Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 19:27   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
OCPN on nexus7... having a hard time with Linux Deploy

I got the tablet rooted and verified with root checker. Superuser is working fine. I have Linux Deploys settings like I think they ought to be, Ubuntu precise into a file installation, 4076 MB. When I hit Install, it goes

Begin install
Checking mount points... done
Checking installation path... done
Making new disk image (4076 MB) fail
End install

Anybody have any idea what the problem might be? Last time I did this I ended up trying 3 or 4 different Linux installers and drove myself crazy until finally enough random clicking found a working solution. I don't want to go through that again. I want to stick with one proven solution through to successful completion. So if anybody has any knowledgeable suggestiins...
Old 02-09-2014, 20:03   #2

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: OCPN on nexus7... having a hard time with Linux Deploy

Don't know why you get the fail but my son runs a rooted Kindle Fire and goes thru the same travail. Even the same installer won't work twice. I just admire your persistent nature and self reliance. You will make it work. Its not the hardware. Further, nobody will be able to steal your nude selfies.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 20:54   #3

Boat: Phantom 19

GM...
I have zero experience with this and no Android device at hand, but first the most obvious: Do you have 4GB of free space on the device for the Linux image?

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 21:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
GM...
I have zero experience with this and no Android device at hand, but first the most obvious: Do you have 4GB of free space on the device for the Linux image?

Pavel
Yup. I checked. And I tried reducing the, size of the file too. Busy box is functioning, and superuser and Linux deploy has superuser privelege. And the same app is running right now on my old Tab 7.0 with the same settings.looks like I have Ubuntu Trusty about half installed on it. Oh there is one difference but it shouldn't matter. I accepted the default Ubuntu version, precise. Trusty is 14.04 and I think precise was the previous long term support version, 12.04. But that shouldn't matter. The app wouldn't even create the loop file on the N7. I uninsulated and reinstalled, too. I guess I am right back where I was last time I messed, with Linux on an Android device, just clicking stuff until something works. Took me 2 days last time. Funny but the Tab 2 is ...
...awww I got a couldn't download package error it stopped the Linux install but it will work when I go to the grocery store tomorrow and slurp on their wifi connectiin. Even if it doesn't pick up the broken download I should be able to just start over. Wow I was just fixin to brag on the old tab2.

Too bad I was getting excited about getting OCPN running at least on the tab2. But I can't rest until I got it on the Nexus.
Old 03-09-2014, 15:45   #5

Whew. I still haven't got Linux on the N7 but I got it on the tab2. Yay! I managed to connect to it with vnc and I see a desktop with nothing on it. Got to rest my brain cells before getting into the terminal and installing OCPN. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 03-09-2014, 15:58   #6

Hmm . Can't connect with bvnc. I entered local host port 5900 and the password but authentication failed.
Old 03-09-2014, 16:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Whew. I still haven't got Linux on the N7 but I got it on the tab2. Yay! I managed to connect to it with vnc and I see a desktop with nothing on it. Got to rest my brain cells before getting into the terminal and installing OCPN. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Regarding the Tab 2. You see a desktop? What color & pattern?
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 16:31   #8

Quote:
I got the tablet rooted and verified with root checker. Superuser is working fine. I have Linux Deploys settings like I think they ought to be, Ubuntu precise into a file installation, 4076 MB. When I hit Install, it goes

Begin install
Checking mount points... done
Checking installation path... done
Making new disk image (4076 MB) fail
End install

Anybody have any idea what the problem might be? Last time I did this I ended up trying 3 or 4 different Linux installers and drove myself crazy until finally enough random clicking found a working solution. I don't want to go through that again. I want to stick with one proven solution through to successful completion. So if anybody has any knowledgeable suggestiins...
What are the settings, particularly the install path?
Old 03-09-2014, 16:32   #9

Quote:
Hmm . Can't connect with bvnc. I entered local host port 5900 and the password but authentication failed.
What password?

Old 03-09-2014, 16:47   #10

Quote:
Yup. I checked. And I tried reducing the, size of the file too. Busy box is functioning, and superuser and Linux deploy has superuser privelege. And the same app is running right now on my old Tab 7.0 with the same settings.looks like I have Ubuntu Trusty about half installed on it. Oh there is one difference but it shouldn't matter. I accepted the default Ubuntu version, precise. Trusty is 14.04 and I think precise was the previous long term support version, 12.04. But that shouldn't matter. The app wouldn't even create the loop file on the N7. I uninsulated and reinstalled, too. I guess I am right back where I was last time I messed, with Linux on an Android device, just clicking stuff until something works. Took me 2 days last time. Funny but the Tab 2 is ...
...awww I got a couldn't download package error it stopped the Linux install but it will work when I go to the grocery store tomorrow and slurp on their wifi connectiin. Even if it doesn't pick up the broken download I should be able to just start over. Wow I was just fixin to brag on the old tab2.

Too bad I was getting excited about getting OCPN running at least on the tab2. But I can't rest until I got it on the Nexus.
Take a look at the /sdcard/linuxdeploy.log. It may provide a clue about the package issue. There used to be a problem with 'wget' provided by Linux Deploy. If you installed busybox, it provides a wget that works. Rename /data/local/linux/bin/wget 'wget.bak' and the busybox wget will be used instead.

