Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-03-2015, 07:37   #1

Open CPN question

I have just downloaded Open CPN and am trying to learn it. I downloaded the vector charts for Lake Erie from the NOAA website. When I view the charts at small scale, some areas are blanked out until I zoom in. This is not very convenient for route planning. Is there a way around this? I can't find any mention of this in the user's manual.

msmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:08   #2

Re: Open CPN question

In the settings menu, the wrench icon, there are lots of settings for chart display options. Lower right cormer is a slider that controls detail level at different zoom level.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:23   #3

This is how vector charts work by design, that's why so many people prefer their raster counterparts, especially for route planning.
Still Andy's suggestion above applies and should help you to make the vector charts work more to your liking.

nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 19:26   #4

If you quilt the charts wont that address this issue?
When you swim in the sea...
And an eel bites your knee...
... That's a morayyyyy
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 21:52   #5

Quilting didn't seem to make a difference. The vector charts just didn't display until zoomed in. However, I noticed some little "bubbles" at the bottom of the screen which switches the view from chart to chart. That allows me to switch between all the loaded raster or vector charts, so I can use raster charts for small scale chart viewing or course planning and switch to the vector charts for large scale or for actual GPS navigation. I like the raster charts because they look more like "real" paper charts, but there's so much more info on a good vector chart. Seems to be an OK system.
Thanks for the help everyone. I've just started using the system (actually just playing with it since my boat won't launch for another 2 months) and I'm sure I won't really learn how to use it until it's on the boat.
msmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote

open cpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: