Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2017, 04:57   #46

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Re: Open CPN with Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Save the money spent on alternatives to GPS and buy a powerball ticket. Your odds are better you will win the lottery than GPS going away for any length of time.

Google CHAYKA. Then consider if GLONASS works why do the Russians spend precious rubles on CHAYKA?
sailing Athens to Venice we passed below US fire as the Americans had kind of difference with Mr. Milosevich and we for a very long time no GPS signal! Happy the EU started their own now, better late than never!
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 07:21   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

I have a brand new and quite strong Win 10 (Pro) machine. Bought yesterday. Powerful processor, enough RAM, big HDD, etc.

What the new machine does - on its own - is beyond belief. I think Microsoft gets all thumbs down for their new take on how stupid the user is.

Not only that some updates take AGES over a fast link (out of the box, new PC, 2 hours just to download the packs) but also that the restart/setup process after a major update takes twice as long (4 hours altogether). I have simply locked down their 'Anniversary Update' as I do not think I am going to waste another day watching the thing going on.

BTW The auto update wiped out Cortana and changed my license from Pro to Pro Educational. Thanks Microsoft! Now I have Win 10 Pro without Cortana. Sweet bananas. That's very educational indeed.

Another thing is my 10 Pro came with all the 'collect data' toggles ON by default. Now this is a joke. Not just location, but also access to my images, to my personal data, everything virtually. And access to P2P for downloads and full machine information access to Microsoft ("feedback" as the called it).

IMHO: Win 10 is just Win XP, repacked and re-sold, with huge data collection tools for the use of Microsoft and disgusting update process. Your Pro license may get DOWNGRADED in the update (ha ha ha) process.

I cannot see where Win 10 is any better than Win XP. New machine, processor at least 10 times faster than the old one, fourfold RAM memory amt, 2 cores, etc. - and Win 10 interface feels not any faster than XP, not by the slightest margin.

Yes, operations like calculation and graphics are faster, but they are not done by Microsoft, they are done by third party, often free and open source, software. Apparently, people at such companies CAN.

The system works fine and has no rough edges but it is a disgrace to a company like Microsoft to act like this. I am a long sworn Linux and OS hater ... maybe not much longer.

Thanks Microsoft! For NOTHING!

Open CPN works GREAT! Windows 10 does not!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 07:57   #48

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have a brand new and quite strong Win 10 (Pro) machine.
Thanks Microsoft! For NOTHING!
Open CPN works GREAT! Windows 10 does not!
It is known since a long, long time that Windows is not a useable operating system. I don't understand why people still buy this ...

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 08:39   #49

This must be because this is what there is.

I walk into the shop and out of 100 machines there, 90 come pre-installed with some flavour of Windows, 9 machines maybe will be Macs (Macs here are about 2-3 times more expensive than Windows machines), and the remaining one will be a Chromebook.

I actually like using Windows a lot, but what they did to data collecting and to system updates is a pure apocalyptic future / romain noir movie - think of the Clockwork Orange, the 1984 and the Minority Report ideas all in one product! How convenient.

Still, after so many years of Windows development, there are dozens of useless tiles (Apps), but there is no simple way to check who else is on my network, of setting up a wifi hotspot or pushing a file to the other person in the same room. Connecting to a network based drive is at least a task for a family geek. Except today fewer and fewer families have one. This must be a joke.

There are Win 10 tablets with 32GB memory on the shelves too. I looked up pre- and post-update disk space on this new machine of ours (HDD 500GB) and the difference is a whooping 150GB. So now I wonder why Microsoft says 32GB machines are fine. Sure they are. Like hell.

;-)

I mean it. I am looking for viable alternatives. I do not think there is another Microsoft product ever coming under my roof.

Cheers,
b.
Old 22-03-2017, 09:05   #50

This is not the right place for your problems with Microsoft? Please go to a Microsoft forum!

This is a OCPN (sailors) forum! Here everything is about OCPN and the fun for sailing.

Aart
from the Netherlands
Aart K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 09:28   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aart K. View Post
This is not the right place for your problems with Microsoft? Please go to a Microsoft forum!

This is a OCPN (sailors) forum! Here everything is about OCPN and the fun for sailing.

Aart
from the Netherlands
But you can't run OPCN without an operating system or do you are able to do so? So let us know please!

Gerhard
Old 22-03-2017, 09:37   #52

Problems with W10? Choose another OS.
Aart K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 13:14   #53

Boat: Valiant 42

I just bought a new Win10 laptop a few days ago. It works perfect with none of the complaints above. Out of the box I was running O within 15 minutes.

I suspect there are "new" computers being sold with old stale versions of Win10. These old systems require sever GB of security updates and lots of reboots. These "new" computers may actually be quite old unused stock sold to unsuspecting people looking for bargains.

