Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 14-07-2009, 01:56   #361

Boat: Etap 28i Wrenna III
I have just bought a second-hand 60 ft Orma trimaran. Her average cruising speed is 25 knots. Of course, I use OpenCPN aboard.
I wanted to check how long it would take me to sail from Port Fréjus to Calvi in Corsica, approximately 105 miles, though I had a rough idea. So I drew the route in OpenCPN, and opened Route Properties. I typed 25.00 in Plan speed. Time Enroute : more than 52 hours ! It takes me only 20 hours with my old 28 footer.
So I sold the tri for scrap.
Old 14-07-2009, 03:57   #362

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
screenshot?
Old 14-07-2009, 04:17   #363

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
All...

Ok, I'm back in the saddle for 1.3.4....

Query: We have received several requests for Named Route Storage/Loading.
I personally do not use this feature, but I'm learning that many others do.
So, how should it work?

Here is a proposal:
1. Saving Routes: Right click on a route brings up file save dialog. Save as any name you want. Saves as a GPX file.

1a. Delete the route if you don't want the clutter.....

2. Loading Routes: Use the GPX-IN toolbar. Select the named route file from the dialog, and load it.

For those interested, would this work as desired?
Perfect.

One advantage of the save option is it can be used whilst working on a longer planning projects - I have had marks disappear after an edit - this way, I can reload work-in-progress. It means too the file can be externally edited, cut into smaller chunks, route-legs borrowed from other tracks or whatever, then included into a new route.

And if GPX format is used, then folks can manually save/load tracks from other devices like PDA's running ODgps etc.

Rhoel
Old 14-07-2009, 04:49   #364

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
All...

Ok, I'm back in the saddle for 1.3.4....

Query: We have received several requests for Named Route Storage/Loading.
I personally do not use this feature, but I'm learning that many others do.
So, how should it work?
Thanks
Dave
Just an idea, do not know if possible:

my favourite Route planning program is VPP2 (Visual Passage Planner), VPP2 contains both 1 degree and 5 degree resolution Pilot Chart Data worldwide. has all pilot data for the whole world, can be downloaded for free, but only with one month data. 11 months more need a small fee. Actually the data is free anyway (US pilot data), you pay for the program and someone typing all this data in this resolution ;-).

My silly question now is:
Is there a possibility to install a route planner with this pilot data for those people who have purchased the data? After all it is asumed that CM93 charts are supplied from the consumer too, would be similar in this case, but to have it in one program would even be nicer and simplier.

You did ask how it should work, didn`t you?

openCPN is becoming a GREAT program! Fine work
Old 14-07-2009, 04:58   #365

Quote:
my favourite Route planning program is VPP2 (Visual Passage Planner), VPP2 contains both 1 degree and 5 degree resolution Pilot Chart Data worldwide. has all pilot data for the whole world, can be downloaded for free, but only with one month data. 11 months more need a small fee. Actually the data is free anyway (US pilot data), you pay for the program and someone typing all this data in this resolution ;-).
This is a typical marine electronics industry scam. The data is published freely by the NOAA. Particularly high resolutions are probably over the top considering seasonal/annual contingencies.
Old 14-07-2009, 05:09   #366

Boat: Etap 28i Wrenna III
@idpnd
Screen shot ? No problem. See picture attached.
It was a joke, œuf Corse (French translation of "of course". It means Corsican egg.) I could never afford to buy an umpteenth-hand Orma trimaran even if I lived 15 lives.
What I meant was that you can't plan a speed higher than 19 knots in OpenCPN. But this is no problem for me, the average cruising speed of my little boat is more or less 5 knots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Couper_20.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	8931  
Old 14-07-2009, 05:34   #367

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
This is a typical marine electronics industry scam. The data is published freely by the NOAA. Particularly high resolutions are probably over the top considering seasonal/annual contingencies.
Hm, not much electronic in a piece of software, yes, the raw data is free, I mentioned that, if you know another program that put the free raw data together so handy please educate me too,

but,

your reply did not in any way answer my question.

I thought the question was, how route planning could be implemented, sorry if I misunderstood this question.
Old 14-07-2009, 06:39   #368

I meant about paying for free government data. I have already suggested integration of pilot charts elsewhere in this thread; there's a feature request for grib files as well. I think Dave's question was about the specific saving and restoring of routes in GPX format.
Old 14-07-2009, 07:47   #369

Boat: Fantasia 35
Datum Corrections

Dave,

How about a manual datum correction feature. Maybe a set of "spin wheels" with an on/off switch. The spin wheels would correct the lat/long. Because there is some risk of inducing an navigation error when this feature is enabled, the on/off switch should probably be located on the tool bar and perhaps change color.

Thanks again for OpenCPN,

Paul
Old 14-07-2009, 12:16   #370
Marine Service Provider

Hello XP/Vista users....

We have one user experiencing problems with some charts on opencpn V1.3.2.
I cannot reproduce any problems, so am stumped.

If any XP/Vista users have the time, I would appreciate them trying the attached chart links in opencpn and reporting results.

Simply download the (.KAP) files, put them in some folder, and add the folder in Toolbax->Charts. The charts are in the Philippines and Guadeloupe.

Thanks
Dave

http://www.4shared.com/file/11808526...3/N0C32_1.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/11808747...673/P4214.html
Old 14-07-2009, 13:46   #371

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Dave..

Installed both charts in OpenCPN without any problems. Have no data to test in those areas though but looks fine.

Any results about MY problems with the AIS Query boxes?

Regards
Tore
Old 14-07-2009, 14:22   #372

Boat: Fantasia 35
Dave,

Both charts work ok on my XP box. I had to use CM93 charts to locate the areas covered by BSB charts.

Also, something I did while messing with these charts caused me to lose wheel scholl. Had to restart OpenCPN to get it back. No idea way and it's not a big deal.

Paul
Old 14-07-2009, 14:33   #373

Boat: Hylas 44
Dave,

Both charts work on Vista with V1.3.2.

Good job.
Chuck
Old 14-07-2009, 23:16   #374

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Guadeloupe worked first time. I had difficulty in locating the PI chart I thought the error might have been the file was .kap not .KAP but I was wrong - just user error, I just wasn't searching in the right place: I am wondering if this is the core of the original problem, the very small chart is there and loaded, just not the user not searching in the right place. Does that suggest a new feature where a chart can be selected from a chart table, then a GO TO... to force its display at P4214.kap.max_chart_limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post

Also, something I did while messing with these charts caused me to lose wheel scholl. Had to restart OpenCPN to get it back. No idea way and it's not a big deal.
If you try zooming out beyond the limits of the chart, the zoom-wheel stops at chart limit. But if you pan off the chart to force the chart to turn off, the zoom wheel reactivates and you can zoom right out to globe level.

Rhoel
Old 15-07-2009, 12:13   #375

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 10,25 m
Hello,
its me who have some troubles with theses charts. Im surprised to be the lonely people with this bug. Its happened on my 2 laptop, just after i updated the 1.3.0. Is any French users have tested theses chart? (maybe a problem with french computer, OS, keyboard...).
Closed Thread