Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2019, 13:40   #16

Re: Open CPN 5 does not "see" my GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
No, it doesn't sound right.

From the start you should have explained GPS data is used by other processes. It just wastes everyone's time trying to sort out your problems not caused by OpenCPN.
Hoolie,

First of all, being a jerk does not make problem solving any easier, but I forgive you.

In the past with 4.8 I would ALWAYS open GPSInfo to start the GPS puck then open OpenCPN and it worked fine.

Thus, there is no reason for me to expect that 5.0 would be any different, now is there?
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 13:43   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
To underline it : A COM port or serial connection can only be used by one party at the same time.

Repeated 100+ times here.

And now write down 20 times: "OCPN 5.0 is not crap"

Happy sailing!

In the past with version 4.8 I always opened GPSInfo to initialize the GPS puck, then opened OpenCPN and it would hook right up.

There is no reason for me to have thought that 5.0 would be any different.

Further, I NEVER said OpenCPN is crap, that was someone else. I love OpenCPN and find it very useful.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 14:21   #18

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyjon View Post
In the past with version 4.8 I always opened GPSInfo to initialize the GPS puck, then opened OpenCPN and it would hook right up.

There is no reason for me to have thought that 5.0 would be any different.

Further, I NEVER said OpenCPN is crap, that was someone else. I love OpenCPN and find it very useful.
Gypsyjon...

You sure did not use both at the same time, or if you did, it did not work, nothing changed on how this stuff works in the past decades.
So, please, make sure nothing else uses the port to which your GPS is connected when you want to use it in OpenCPN.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 16:28   #19

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft

I have installed OpenCPN 5.0.0 over the original 4.8.6 and it seems to work, with a few exceptions. I will list them here.

Note: I'm running Win10pro, 64 bit, 8GB Ram, 2.6 GHz, on an HP probook laptop. I'm not using a mouse, depending on keyboard shortcuts.

My BU-353 S4 GPS puck is on com 5, 4800 baud, priority 1, and GPSinfo reports it is receiving fine, and NO I am NOT running that program at the same time. Puck worked under 4.8.6 just fine.

Route & Mark Manager:
The routes I created with the previous OCPN can be activated, however, in 5.0.0 if I create a NEW route it will display on screen but when activated the "This Leg" box appears for 2 seconds and disappears, the NEW route unable to be activated. (The OLD routes work fine).

When I click on Enable Tracking icon the screen centers on my location, but when I move there is no track displayed, and the screen does not follow my movements.

Using the new split screen canvasses:

1) Using the keyboard shortcut keystrokes "ctrl-left arrow" or "ctrl-right arrow" operates ONLY in the left canvas no matter which canvas has the blue highlight at the top.

2) Using the keyboard shortcut keystrokes "+" or "-" to zoom operates ONLY in the left canvas no matter which canvas has the blue highlight at the top, however the zooming buttons in either canvas menu still work.

3) Zooming is not done in fine increments but in large jumps.

My log file is appended as a PDF.

Cheers, Ryan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn.pdf (41.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 18-04-2019, 16:35   #20

Oh, and I forgot to mention:

I installed the Google Earth plugin, and it's icon appears in the left hand menu bar, but when clicked, it opens a GE box that has a black border and tan interior with nothing in it.

Cheers, Ryan
Old 18-04-2019, 17:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Crabs_A_Lot View Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention:

I installed the Google Earth plugin, and it's icon appears in the left hand menu bar, but when clicked, it opens a GE box that has a black border and tan interior with nothing in it.

Cheers, Ryan
Do you have an old version of Google Earth installed (=7.1 or older)? This plugin does NOT work with newer versions of GE that have removed the API it uses.
Old 18-04-2019, 17:35   #22

Nohal, yes the GE is 7.1.

I have installed the latest version of GE 3 times, and each time it reports that GE is STILL 7.1 version. I've even uninstalled GE completely, then installed the latest GE fresh and it STILL says 7.1.

BTW, this is on my old desktop computer running WinXP and OpenCPN 5.0.0.

SO MADDENING.

Any thoughts on my Route & Mark Manager troubles?

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 18-04-2019, 17:44   #23

Quote:
Any thoughts on my Route & Mark Manager troubles?
Other than that I can't reproduce any of them? Nope.

For the zooming, you should probably enable smooth zooming in the Toobox and/or use Alt+/Alt-
Old 18-04-2019, 18:28   #24
Moo

Quote:
I have installed OpenCPN 5.0.0 over the original 4.8.6 and it seems to work, with a few exceptions. I will list them here.

Note: I'm running Win10pro, 64 bit, 8GB Ram, 2.6 GHz, on an HP probook laptop. I'm not using a mouse, depending on keyboard shortcuts.

My BU-353 S4 GPS puck is on com 5, 4800 baud, priority 1, and GPSinfo reports it is receiving fine, and NO I am NOT running that program at the same time. Puck worked under 4.8.6 just fine.

Route & Mark Manager:
The routes I created with the previous OCPN can be activated, however, in 5.0.0 if I create a NEW route it will display on screen but when activated the "This Leg" box appears for 2 seconds and disappears, the NEW route unable to be activated. (The OLD routes work fine).

When I click on Enable Tracking icon the screen centers on my location, but when I move there is no track displayed, and the screen does not follow my movements.

1) Using the keyboard shortcut keystrokes "ctrl-left arrow" or "ctrl-right arrow" operates ONLY in the left canvas no matter which canvas has the blue highlight at the top.

2) Using the keyboard shortcut keystrokes "+" or "-" to zoom operates ONLY in the left canvas no matter which canvas has the blue highlight at the top, however the zooming buttons in either canvas menu still work.

Cheers, Ryan
Just a thought. How do you know that the puck is on com 5?
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 01:01   #25
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:

Cheers, Ryan
Split screen 1) and 2) are working fine here on W10 and macOS (on maOS instead of Ctrl use the CMD key) and both canvases.

1) tested with raster and vector. It can take several key strokes until one provokes to get a different view, depending on the number of charts in the active quilt.
Playing with the detail zoom slider (the "D" key) will make a big difference in this case.

For 3) Nohal's advice above and using Alt for fine steps
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 10:43   #26

OK, now a different day, and the zooming functions are working normally.

In fact, everything I mentioned in my original post is functioning.

The ONLY difference between yesterday and today is that I found Google Earth 7.3 and installed it, and even THAT is working fine.

Thank you all.
Ryan

Tags
gps, open cpn