Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 02:56   #16

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Open CPN won't receive XB-8000 Data over WiFi

It looks like it is reconnecting due to lack of incoming data. OpenCPN sets a timeout on the TCP connection. So if no data arrives within a certain time it assumes the connection is lost and tries to reconnect. It seems the reconnect happens without issue. So for some reason it appears the AIS unit is not sending data as often as OpenCPN expects.

It might help to turn on the NMEA debug window and copy the lines from that. Maybe something will show up there.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:39   #17

I think I might have some larger issues at play here. Looking in the watchmate app I'm having connection issues even there, if I do manage to get it connected the BUS continually cycles between on and off. Also, my depth sounder and radar don't work anymore. And I a couple of weeks ago the fuse on my solar panels melted completely (literally fused itself to the fuse holder). Lightning strike? I had always imagined that if something like that happened everything on the boat would be dead though, not just select items.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:22   #18

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Dear Sailingunity,

I suspected something like this, but you did not include all the plugins that were loaded in the logfile. Please unload or turn off all plugins other than the 4 that come with the program.

Then run the test. Watchdog_pi is the only plugin I know of that has a timer for the GPS Alarm. I have no idea why it would be turning off the flow of data!!!!! but perhaps that is what is happening. So please "Disable" all plugins that are not the original 4.

When testing for problems we generally try to isolate and reduce the potential issues, so if you are having trouble with the main program, simplify your troubleshooting by turning off all plugins and functions that you are not using and focus on just that problem!

Earlier it would have been helpful and quicker if you had more completely reported exactly what was happening on your screen and what was happening to the boat.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:24   #19

I have a ticket in with Vesper right now, since I'm showing no NMEA data over Wifi even using their own app, I figure is a problem with the device itself. USB still works though, so at least there is a silver lining.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:18   #20

Quote:
Looking in the watchmate app I'm having connection issues even there, if I do manage to get it connected the BUS continually cycles between on and off. Also, my depth sounder and radar don't work anymore. And I a couple of weeks ago the fuse on my solar panels melted completely (literally fused itself to the fuse holder). Lightning strike?

Ah watchmate app not watchdog. I am very sorry about the possible lightning strike. Let us know how it you fair.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:13   #21

It gets stranger - iNavX on my iPad connects and receives data just fine. I can imagine that something might be wrong with OpenCPN configs, but why would WatchMate also not work, while iNavX does?
Old 07-05-2019, 07:24   #22

OK, this is a bit of flyer, and I don't think it is the problem, but try renaming your config file from opencpn.ini to opencpn.ini.old and then restart Opencpn to create a completely new file. The make your Vesper connection under options.

You can go back to the old opencpn.ini later.

How far away is Opencpn from the Vesper Watchmate?

Now I am thinking it is a problem with your machine's wifi.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:48   #23

Can you make a hard connection to the Watchmate. I seem to remember a usb? Get it working that way first. Then you're going to have to figure out what is wrong with your wifi. Software, drivers, setting or failing hardware, bad power, etc the list is long.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:03   #24

Yes I can connect to it over USB. Using that method I can access the WiFi settings, I have changed the channel and reset to factory settings and still the problem persists. I should note that while USB connected the BUS state cycles between on, warning and off - which corresponds to the same times that OpenCPN seems to intermittently receive data. However iNavX still gets and uninterrupted stream of data.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:18   #25

Please give us the entire setup in one place, OS, Opencpn version, Equipment used, any other equipment. How it is powered etc. The problem as identified. Any unusual configurations.

When you connect to the internet via wifi, with this device, is it intermittent?

You could remove your wifi driver and reinstall it.

I'll bet muttinik would know what the problem is. I'm at the end of suggestions now, sorry. But I want to know what the fix is.
Old 09-05-2019, 18:32   #26
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
I think I might have some larger issues at play here. Looking in the watchmate app I'm having connection issues even there, if I do manage to get it connected the BUS continually cycles between on and off. Also, my depth sounder and radar don't work anymore. And I a couple of weeks ago the fuse on my solar panels melted completely (literally fused itself to the fuse holder). Lightning strike? I had always imagined that if something like that happened everything on the boat would be dead though, not just select items.
Unfortunately if it was a lightening strike you may find that other items will die in the future, or maybe not. Generally you should bear in mind that all of you electronics are now suspect. However that said are you sure it was a lightening strike and not just a crappy dirty fuse holder?
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 18:49   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Unfortunately if it was a lightening strike you may find that other items will die in the future, or maybe not. Generally you should bear in mind that all of you electronics are now suspect. However that said are you sure it was a lightening strike and not just a crappy dirty fuse holder?
I no longer suspect a lightning strike - not sure why my radar wasn't powering on the other night but it is now. Could have been a number of other things that melted the fuse but it is suspicious.
Old 09-05-2019, 19:08   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Please give us the entire setup in one place, OS, Opencpn version, Equipment used, any other equipment. How it is powered etc. The problem as identified. Any unusual configurations.

When you connect to the internet via wifi, with this device, is it intermittent?

You could remove your wifi driver and reinstall it.

I'll bet muttinik would know what the problem is. I'm at the end of suggestions now, sorry. But I want to know what the fix is.
Windows 10
OpenCPN 5.0.0+9065270
B&G Heading Sensor on NMEA2k
Vesper XB8000 also on NMEA2k
Nexus Start Pack 3 with Garmin GND10 to translate to NMEA2k. The start pack is powered on its own network but the GND10 gets its power from the NMEA network.

The vesper and NMEA bus both get power from the same breaker.

And just like that I fired up the OpenCPN laptop, and its working fine now over Wifi, the only thing is the vmAIS (vesper pc app) still shows the NMEA bus cycling through off and warning - but even when it says it is off bus OpenCPN is continually receiving heading and depth data which both come through from the NMEA2K network.
Old 09-05-2019, 19:23   #29

Boat: Valiant 42

Is it possible you have a neighbor with one of the so-called long range WiFi amplifiers? There are some 1watt units that can wipe out other nearby WiFi access points.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 14:07   #30

Sailingunity, maybe you'd better, let it rest for awhile, get some sleep and then move the boat somewhere else and start over?

Thanks TDan for the thought. I had never heard of that.

Tags
open cpn, wifi