Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2014, 17:55   #136
Registered User
 
boat_alexandra's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chesapeake bay
Boat: bristol 27
Posts: 2,823
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

I am surprised the wifi uses so much power... However your bluetooth also uses almost as much. I think my usb wifi dongles use a lot less power than this, and can be high powered at 500mW transmission power
__________________

__________________
boat_alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 18:15   #137
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post

Amps is practically meaningless without voltage.

(...)

I think you're sounding a little biased here. There's virtually nothing for sale out there that runs RT anymore. So your statement is sort of irrelevant.

(...)

The one I linked can be found for $15. What kind of price did you get on your wifi NMEA multiplexex/router? The cheapest one that I could find cost 2-3 times what my Win8 tablet costs.
Voltage 12 Volts. Amps measured at battery monitor, onboard.

RT is dead? This is GREAT news. It should had never been born!

Best price I found is some EUR 100 plus postage. This is roughly USD 150.

b.
__________________

__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 18:37   #138
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 571
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
...Best price I found is some EUR 100 plus postage. This is roughly USD 150.

b.
Can you link a source? I've been looking for a long time for that elusive "low-cost WiFi multiplexer" everyone tells me to get. I really would like to get one, but the only ones I've found are in the $400-500 range. So if you have a source at $150, I really would be interested.
__________________
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 05:59   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Can you link a source? I've been looking for a long time for that elusive "low-cost WiFi multiplexer" everyone tells me to get. I really would like to get one, but the only ones I've found are in the $400-500 range. So if you have a source at $150, I really would be interested.
Now what? I guess I email that company and demand my lion's share ;-)

vYacht Yacht automation

I do not have this one. But it came up second google guess for key words "nmea router", hence the link.

There are many other makes around. Shop before you drop.

Cheers,
b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 14:44   #140
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 571
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Now what? I guess I email that company and demand my lion's share ;-)

vYacht Yacht automation

I do not have this one. But it came up second google guess for key words "nmea router", hence the link.

There are many other makes around. Shop before you drop.

Cheers,
b.
Thanks for the reminder. I had found that a few months ago and didn't follow up because I'd prefer a Seatalk bridge plus two NMEA inputs. But I think I can make do with only one NMEA input, so I'll probably order it.
__________________
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 19:12   #141
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 571
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

FWIW, I ordered the vYacht WiFi router with SeaTalk converter a couple weeks ago. It's at the post office and I'll pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.
__________________
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:27   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Meanwhile, inexpensive Win 8 tablets will render Android OpenCPN a nice to have but hardly critical. I discredited this option way up the thread but I am taking that back now having seen what is available January 2015.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 08:45   #143
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 51
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Meanwhile, inexpensive Win 8 tablets will render Android OpenCPN a nice to have but hardly critical. I discredited this option way up the thread but I am taking that back now having seen what is available January 2015.

b.
Inexpensive waterproof Win 8 tablets? There are several options for inexpensive waterproof Android tablets. That is why an Android port still has merit.
__________________
stensmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 09:00   #144
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 571
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stensmo View Post
Inexpensive waterproof Win 8 tablets? There are several options for inexpensive waterproof Android tablets. That is why an Android port still has merit.
I'm a big fan of Android, but until there are developer tools to make an Android-native build out of the core code, OpenCPN on Android may have to be a niche for the hardcore users. Sorry, but any install instructions that start with "Root your tablet" is a non-starter for the vast majority of people.

Waterproofing a Win8 tablet is easily solved, unless you want to get fancy:

8" Tablet:
Amazon.com: Travelon Luggage Waterproof E-Reader Pouch, Clear/Black, One Size: Clothing

10" Tablet:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00596BGOE

__________________
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 21:22   #145
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 571
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I'm a big fan of Android, but until there are developer tools to make an Android-native build out of the core code, OpenCPN on Android may have to be a niche for the hardcore users.
I guess I stand corrected:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
... I am working seriously on the OpenCPN android port now, and am doing my work on a low end MALI based 7" tablet. On this platform, OpenGLES1.1 with the glshim is critical to OCPN performance, and works pretty well. There are some bugs in glshim which have not made it upstream yet, but soon will I hope. I'm working around them for now by compiling a private version of glshim as part of the OCPN build.

The result of the android port effort will be, well, OCPN on android.

But a side benefit will be a better understanding of the OpenGLES environment as it relates to OCPN. This will propagate to the embedded universe in time.

So, take heart. Progress is being made, however slow.

Thanks
Dave
__________________
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 08:58   #146
Obsfucator, Second Class
 
dacust's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southeast USA.
Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Posts: 1,743
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I guess I stand corrected:
You weren't wrong. The "until" just happened much faster than we thought it would.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 10:02   #147
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I'm a big fan of Android, but until there are developer tools to make an Android-native build out of the core code, OpenCPN on Android may have to be a niche for the hardcore users. Sorry, but any install instructions that start with "Root your tablet" is a non-starter for the vast majority of people.
In all due respect, your choice of platform is by now well known. What is less known, unless you of course have some kind of special insight to what "...the vast majority of people" think, there is no objective evidence to support your assertion. People who appreciate the low cost of android devices as compared to Windows devices and want to use OpenCPN on a small footprint, low energy consuming platform is not likely to balk at rooting their android.

