Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 09:35   #1

Open CPN Android App and connections

Hi,

I'm trying to get OpenCPN running as my navigation software. However I can't figure out how to add the correct connection. When I try to chose a data port for my Serial connection there is nothing to choose from in the field and I don't know what it may be called. Anyone has a solution for this?

Best regards!

/Oskar
obroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Open CPN Android App and connections

what operating system ?
Any gps alrady connected physically ?
RFT read the F manual , connections is fairly well documented.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:24   #3

Hi. I'm running Android. I've had a look in the manual but it seems to be written for a Pc. Is there a separate manual for the android app or should it work the same way? In the manual it says to choose from the list. But the list is empty.

There is a GPS in the tablet im using and its working but I rather use the external GPS and I also want tp receive the AIS data.

Thanks!

/Oskar
Old 04-08-2017, 03:45   #4

Boat: Najad 34

Oskar...
First;
There's a Android forum. See for example this post: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2446889
Second;
There's, what I know, no serials on an Android. One way I've used is to send all data you have via wifi using a router and use a network connection on your A. I use my PC and OCPN's multiplexer for all NMEA data. This method is fairly well described in the wiki and the how to is similar on PC and Android.
Good luck
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:22   #5

Boat: 29'

go here to start for android
OpenCPN App for Android

OpenCPN Android Forum for the Purchased App

but can say at least Bluetooth is pretty simple connection for gps. Not sure per AIS
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:45   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I am using both BT and wifi connections for both GPS and AIS. I connect in the regular way, by the Connections menu.

If there is nothing in the connect options choice window, the BT is either not paired or not turned on or anything else. BT not just needs to be ON (on both devices) but also PAIRED and VISIBLE before you go into OpenCPN to use it as a source.

I avoid BT and use wifi (TCP/IP) instead, whenever possible.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 11:23   #7

Ok. I now have bought the payed version and it feels a bit more stable so I hope it will help me out. Apart from that I really like OpenCPN so if a little money goes to the project I'm happy.

However I didn't get a confirmation e-mail for the forum for the payed version so I still can't get feedback from that forum.

I gave up on the bluetooth project and I'm now using WiFi instead. It works fine but now I can't use my computer onboard as a wifi-hotspot so I need to get a WiFi-router for that, Well well..

And I bought a new tablet but it just hangs when I try to upload new charts, but I guess thats another thread..

Thanks for all the help!
Old 17-09-2017, 13:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by obroden View Post

I gave up on the bluetooth project and I'm now using WiFi instead. It works fine but now I can't use my computer onboard as a wifi-hotspot so I need to get a WiFi-router for that, Well well..
What limits your use of computer as a wifi hotspot?

b.
Old 17-09-2017, 14:08   #9

Some times things are so obvious when you're in to it but I see . Of course there shouldn't be anything stopping me.. but.. It's a Steel boat so the wifi can't penetrate the hull and I want to use the hotspot inside the boat for internet. The NMEA needs to go (either by bluetooth or WiFi) on the outside of the boat to the Android tablet at the helm.

Best regards!

/Oskar
Old 17-09-2017, 15:59   #10

We use a wireless extender as a boat hotspot.

We use a cheapo s/h router with OpenWRT as nmea hotspot.

Two such routers can be used back to back (ethernet bridge) as a hotspot - one becomes your adapter the second one plays the router part.

If the signal cannot penetrate the deck, you can place the nmea router outside except that it must be in a waterproof box.

I did not know a metal hull blocks wifi signal that well!

barnakiel
(plastic boat)
Old 23-09-2017, 14:03   #11

I am going to copy this post into this topic hoping that someone has some insight into the issues. Thanks

Friends, Dave or someone, I need some help. First, I tried to get into the Android support forum at Opencpn but forgot my password,. By the time I straightened that out, it said I over did the logins and would have to wait 10 days to log in again? Any help accessinng the forum would be appreciated.

The issue that I am struggling with is that I currently run Opencpn on an upgraded Acer iconia A-500 (android 4.03) which works as well as it can with the internal GPS receiver. I also have a Garmin Glo which can link the the tablet via several different Blue tooth GPS programs. BUT Opencpn cannot get data from it? It sees the Glo in the connections yet nothing is transfered. Mock location is set on and every other thing I can think of has been tried. What am I missing? The Glo would provide faster and much more accurate positions if I could get it to work.
Thanks Marc
Catalacmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 10:03   #12

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Bluetooth search
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...h&id=bluetooth

One of the links. - my experience connecting with Bluetooth years ago.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...t_to_opencpn&s[]=bluetooth

But this was taking my ANdroid GPS signal to Opencpn on Laptop.

There are various configurations here
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...droid_gps_apps
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 10:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalacmarc View Post

Opencpn on an upgraded Acer iconia A-500 (android 4.03)

Garmin Glo which can link the the tablet via several different Blue tooth GPS programs. BUT Opencpn cannot get data from it?
Are the devices paired?

If other Aps on your Iconia can use Glo signal but OpenCPN cannot, clearly OpenCPN sounds to have a challenge.

Does OpenCPN on your Iconia show gps data from any gps smartphone acting as a gps dongle? If it does then clearly Glo has an issue.

Mind that BT devices have many connection modes (host/client/emulated COM, etc.) . This may depend on the BT chipset in the Glo. Not everything BT talks to anything else BT.

I can remember at least one app that could translate BT/wifi/serial/etc. translations. I think it was this one. When I used a demo, it did what I needed (BT/IP translation):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lue.demo&hl=en

Cheers,
b.

Tags
open cpn