Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 18-08-2009, 20:29   #646

Logfile

Hi Dave,

Here is my logfile. Thank you for your help. I try to uninstall completly, Opencpn four times (with erase of .opencpn and the log file), but no result., it is the same.

Jean-Pierre

12:23:13:

12:23:13: 2009-08-18 -------Starting opencpn-------
12:27:45: Creating new Config_File: /home/jp/.opencpn/opencpn.conf
12:27:45: Using s57data in /usr/local/share/opencpn/s57data
12:27:45: Using Tide/Current data from: /usr/local/share/opencpn/tcdata/
12:27:45: NMEA Data Source is....NONE
12:27:45: AIS Data Source is....NONE
12:27:45: Using WVSChart datafile: /usr/local/share/opencpn/wvsdata/wvs43.dat
12:27:45: NMEA AutoPilot Port is....NONE
12:27:45: Chartlist file not found, config chart dir array is empty. Chartlist target file is:/home/jp/.opencpn/chartlist.dat
18:39:19:

18:39:20: 2009-08-18 -------Starting opencpn-------
18:39:20: Using existing Config_File: /home/jp/.opencpn/opencpn.conf
18:39:20: Using s57data in /usr/local/share/opencpn/s57data
18:39:20: Using Tide/Current data from: /usr/local/share/opencpn/tcdata/
18:39:20: NMEA Data Source is....NONE
18:39:20: AIS Data Source is....NONE
18:39:20: Using WVSChart datafile: /usr/local/share/opencpn/wvsdata/wvs43.dat
18:39:20: NMEA AutoPilot Port is....NONE
18:39:20: Chartlist file not found, config chart dir array is empty. Chartlist target file is:/home/jp/.opencpn/chartlist.dat
18:40:34:

18:40:34: 2009-08-18 -------Starting opencpn-------
18:40:34: Using existing Config_File: /home/jp/.opencpn/opencpn.conf
18:40:34: Using s57data in /usr/local/share/opencpn/s57data
18:40:34: Using Tide/Current data from: /usr/local/share/opencpn/tcdata/
18:40:34: NMEA Data Source is....NONE
18:40:34: AIS Data Source is....NONE
18:40:34: Using WVSChart datafile: /usr/local/share/opencpn/wvsdata/wvs43.dat
18:40:34: NMEA AutoPilot Port is....NONE
18:40:34: Chartlist file not found, config chart dir array is empty. Chartlist target file is:/home/jp/.opencpn/chartlist.dat
Old 18-08-2009, 20:35   #647

Hi Dave,

I forget : I have only one file in .opencpn : opencpn.conf which is empty. No chartlist.dat

Jean-Pierre
Old 18-08-2009, 20:55   #648
Marine Service Provider

jpiebrig....

Please check and report the permissions for ~/.opencpn directory. Should be 0755 or 0777, (write allowed for owner).

Also, please post .opencpn/opencpn.conf

Thanks
Dave
Old 18-08-2009, 22:03   #649

Hi Dave,

Here are the permissions for :

~/.opencpn directory
drwxr-xr-x 2 jp jp 4096 2009-08-18 22:40 .opencpn

opencpn.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 jp jp 0 2009-08-18 17:38 opencpn.conf

opencpn.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 jp jp 3095 2009-08-18 21:39 opencpn.log

The file opencpn.conf is completly empty

Thank you to take the time to help me.

Jean-Pierre
Old 19-08-2009, 04:25   #650

Dave - thanks for the reply. I just found the GPX in/out which would be the 'save state' I mentioned and will suit fine. This however does necessitate an easy 'clean slate' button somewhere - perhaps with the GPX in/out buttons? I would not repeat not put it in the right click menu and I would have it ask for confirmation at least TWICE .
In the meantime, as someone who's spent the best part of the last 20 years playing with computers, I'll be perfectly happy to edit the .ini file.
Old 19-08-2009, 08:26   #651

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Can somebody please tell me what the red circle indicates? I sometimes find it in Carolina and presently near Gothenburg,Sweden? If I use Auto follow it centres the chart,but strangely the triangular vessel icon sometimes lag behind the red vessel icon before cathching up again a little later. If I had a GPS connected,would that red circle represent MY vessel? Presently there seems to be a default vessel selected,and it moves.

