in basic, anyway...), and I know not what I ask, but it never hurts to dream! Thanks again, Clear skies and following seas, Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 31-08-2009, 19:29   #935

pin 2 is rx/a
pin 3 is tx/a
pint 5 is rx & tx /b
Old 31-08-2009, 19:30   #936

Boat: Fantasia 35
Dave,

Reloaded 1.3.2 and applied 830. Now working good. Wheel zoom jumps when changing scale and there are multiple "clicks" of the wheel. From the log file:

19:13:31: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory 'C:\CM93\03300660/G' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)

There is no "G" sub-directory in 'C:\CM93\03300660'.

Paul
Old 31-08-2009, 19:43   #937

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Please continue looking at 830, avoiding AIS and measure tool.
Object query dialog has 3 buttons. 2 are not needed.

Ok - closes dialog
Cancel- closes dialog
Help - does nothing

Should remove Cancel and Help buttons.

Old 31-08-2009, 19:46   #938

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
I'd like to request everything and then not help.

Thanks,
Extemp.
hm, I'd like to help, but I doubt my rotten Cobol, APL, BASIC & dB knowledge will be of any help. I can only help testing and/or translate to German - though without basic knowledge of English one should not leave for the high seas and the local people have their local charts sticking in their Radar/plotters anyway.

AIS is back again, seems there was really no AIS transmitting ship passing by for hours... strange, but anyway, never trust any computer...

Btw AIS: surprised how many ships do not show their name (80% here in the Philippines) and when looking up the ITU page for those, the MMSI number can not be found too

Btw request: as someone else mentioned, "Strg C" for shipname or MMSI would be fine, just whenever Dave got nothing else to do ;-)

Wishlist 4 remote future: who knows a simple radar nowadays that could be used as radar overlay for openCPN. After all I ended up with Raymarine again.. now this does not come w/o a plotter inside.... but the Radar signal is in my PC, RNS (the Raymarine PC Navigation software) can display it, but if they can, maybe Dave or some else can too?

Particulars of Ship stations
Old 31-08-2009, 20:31   #939

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
who knows a simple radar nowadays that could be used as radar overlay for openCPN.
Most radars are closed systems as to it's protocol... if you were to add an overlay support. It would be a massive effort to reverse engineer. I believe the protocol to Koden radars and network sounders is open though.

However, I don't believe it's within the scope or design goals Dave has for Opencpn. (Dave, correct me if I'm wrong.) I personally like the simplicity of the program. Simple, powerful and elegant should be the goal in my opinion.

I haven't tested this but what I'm pretty sure you can do right now (somebody may correct me on this), if you have arpa, is track aquired targets on Opencpn using NMEA0183.

Will
Old 31-08-2009, 22:46   #940

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Most radars are closed systems as to it's protocol... if you were to add an overlay support. It would be a massive effort to reverse engineer. I believe the protocol to Koden radars and network sounders is open though.

However, I don't believe it's within the scope or design goals Dave has for Opencpn. (Dave, correct me if I'm wrong.) I personally like the simplicity of the program. Simple, powerful and elegant should be the goal in my opinion.

I haven't tested this but what I'm pretty sure you can do right now (somebody may correct me on this), if you have arpa, is track aquired targets on Opencpn using NMEA0183.

Will
"remote future!" I wrote, remember geometry, where do parallels meet?

Closed protocol: as CM93 ?

As my boat is still landlocked, close to shore though, the radar "sensor" is not connected at present, but in a few days I will tell. A simple Button "radar overlay" would not make it more complicated as long as you do not touch it! But anyway, for distant future when Dave retires and does not know what to do at home...

It would be a waste not to continue and further develop this great program. As it works with CM93, some day it should accept other vector formats too. US sailors are lucky, you have the ENCs for free, the rest of us is cheaper off with Navionics or CMAP. At present there is still a CM93 update, but for how long and not everyone feels comfortable with it.
Old 31-08-2009, 23:53   #941

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Sinbad7,

The opencpn.ini and opencpn.log on Vista are in:
C:\Users\yourcomputername\AppData\Roaming\opencpn

Some of those directories may be hidden so you have to go Organize...Folder and Search Options...View...Show Hidden Files and Folders and click it.

BTW Dave,

It would be nice if you could keep at least the opencpn.log in the home opencpn directory. At least if you have it you can look at it to see where the opencpn.ini is.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:53   #942

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)
Many Thanks ...

... to Dave and all the developers and testers involved in this work. I am league with Chris and sinbad7 in that while I am an avid (fanatical?) user of navigation software, I am illiterate when it comes to modern programming languages. C++ was my grade in Freshman Composition, and I don't really suppose you need my expired expertise in Fortran IV or Basic. Again, I really appreciate the skill and enthusiasm of all contributors.

I am running Build 830 on Windows XP SP3. I also have a Linux setup on Ubuntu but have not tested it yet on the water. FWIW, I had the same issues sinbad7 and others described with Build 830 (crash on cursor move with AIS feed). Glad that Dave categorized this as a minor issue and quickly located the problem.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:56   #943

Boat: Sailboat
Build 830: 47. Implement HDT, HDG, and HDM NMEA Messages, and show Ownship heading.

Dave

Not sure about this one, how is opencpn supposed to show the heading?

At anchor, zoomed in, with SOG about zero, but COG jumping wildly, the direction of own ship still turns randomly.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:31   #944

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Good morning folks...

Dave..
I have sent you the requested files by e-mail.
I once again upgraded to v 830 this morning which worked fine,UNTIL i connected my data feed when it immediately crashed. This time,however you can restart again but without any data feed.

I always have to start my data feed first and then OpenCPN. If I do the reverse,the data will not show up. We had a similar problem in the early days and I thought it was cured by now.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:31   #945

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Dave,

I got the latest CVS and tried to rebuild it using Visual Studio on Windows. after the rebuild when I try to run it I get "MSVCR90D.dll was not found". Did a google on it and it suggests it has something to do with debugging and that turning off incremental linker may fix it. I tried that but still get the error and I get it on both the Debug and Release. Any idea why? Thanks.
Closed Thread