Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2011, 04:30   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
Open CPN Manual

Just started using open CPN, seems to be very well put together and simple to use. The manual is well written but how can I download it to use when not online? Would be a great asset as we are usually not online.
With thanks
Bignuts
__________________

__________________
Bignuts75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 07:43   #2
Registered User
 
James S's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Posts: 5,816
Images: 139
Re: Open CPN manual

Welcome to the forum Bignuts...
__________________

__________________
James
S/V Arctic Lady
I love my boat, I can't afford not to!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 07:54   #3
Registered User
 
Alecadi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marathon FL
Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Posts: 937
Re: Open CPN manual

There is a printer friendly version of the manual available at :
OpenCPN User Manual
__________________
People spend time putting little boats in bottles, me I put bottles in my little boat...
Alecadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 11:40   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WNA
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,247
Re: Open CPN Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignuts75 View Post
Just started using open CPN, seems to be very well put together and simple to use. The manual is well written but how can I download it to use when not online? Would be a great asset as we are usually not online.
With thanks
Bignuts
There is no need for a separate download as you already have the documentation installed. It comes as apart of OpenCPN.
Just click the button with a white "?" on a blue background, and then click the "help" tab. The documentation will open in your default browser.

Thomas
__________________
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 14:43   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 31
Re: Open CPN Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
There is no need for a separate download as you already have the documentation installed. It comes as apart of OpenCPN.
Just click the button with a white "?" on a blue background, and then click the "help" tab. The documentation will open in your default browser.

Thomas
Only if you're online--at least in the Mac version.
__________________
dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 14:47   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Monastir, Tunisia
Boat: Amel Sharki
Posts: 1,774
Re: Open CPN Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweller View Post
Only if you're online--at least in the Mac version.
Wrong.
__________________
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 17:03   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Posts: 660
Re: Open CPN Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
There is no need for a separate download as you already have the documentation installed. It comes as apart of OpenCPN.
Just click the button with a white "?" on a blue background, and then click the "help" tab. The documentation will open in your default browser.

Thomas
FWIW - I can't get the online manual to work with IE (as default browser) on XP; but it does work with Google Chrome.
__________________
David Kester
Pegasus IV
wdkester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 17:56   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orust Sweden
Boat: Najad 34
Posts: 1,967
Re: Open CPN Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
FWIW - I can't get the online manual to work with IE (as default browser) on XP; but it does work with Google Chrome.
Yeah, it's the same for me on XP and IE 8. The links are not working and JE complains about blocked scripts. And it doesn't help to admit them on border list. It's probably a matter of settings but I don't care. I use Firefox instead and it works great.
__________________
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:19   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WNA
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,247
Re: Open CPN Manual

wdkester & Hakan

I think we need to find out what's going on here.

Do you have any problems opening the build in documentation with IE?

I tried the online version with an XP SP3 and IE v6, without problems.The only conclusion is that the problem is likely to be with a html feature introduced after 2004.

All the markup behind the wiki pages are created by the Drupal CMS, but it's still possible to manually change the html markup.
After the South Bay server crash in January something changed with the markup that Drupal generated. I had problems resizing pictures, testing with Firefox, and had to manually change the html for a handful of pictures. Firefox did not correctly interpret the new way of setting "style" attributes for pictures.

Thomas
__________________
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:27   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Monastir, Tunisia
Boat: Amel Sharki
Posts: 1,774
Re: Open CPN Manual

Another thing is the use of the picture folder name with spaces. Rename the folder name "OpenCPN User Manual_files" simply to "images" and change the picture links in the html file as well. Easy done with find and replace of any editor.
Using spaces in folder names is not good practise.
__________________
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:56   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WNA
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,247
Re: Open CPN Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Another thing is the use of the picture folder name with spaces. Rename the folder name "OpenCPN User Manual_files" simply to "images" and change the picture links in the html file as well. Easy done with find and replace of any editor.
Using spaces in folder names is not good practise.
I agree, but way to do it is to change the server side script, that generates the documentation. I have notified "manimaul", the opencpn.org webmaster.

Thomas
__________________
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:11   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Monastir, Tunisia
Boat: Amel Sharki
Posts: 1,774
Re: Open CPN Manual

You may even have different language manuals. Have a look at http://topperdiek.de/dl/doc-de3.2.zip for a german language manual for offline use in OpenCPN.
__________________
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:15   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Posts: 660
Re: Open CPN Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
wdkester & Hakan

I think we need to find out what's going on here.

Do you have any problems opening the build in documentation with IE?

I tried the online version with an XP SP3 and IE v6, without problems.The only conclusion is that the problem is likely to be with a html feature introduced after 2004.

All the markup behind the wiki pages are created by the Drupal CMS, but it's still possible to manually change the html markup.
After the South Bay server crash in January something changed with the markup that Drupal generated. I had problems resizing pictures, testing with Firefox, and had to manually change the html for a handful of pictures. Firefox did not correctly interpret the new way of setting "style" attributes for pictures.

Thomas
We may have been confusing online versus offline help.

IE8 works fine thru OpenCPN.org.

From OpenCPN itself:
0. ? Icon>Help tab
1. IE is opened but has an error message about not running ActiveX controls.
2. Click on the message and allow AcitveX.
3. Click on anywhere on the Help Outline and IE hangs
4. You have to restart OpenCPN to try again .

I like Google Chrome better anyway, it's faster and consumes less screen real estate.
__________________
David Kester
Pegasus IV
wdkester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:34   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orust Sweden
Boat: Najad 34
Posts: 1,967
Re: Open CPN Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
wdkester & Hakan
I think we need to find out what's going on here.
Do you have any problems opening the build in documentation with IE?
Thomas
Thomas...
I've tried to explain function and appearance in attached print-out. Check if this helps to describe.

Håkan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IE_Help_files.pdf (134.7 KB, 70 views)
__________________
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:08   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 31
Re: Open CPN Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Wrong.
I just downloaded the latest Mac version: OpenCPN 3.1.1319. When you click on "Help" all you get is a link to the online manual at OpenCPN.org.

Maybe version 3.2, when it's available ??????
__________________

__________________
dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
manuals, open cpn

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OpenCPN CM93+ Downloaded .tiff Charts nixontankgirl OpenCPN 10 26-10-2011 12:16
Users to Open with a Pilot NEVERMIND OpenCPN 1 20-10-2011 14:19
Running Open CPN On a Tablet with Android 3.2 Operating System gatogo OpenCPN 2 27-08-2011 14:19
Open CPN WPT Transfer to Plotter basjako OpenCPN 13 25-08-2011 10:08
Ubuntu10.04 LTS open CPN portrob OpenCPN 5 06-07-2011 09:33



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.