Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 07:04   #31

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Open CPN with Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
However.. On "consumer" grade routers, you may not be able to block all those address as consumer grade routers usually have a 30 host limit. Here is a good article on using the built in Windows Firewall to do it (just add the update hosts to this list). Of course the disadvantage of this is never getting updates even when you have a fast connection.
Stop Windows 10 spying on you using just Windows Firewall

Of course you can always go back to Windows 7 if the hardware manufacturer supplies drivers. For me, I prefer the new OS and features and going through the blocking headache. Hopefully Microsoft will eventually get their head out of their ass and realize their strategy won't work for all customers.
It is not so much the spying but the constant forcing of updates and external control. I lost all my printer setups for 3 different locations on 2 PC's. New banal MS "apps" keep turning up and reappearing after being uninstalled. The last straw was a reboot that occurred while transferring photos between PC's overnight that took hours to sort out.

Agree that what you say is doable and actually think W10 is quite slick but this just isn't practical on a boat. One day of Wifi in port and your PC's have problems for days / weeks afterwards while at sea before you even realise something has changed. MS don't care if a few users are pi$%£d off, as far as they are concerned it is just tough.

From the oldest to the newest I haven't had any issues with drivers on any of my PC's going back to W7.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 07:06   #32

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Also, it's been speculated that Windows will evolve into a subscription model like Office 365 so if that is the case, phoning home will be here to stay.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 07:16   #33

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
It is not so much the spying but the constant forcing of updates and external control. I lost all my printer setups for 3 different locations on 2 PC's. New banal MS "apps" keep turning up and reappearing after being uninstalled. The last straw was a reboot that occurred while transferring photos between PC's overnight that took hours to sort out.

Agree that what you say is doable and actually think W10 is quite slick but this just isn't practical on a boat. One day of Wifi in port and your PC's have problems for days / weeks afterwards while at sea before you even realise something has changed. MS don't care if a few users are pi$%£d off, as far as they are concerned it is just tough.

From the oldest to the newest I haven't had any issues with drivers on any of my PC's going back to W7.
Hmm I haven't had any of those problems on any of my PCs (or my clients). We have 3 Windows 10 PCs on our boat.

I caveat that by saying I use Windows 10 Pro only. I haven't even seen the Home version. Maybe Home version gets different things!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 07:25   #34

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

The home version doesn't have as much control over turning off updates unless you dig well under the hood. I can't recall the specifics but they're easy to find documented online. I'd stay with the Pro version if deploying in an environment with limited connectivity.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 07:33   #35

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Hmm I haven't had any of those problems on any of my PCs (or my clients). We have 3 Windows 10 PCs on our boat.

I caveat that by saying I use Windows 10 Pro only. I haven't even seen the Home version. Maybe Home version gets different things!
At the time I was running 5 PC's - Win 7 (32bit) Home, Win 7 (64bit) Pro, Win 10 (64) Home, Win 10 (64) Pro and Win 8.1. Only the Win 10 PC's had trouble. At the time updating was on because of good internet. There is better but not total control of updates in Win 10 Pro.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 07:40   #36

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
At the time I was running 5 PC's - Win 7 (32bit) Home, Win 7 (64bit) Pro, Win 10 (64) Home, Win 10 (64) Pro and Win 8.1. Only the Win 10 PC's had trouble. At the time updating was on because of good internet. There is better but not total control of updates in Win 10 Pro.
Strange.. We have haven't seen any of those issues, even at my client location. They have over 4K printers and I'm pretty sure someone would complain if printers disappeared. We also haven't had any Apps force installed. We did have the Store icon reappear, but found a GPO to turn that off.

The forced updated issue we deal with using SCCM and firewalls. On our boat, I use a firewall and allow the laptops to update as they please when off the boat (McDonalds, Coffee Shop, ect). No issues for us yet!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:11   #37

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

I don't want windows to download, upload or talk to anybody unless I specifically ask it to do so.
I have not been able to make windows 10 totally quiet, so I downgraded my onboard PC to Win8.1 where I seem to have enough control.