Also, if you failed to finish the installation the 'Desktop/GUI' files may not have downloaded in their entirety, explaining why you see a blank desktop.
Old 03-09-2014, 17:21   #11

Generally, when a 'fail' message appears in Linux Deploy, tapping on 'Stop' and restarting with 'Start' will get things going again. Otherwise, reboot your device and then tap on 'Start'. Another thing you can try is to select 'Reconfigure' in the Install module (down arrow) if you were well into the installation when it failed. You're in luck if the installation resumes at the point where it failed.

My experience is Linux Deploy is the best installer and you're wasting your time trying different installers if you encounter a problem.
Old 03-09-2014, 17:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
What password?

And, local host is one word - 'localhost'.
Old 03-09-2014, 22:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
And, local host is one word - 'localhost'.
Yeah my spel chekker probly did that in my post. I use my Note3 for posting, downloading, etc.

I was able to get in with my terminal emulator and install the dependencies okay. Had issues with getting OCPN but I will try some more tomorrow. I went with the default distro, Debian wheezy. Was that a good idea or a bad one? I couldn't find the binary download specified in the xoom thread. Still feeling my way around navigating through the linux file system with the Android terminal so maybe I will get it eventually. Password I set to the email password of one of my accounts but it is 11 lower case letters, no symbols or spaces or anything wierd.

Thanks for the wget tip. So even when I have navigated into the Linux file system I can still execute anything in the android path? Wow that's cool.

The install path I ended up just using the default /storage/emulated/0/linux.img and it seemed to work.

And another question. Is there a preferred way to shut Linux down in Linux deploy? If the tablet reboots for some reason does that screw up the whole ball of yarn?

This stuff seems to work a lot better with a fast wifi connection, and the only one I got here at the marina is pretty dodgy so I have to go to the grocery or a bar to do this stuff. I can use my other tablet as a wifi hot spot but I don't like to do big downloads and be obvious about the tethering cause t mobile now frowns on that without paying for a tether enabled account. So I will try some more stuff tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2014, 13:07   #14

Quote:
Yeah my spel chekker probly did that in my post. I use my Note3 for posting, downloading, etc.
Quote:

I was able to get in with my terminal emulator and install the dependencies okay. Had issues with getting OCPN but I will try some more tomorrow. I went with the default distro, Debian wheezy. Was that a good idea or a bad one?
Wheezy is good. You'll rarely encounter problems unless you try the sorts of things I do. In that case I find Ubuntu repositories are more up to date. But, for anyone just wanting to use OpenCPN any of the distributions will suffice.

[QUOTE= I couldn't find the binary download specified in the xoom thread. Still feeling my way around navigating through the linux file system with the Android terminal so maybe I will get it eventually. Password I set to the email password of one of my accounts but it is 11 lower case letters, no symbols or spaces or anything wierd..[/QUOTE]

Try 'changeme' first.

You can find all the binaries I've generated here: http://www.4shared.com/archive/f0bmQ...331618tar.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/dSOClua9...9-1_armhf.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/j7miYrWs...1-1_armhf.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/tIRVNjou...armhf5099.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/HrlYx2wF...armhf1834.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/i6uD6Rb4...armhf-111.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/xZfdj_dR...armhf-521.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/FfAVub_n...armhf-135.html

[QUOTE=Thanks for the wget tip. So even when I have navigated into the Linux file system I can still execute anything in the android path? Wow that's cool..[/QUOTE]

If you are familiar with basic linux commands like cp (copy), mv (move, rename), mkdir (make a directory) and so on, you can perform these and many other operations using the android terminal too.

[QUOTE=The install path I ended up just using the default /storage/emulated/0/linux.img and it seemed to work.

And another question. Is there a preferred way to shut Linux down in Linux deploy? If the tablet reboots for some reason does that screw up the whole ball of yarn?.[/QUOTE]

Fortunately these occasions do not appear to have any negative effect on the linux file system. Still, you are right in your concern about properly unmounting the linux partition. Best to do this through Linux Deploy if you've been using OpenCPN via vnc. You can however, use the android terminal at any time to install/remove files using apt, update and upgrade the system, and execute linux commands without opening Linux Deploy at all.

[QUOTE=This stuff seems to work a lot better with a fast wifi connection, and the only one I got here at the marina is pretty dodgy so I have to go to the grocery or a bar to do this stuff. I can use my other tablet as a wifi hot spot but I don't like to do big downloads and be obvious about the tethering cause t mobile now frowns on that without paying for a tether enabled account. So I will try some more stuff tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-09-2014, 09:45   #15

Well, i have successfully installed Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 on my Nexus 7, and compiled OCPN from source, and installed it. It can see my internal GPS, courtesy of TurboGPS. This evening I will copy my NOAA charts and CM93 to the tablet and that one will be set.

I had a lot of hassle restarting Linux after shutting it down. I shut down and started within Linux Deploy. It would say file not found. I used root explorer or es file explorer to navigate to the linux.img file and tada I could then start linux.

Ubuntu Trusty seems to give me the fewest difficulties. Maybe because the libraries are more current, I don't know. Before I found the file manager trick, I several times uninstalled and reinstalled Linux deploy and linux, when it would refuse to start linux. I tried several binaries of OCPN and finally gave up and compiled, and with Trusty that went very smoothly. Git github seems to work pretty good.

Once I have my charts installed I will try again with the old Tab2. Then I will have 2 completely separate redundant chart plotters, in addition to the Linux laptop and the BU-353S4 USB GPS happily running OCPN as well. Things are looking up aboard Mr. Wiggles. Also have my 48v 230ah propulsion bank and 5kw electric motor installed, so I actually got a couple things done.

Tags
linux