Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2015, 17:33   #16

Boat: 29'
Re: open cpn on an ipad

ah, well. Seagulls believe sexual activity outside the mating season saps our mental powers - we maybe don't have much to spare but...
your first 1) means that the US Navy could install a GPL app like Opencpn on all its laptops from a single master...
The second 2) means it cannot ,with apps from the Apple store.

This seems similar to a pretty common caveat among freewares. Free to a single user but not for "business" use.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 04:01   #17

I use SEAiq a bit; it does have a few nice features.
- It's built on a different widget set that gives a much nicer native OSX experience
- It is more reliable - I've posted a number of OCPN crashes (including stack traces) that have never been explained
- It hooks up to an AIS database (good only when on the Internet) which makes for fun armchair sailing
- The tide and current prediction is useful - it gets data from a number of sites including xtide, NOAA NDBC, and Canada (plus several other countries) - it's an feature under active development
- I like how the data bars work, but that's taste not functionality
- Overall the aesthetic is easier for me to use - it offers fewer customizations, but has made good UI choices
- It can handle grb2 format weather data

SEAiq is not aimed at quite the same crowd as OCPN - it's designed for tug captains and bar pilots with specific functionality for them (that I'm not going to list).

OCPN has its own merits:
- Additional functionality through the plugins such as weather routing
- Smarter chart downloading wrt NOAA charts
- Better weather overlays
- Radar overlay (if your lucky)
- And I'm sure many more

I'm not sure which uses less power - so far I've been able to leave my Mac running off the inverter much of the time and have both on simultaneously
fogmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 16:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
OK, I read that article and it just reinforces my opinion that if geeks got laid more, there wouldn't be these silly types of problems.
You're barking up the wrong tree. Talk to Apple's legal department, not the devs.
Yens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 06:11   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogmachine View Post
SEAiq is not aimed at quite the same crowd as OCPN - it's designed for tug captains and bar pilots with specific functionality for them (that I'm not going to list).
There is an iPad version that is more recreational-oriented and does not contain all of the commercial functionality (unless you pay a lot more for them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yens View Post
You're barking up the wrong tree. Talk to Apple's legal department, not the devs.
My comments were directed at both parties. Seems like neither will/can bend to address what is a nonsense problem in practice. (the US Navy is NOT going to go to the Apple store to load up all its warship iPads with freeware regardless if licensing met GNU - it's not even going to be using iPads for warship navigation).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 06:32   #20

Boat: Amel Sharki

When you talk about warships and war there is another thing to be aware of: Apple doesn't allow any malware, buggy and instable soft and nothing like wxWidgets frameworks in his store. So e.g. Flash doesn't run with iOS devices to give hackers no chance to take over the Apple devices. Developers should use Objective-C or better Swift for the App Store and therefore a complete rewrite of OCPN is needed which no one is able to do.

As you might know Google is not such as restrictive and therefore a lot of malware can be found in its Play Store.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 09:43   #21

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
.....(the US Navy is NOT going to go to the Apple store to load up all its warship iPads with freeware regardless if licensing met GNU - it's not even going to be using iPads for warship navigation).

Mark
apparently One need be so very careful choosing analogies - I suppose I might have said "an organization with a large multiple of terminals sharing coordinated software" or the like, but I agree.

I'd guess Itunes would not allow them to sail without "synching" or whatever
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 15:59   #22

The problem with seaiq is that at the pilot paid version they removed support for CM93 charts. Many of us bought this app for this particular reason but now we are disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tassosmavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:06   #23

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
If you don't know why do you post?

Gerhard
Because I felt like it.
chadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 13:29   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassosmavr View Post
The problem with seaiq is that at the pilot paid version they removed support for CM93 charts. Many of us bought this app for this particular reason but now we are disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, many people including myself, chose and paid for this app solely for its advertised CM93 support, and SEAiq isn't cheap ($44 with tax for Open). My iPad updated apps automatically and I didn't see the update description until it was too late. The author won't give anyone the time of day, passing it off as an "inconvenience" to his paid customers. Maintaining a free app, sure, do what you want with it. When people make the decision to pay based on a specific product description, not so much. Pathetic, all else aside.
austral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 23:56   #25

Definitely disappointing.
tassosmavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 13:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yens View Post
There are dozens and dozens of open source licenses. The OpenCPN devs chose one of the few which is incompatible with the App Store rules. The OpenCPN devs could release the software using a slightly more permissive open source license and then there would not be any problem with the App Store rules.

There are many open source software apps available from the App Store. VLC is a notable example. VLC was previously released using an open source license that was incompatible with the App Store rules. Now it is compatible.
Old 22-01-2016, 13:49   #27

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Maybe we should look at why the GPL is incompatible with the apple store. I think it's revealing who has taken the wrong path..

If for example you decided to change your license because apple said so, even though it's impossible without consent from all the developers, now we would be allowing apple to decide something that is not for them to decide.

Wouldn't it be easier just to install linux or android on your ipad? I don't even understand why people who want to use free software would have an ipad anyway.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 15:59   #28
Marine Service Provider

mcarling...

The thing about GPL that Apple does not like is simply this, paraphrased:

No matter how you got a GPL app (free, or paid), GPL requires that you must be able to give it away, or sell it, without further restriction, to as many people as you want to. By whatever distribution channel you like.

This is clearly incompatible with Apple's business plan.

And this one point helps to illustrate which open source licenses are truly "open".

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 03:14   #29

Boat: Amel Sharki

Why not tell the truth? OpenCPN depends on wxWidgets and there is no port of wxWidgets ready for iOS, the operating system for iPads and iPhones. Furthermore wxWidgets has more security holes Adobes Flash ever had. So Apple has forbidden Flash.

To answer Seans question: People use iPads because they are more secure than any other device. Even the NSA can't break it...

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 16:57   #30

Boat: Cape George 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
mcarling...

The thing about GPL that Apple does not like is simply this, paraphrased:

No matter how you got a GPL app (free, or paid), GPL requires that you must be able to give it away, or sell it, without further restriction, to as many people as you want to. By whatever distribution channel you like.

This is clearly incompatible with Apple's business plan.

And this one point helps to illustrate which open source licenses are truly "open".

Dave
This is hogwash. You can put the entire source code on github for any app and still release it in the app store for money or free - makes no difference. In fact, Apple has even waved the annual developer fee for people who release only free apps.

You are completely capable of giving away 1) the source code and 2) links to download it from the app store. You may even include a link to the github repo in the app on the "about" page, the splash screen, whatever.

I've got free apps on the store.

The other problem, however, is WxWidgets is not available for iOS. It simply didn't get done. They let an intern take a shot at it for a summer and he got a few things kind of "working" but really there is no standard distro and i've been unable to get his demo to build and run.

My biggest problem with OpenCPN is the over dependence on the WX libraries. I don't think they're particularly good (performance on my mac is lame - the stupid tool bar lags any window move by half a second) and they don't really have the funding to keep the stuff up to date.
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, open cpn