Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2018, 09:24   #1

OpenCFN with Simrad Broadband 4k install problem

Many thanks to any kind enough to help - The radar is seen by the software but not sending data. As well, the 4k is dead quiet, with no noise or movement internally. The red/yellow power lead and ground are hooked up to a 3A desktop DC 13.8v power supply, and this is running though the RI10. I am running OpenCFN with only a GPS receiver.

The simnet light is flashing on the RI10, and the computer (Mac) is able to ping the radar interface - "64 bytes from 169.254.97.187: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.378 ms"

With red and yellow getting 13.8v, should the radar be spinning?

What's my next step? With the radar not making any sound, I wonder if it's DOA?

Thank you<

Willy
willyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 13:13   #2

Boat: RM 1200
Re: OpenCFN with Simrad Broadband 4k install problem

Guess you are like me and do not have a plotter compatible with the radar to make sure it works? I had some issues getting my up and working as well. You need to work out if it is a software ting or the radar itself. Only bombproof way to do it I can work out is to connect it to a compatible plotter and se if it works there. Else try and find/borrow/steal another computer (not a mac to be sure) install opencpen and the plugin and test to see what happens. Have you installed the radar up the mast yet, or are you testing everything at decklevel first to get it running?

My guess is this is a software thing.
How is the network connected between the Ri10 and computer btw? I run my throug a router and get a normal 192.168 IP address. The 169.254 adress do not sond right in my ear, are you sure it is right?
Tabaqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 17:09   #3

I have run it both through a hub and direct to the Mac ethernet port. Both
seem to show a valid connection. If the Simrad is simply broadcasting UDP packets, then the Mac should see them, I believe. I cannot find any documentation on how the Simrad 4K sets its IP address, but then again, UDP doesn't seem to care.

The radar itself does not spin internally - does it want a software handshake to spin and start sending data, or is the yellow power lead all it neads to start broadcasting?
willyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:32   #4

Boat: RM 1200

It will not start to scan until you turn it on in the software. With just power it is in standby mode. I have attached a screenshot of how it looks on my computer. The most interesting part is the info with IP and the other stuff. Does yours look the same? As you can see it does not send any data until I start it up in the software.

I have just assumed it worked over TCP as it sets up a TCP/IP connection, I might be wrong and it use UDP tho.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	o-radar.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	178410  
Tabaqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 13:23   #5

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Navico radars use UDP broadcasts so not directed to a particular IP address, ergo they do not care whether the radar is on the same network as long as it HAS an IP address. The plug-in detects radars by listening for broadcasts made by the radar and sends commands by sending broadcasts on the proper Network card.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadband, enc, simrad