I do like Win10 on my home PC, but its not suitable for every location.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 22:28   #38

Hello,

I own an older toughbook CF-30 with a build in GPS. I know it is located in COMM 3, for running GPSinfo I get a signal with my lats and longs, the
"status" says not fixed. But its there. I open CPN, add COMM 3, and get nothing. No connection seems to be made.
Before windows 10 I was using vista, where it was running fine until the OS died, and I went with ubuntu, but could never get the GPS to be read by that OS.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

andrew
ap.thoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:50   #39
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap.thoms View Post
Hello,

I own an older toughbook CF-30 with a build in GPS. I know it is located in COMM 3, for running GPSinfo I get a signal with my lats and longs, the
"status" says not fixed. But its there. I open CPN, add COMM 3, and get nothing. No connection seems to be made.
Before windows 10 I was using vista, where it was running fine until the OS died, and I went with ubuntu, but could never get the GPS to be read by that OS.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

andrew
Opencpn need exclusive access to the GPS. Be sure to shut down GPSinfo and other programs accessing the GPS before starting Opencpn.

My personal option is to avoid win10 on a on-board pc. Win 10 will always perform a lot of network traffic to windows servers and unless you have no internet onboard or a onboard broadband connection (rare), windows10 will choke your onboard internet band with with windows spyware traffic.

The Thoughbook CF-30 GPS will work fine with Ubuntu, instructions here: Getting GPS to work on the CF-30 Mk1 under Ubuntu 13.05

Xunbuntu is lightweight and works excellent with Opencpn Get Xubuntu « Xubuntu
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 14:26   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
Note he saidBU353 version S4 not the original BU353 puck. I had to buy the newer one for Win 8 as there were no drivers for it, only cost a few dollars via amazon so annoying but not disastrous. In the Win 10 upgrade WIN 10 checked and installed all new drivers and even got some stuff working that previously didn't with '8' ( like my scanner software)
I'm having a related issue. My XP machine about croaked so I got a new ASUS and am trying to get that up and running. I'm new to Win 10.

So OpenCPN seems to be OK.
I got the new puck BU 353-S4.
The puck comes with a little utility so I can see the puck is working.
But I neve get a GPS signal to OpenCPN, the red dot never turns green.

(Also, what is that blue arrow next to the GPS red dot mean?)

Any help appreciated.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 15:20   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Never mind. Amazing what reading instructions will do!
Old 10-01-2017, 15:46   #42
Marine Service Provider

First of all, turn off all other utilities and programs that are using the GPS including the utility that came with the GPS - The GPS can only be used by 1 program at time so Opencpn will not be able to use the GPS if another program is using the GPS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I'm having a related issue. My XP machine about croaked so I got a new ASUS and am trying to get that up and running. I'm new to Win 10.

Any help appreciated.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 20:07   #43

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

Any help appreciated.
The gps utility never worked well for me either, but within OpenCPN tools/options/ gps input you can chose to display the data stream. IIRC it will only display here or on the utility but not both simultaneously. in my case at home indoors I had to take my (also ASUS) WIN 10 laptop and puck outside in clear ground to get an initial fix and turn the red light green, after that it would work albeit losing a fix from time to time as we are in a solid steel reinforced concrete condo building ON the boat a fix was rapidly achieved and retained, even with the puck below decks. Mine is not currently in use since our boat has been sold pending a possible return to Europe and a restart there.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:32   #44

Boat: Najad 34

hpeer...
I think most of your Qs will be answered here:
GPS Setup | Official OpenCPN Homepage
GPS Setup and Status | Official OpenCPN Homepage
All wikis are also available by the "?" icon on your OCPN tools bar.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:27   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
hpeer...
I think most of your Qs will be answered here:
GPS Setup | Official OpenCPN Homepage
GPS Setup and Status | Official OpenCPN Homepage
All wikis are also available by the "?" icon on your OCPN tools bar.
Håkan
Yes, up page I noted I found the directions and they worked. Once I set up the puck properly it just worked.

Thanks.

Tags
open cpn, wind