Is there any chance Dave that OpenCPN also could be made compatible with scanned .jpg files? In the past I have used hundreds of scanned and calibrated maps for navigation in places where I could find no BSB or S57 charts. This would be a very useful additional charting feature which is easy for all to use.
Old 19-08-2009, 08:44   #652

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Is there any chance Dave that OpenCPN also could be made compatible with scanned .jpg files? In the past I have used hundreds of scanned and calibrated maps for navigation in places where I could find no BSB or S57 charts. This would be a very useful additional charting feature which is easy for all to use.
Theres a tutorial for calibrating image files on the Seaclear website [zip file], also outlined here. Apparently you can make KAP files from image files with libbsb
Old 19-08-2009, 08:51   #653

Quote:
Theres a tutorial for calibrating image files on the Seaclear website [zip file], also outlined here. Apparently you can make KAP files from image files with libbsb
Yes,I am familiar with calibration of raster maps in both SeaClear,Shipplotter and Fugawi's Marine ENC, but OpenCPN does not accept these formats. The libbsp is supposed to be able to convert to .KAP format but nobody I know have been successful in doing so.
Old 19-08-2009, 10:01   #654

My cm93 chart is showing a pleasure sailing craft by the name of Swordfish,moored at Kjerringoen,Sweden. It is marked with a large red shape of a boat. Superimposed on it is anothe triangular ship icon with a blue dot which, I presume indicates the position of their AIS antenna. My question is, how is this particular boat selected? Why is it showing on MY chart? I have no GPS connected. I earlier followed it sailing through the fairways until they tied up in their present location.
Old 19-08-2009, 10:56   #655
Marine Service Provider

Swordfish

Sinbad7...
The red circle and ship-shaped icon are the current ownship position, derived from NMEA GPRMC message.

The target you are tracking is inadvertently transmitting its own GPS position onto the AIS data stream. This happens with certain types of AIS transponders, as their AIS data and GPS data are multiplexed into one stream. Opencpn supports this feature, and so it sees a GPS position in the stream and assumes that it is its own position.

So, this is not really a bug, but an artifact of looking at someone else's AIS data stream.

By the way, are you still having trouble with Vista/XP AIS display option dialog settings?

Thanks for the info
Dave
Old 19-08-2009, 11:04   #656

Boat: Dufour 35
sinbad7 wrote:

Quote:
The libbsp is supposed to be able to convert to .KAP format but nobody I know have been successful in doing so.
The Barcosoft people has put new life into the raster2BSB graphical front end to libbsb. Download and some discussion here.
Registration required. From one discussion.

Quote:
If you scan a chart, e.g. in JPG or others, you need to convert the file before using rasterchart2bsb to PNG with 127 colors
I have had difficulties with this front-end as well, but actually managed to convert an Explorer Chart demo picture (very small) of Green Cay in the Bahamas to a .kap file, that works with OpenCPN.

One guy reports.
Quote:
It all works. I got my scan (a 325MB, 300dpi, 24bit, uncompressed tiff) and reduced it to 150dpi and 85MB png.
RasterChart2BSB then handily converted it to a KAP file...
One day I give it another go. I have my eyes on those big kiwi .tif - files. Check these Chart Images.

Thomas
Old 19-08-2009, 11:13   #657

Boat: Dufour 35
Dave
You wrote
Quote:
The target you are tracking is inadvertently transmitting its own GPS position onto the AIS data stream. This happens with certain types of AIS transponders, as their AIS data and GPS data are multiplexed into one stream. Opencpn supports this feature, and so it sees a GPS position in the stream and assumes that it is its own position.
Is there any risk for a conflict here, between an external AIS signal with a GPS mix in, and the onboard GPS?

Thomas
Old 19-08-2009, 11:49   #658

MERGED AIS/GPS MESSAGES

I just realize the signals come from S.Y Swordfish belonging to a Swedish friend of mine who is responsible for uploading from his land based AIS receivers in Gothenburg as well as the French Riviera into his own as well as to Siitech's FREE Web VTS Lite network which I am using with OpenCPN.

http://yachtmarine.com/httpdocs/SWORDFISH.jpg

Thinking back a couple of years ago when I was following him on a cruise around the Swedish coastline, we had the same phenomena. In addition to his own ships target,there was a second target following close behind named "Ubatuba station",my own location name.

My only concern is what happens when my boat is within AIS range of a boat with a similar AIS transponder? Will MY location be shown on top of his?
Can this not be avoided with a correct setting in the NMEA Options box?

My AIS queery box is working fine now in my Vista setup thanks,my only wish is for the geo location also to be shown as well as the last observation time in UTC rather than so many seconds ago.

Thanks for a great program getting better by the hour...
Old 19-08-2009, 11:58   #659
Marine Service Provider

Cagney...

to clarify: The target is not transmitting on VHF radio its own position. It is merely adding its own GPS data to the AIS stream which it is feeding to the stream accumulator that Sinbad7 is monitoring. So, I see no conflict.

I'm actually surprised that the TCP data stream echoes these GPRMC NMEA sentences. They make no sense in a composite AIS data stream. I would expect them to have been filtered out at the TCP server side.

Dave
Old 19-08-2009, 12:05   #660
Marine Service Provider

More:

GPS position messages like RMC, RMB, GLL,, etc are never transmitted by AIS transponders. Certain type of AIS Class B transponders may generate an AIS position report for one's own ship, mux it into the ownship single NMEA data stream, and opencpn will in that case show a "target" at ownship position.

I see no chance of receiving a GPS NMEA sentence from another vessel from the AIS receiver onboard your own vessel.

Dave
Closed Thread