If you haven't already, you should give OpenCPN on an android device a try. Rooting one should be no problem since as you've said elsewhere you've rooted lots of devices.
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 10:51   #148
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 571
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

I am thrilled that Dave is figuring out a way to run OpenCPN on Android.

Rooting a device for the purpose of installing a battery-saving app or some other well-tested app (i.e., thousands of downloads with favorable reviews on Play Store) is probably an acceptable risk, although there is some possibility of future system updates breaking when you do that, so there may be some repairs required in the future.

However, rooting a device to install a different OS than it was designed to run is a tedious, laborious process. I've installed several versions of Cyanogenmod (one of the most thoroughly tested and easiest to install custom ROMs). The install was relatively easy - but then I encountered the dozens of performance glitches and "tweaks" that needed to be done. Based on that, I can tell you that I have no interest in running anything other than the stock Android OS on Android devices. It just is not worth it for anyone but the most hard-core masochists.

Sometimes "exactly following the instructions" is not possible. Different device manufacturers, or even subtle version differences in the bootloader, partition structure, etc., can make things act differently. It is not a procedure that I would recommend to any "normal" user. I stand by that statement.

Fortunately, Dave's efforts are going to make all that unnecessary, and your typical Android user will soon be able to run OpenCPN in a native Android environment. I am thrilled about that.
__________________
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 12:03   #149
Registered User
 
LeaseOnLife's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: out cruising again
Boat: Sailboat
Posts: 1,047
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Fortunately, Dave's efforts are going to make all that unnecessary, and your typical Android user will soon be able to run OpenCPN in a native Android environment. I am thrilled about that.
__________________
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 14:28   #150
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I am thrilled that Dave is figuring out a way to run OpenCPN on Android.

Rooting a device for the purpose of installing a battery-saving app or some other well-tested app (i.e., thousands of downloads with favorable reviews on Play Store) is probably an acceptable risk, although there is some possibility of future system updates breaking when you do that, so there may be some repairs required in the future.

However, rooting a device to install a different OS than it was designed to run is a tedious, laborious process. I've installed several versions of Cyanogenmod (one of the most thoroughly tested and easiest to install custom ROMs). The install was relatively easy - but then I encountered the dozens of performance glitches and "tweaks" that needed to be done. Based on that, I can tell you that I have no interest in running anything other than the stock Android OS on Android devices. It just is not worth it for anyone but the most hard-core masochists.

Sometimes "exactly following the instructions" is not possible. Different device manufacturers, or even subtle version differences in the bootloader, partition structure, etc., can make things act differently. It is not a procedure that I would recommend to any "normal" user. I stand by that statement.

Fortunately, Dave's efforts are going to make all that unnecessary, and your typical Android user will soon be able to run OpenCPN in a native Android environment. I am thrilled about that.
Your experience - and I speak from a vantage point where I have initially accomplished without any input of any kind from others everything you indicate you've have had issues with - is in my view extremely skewed. What's more is you suggest people "may", "possibly" have problems due to "future updates". Updates to android or OpenCPN? Unlikely, unless a "future (android) update" suddenly restricts access to an external sdcard or alters normal permissions. Even then, users who generate nandroid backups can restore to the previous version. Got problems with a new version of OpenCPN on any platform, roll back to the previous version. Seems to me your assertions are 9/10ths conjecture... Where's your credible first hand experience in this that substantiates problems you've had installing Cyanogenmod is attributable to anything but your inability to follow instructions? I've never experienced anything remotely similar and I've enlarged the boot sector on my Xoom, installed Cyanogenmod 4.4.4 and performed regular updates with nary a problem.

Clearly, anything that requires a little bit of concentration and attention to detail is going to be too "tedious" and "laborious" for you. Everyone else? Probably not.

In this regard, I hardly consider you a reliable source for recommendations as to what "normal" users should or should not do.

Please, give it a rest. Everyone including me wants to see OpenCPN running natively on android. But, in the meanwhile there's only one choice for android users. Why waste so much of your time and effort beating it down with incredible claims and assertions?
__________________

__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
concept

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Android Anchor Drag Alarm for Android? phantomracer Marine Electronics 15 20-07-2014 10:03
OCPN to Android a possibility? sinbad7 OpenCPN 0 17-01-2014 08:47
Teaser from Vendee Globe DeepFrz Monohull Sailboats 1 16-09-2012 21:05
Perkins Injector Pump Timing Brain Teaser Sailmel Engines and Propulsion Systems 3 28-03-2010 17:19



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.