Updates are now mandatory to fight off malware and viri. Win10 is the most stable, secure usable OS on the market bar none. Companies don't need m$ft anymore because there are lots of alternatives. They buy Windows 10 and Office because they are the best on the market for the least $. Everything else is more expensive, requires massive support teams and does not work better.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 14:29   #54

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Updates are now mandatory to fight off malware and viri. Win10 is the most stable, secure usable OS on the market bar none. Companies don't need m$ft anymore because there are lots of alternatives. They buy Windows 10 and Office because they are the best on the market for the least $. Everything else is more expensive, requires massive support teams and does not work better.
QFT

I'd wager that the majority of users here have Open CPN running on Windows 10 with no issues.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 14:29   #55

Boat: Najad 34

My experiences are similar to TransmitterDan although I haven't bought any new machines but updated old ones from W7. I do agree XP still being the best but W10 is an acceptable inheritor. The ones in between I was not so fond of.
There are a couple of inbound apps I've disabled as far as possible, like OneDrive, OneNote, Cortana and stuff. I've also tweaked it to not update my alternative graphic driver but that's just to learn and then it works.
But W10 is great with OCPN and VS2013. The IP connection to my radar is very fine and all old serial/USB converters works also fine.
The only down thing so far is the major Win update destroying our oeSENC fingerprint but that may be solved I suppose. And my navigation Win10 PC is not connected to I-net, so no updates.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 15:22   #56
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

@barnakiel

Since I stopped using MS products on my computers over a decade ago, I feel qualified enough to make this small suggestion: please get a download of Ubuntu
https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop
and give it a try, simply run it live, without installing, just to see if you like it. If you then decide to install it, it will happily coexist with Win10 and offer you a dual boot install. While checking things around, have a look at Libre Office, maybe it will offer sufficient functionality?

@transmitterdan

Given what you wrote, may I ask you a personal question? Do you own MS stock or are you simply a believer?
Because what you wrote was pure marketing without substance...

Quote:
[...] Win10 is the most stable, secure usable OS on the market bar none. Companies don't need m$ft anymore because there are lots of alternatives. They buy Windows 10 and Office because they are the best on the market for the least $. Everything else is more expensive, requires massive support teams and does not work better.
This is not meant to be an invitation to flame war, nor to 'which Linux distro is better', it is merely a suggestion that there are noteworthy alternatives to try should one reach high dissatisfaction level with MS Windows.

Happy testing!
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 18:54   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
This is not meant to be an invitation to flame war, nor to 'which Linux distro is better', it is merely a suggestion that there are noteworthy alternatives to try should one reach high dissatisfaction level with MS Windows.
It is always a question of experience. If one knows only one system he can't judge about others.

Gerhard
Old 23-03-2017, 03:39   #58
Marine Service Provider

and windows is hardly an OS anymore,,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
But you can't run OPCN without an operating system or do you are able to do so? So let us know please!

Gerhard
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 06:04   #59

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
@transmitterdan

Given what you wrote, may I ask you a personal question? Do you own MS stock or are you simply a believer?
Because what you wrote was pure marketing without substance...

Happy testing!
I have nothing to do with m$ft. In my travels and work I see and use lots of Linux, Mac and Windows systems. Microsoft has for years been shipping inferior OS and desktop software. Every once in a while they will release something that is really stable. Office 2003, XP, Win 7, Win 10 and Office 2016 are in that category. Win10 is a rock solid OS. I can just about get any OS to crash and any application to dump. I seem to have a knack for finding holes in software. So far I have never personally seen a BSOD on Win 10 but I know it happens, usually due to a virus or hardware issue.

Yes, I know Win10 keeps downloading updates. But that's the price for complex systems in today's world of nefarious people and governments. Every OS has security holes, no encryption is unbreakable and you cannot use a computer on the Internet without being traceable no matter what OS you have. I have a Linux virtual machine (Ubuntu 16) and it will download updates almost every day if I ask it to check and once a week if I don't ask. Heck, even OpenCPN downloads lots of new chart files every week. ISPs will soon be able to sell the list of web sites we visit, when and how often. It's inevitable under the current US administration.

An observation: I work quite a lot with a branch of NASA. That group allows employees to choose what OS they want. About half choose MAC (almost none Linux). When we are starting a meeting the Windows people are often sitting waiting for a few of the MAC people to figure out how to connect video, get connected to the wifi or some other non-standard thing using a hodge-podge of adapters and dongles. In years past it was the reverse.

For all their past sins the people in Redmond have listened to customers and the industry and are producing top notch desktop and laptop software these days. It is only fair I think to acknowledge that. There is great software coming from the open source community too but the free price is often offset by significant self training required.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 06:17   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aart K. View Post

Aart
from the Netherlands

You are right Aart from the Netherlands, probably too much Windows 10 talk in an "Open CPN with Windows 10" thread!

All my fault too, as I vented my disappointment and disgust getting a new Windows 10 machine ready for my Open CPN 4.6 installation. I am dramatic at places, true. This is the way I am. They say it takes all kinds to make humankind.

You know I have been living in Canary Islands for so long now that I have nearly become a quasi-latino. We are all about talk and talk and more talk here.

Apologies to all readers who felt concerned with my rant.

barnakiel
from the Canary Islands

Tags
open cpn, wind