Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 10:54   #826
NAV

Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
NAV
I think this is an old discussion a year or more ago. When the same term is used in a plugin as in the core OCPN code the core translation is prevailing.
Thanks, Håkan. This must be the answer. I'll try to find a solution with other words ...

Nobody yet answered my question about Paths. What are these? There is a special Path tab in te Preferences of the plugin. Any change in a field there doesn't show in any of the test boundaries (rectangular or circle), single lines, EBL's or DR's I've put on the screen.

Who can enlighten me?
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:43   #827

Boat: Richter 42

Nav,
There is no difference, OCPN-Point was the old name which I shortened to OD-Point, although there should be no references to the OCPN version any more. I have looked through the current POT file and there is no reference to OCPN except where it is used to name the plugin, i.e. OCPN Draw Delete, so that it is distinguishable from OCPN Delete.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
Dave, Hakan, Jon,
Thanks for the new pot-file.

Jon,
What is the difference between a OCPN-Point and a OD-Point in the Draw plugin?
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:50   #828

Hubert,
Will be fixed in next patch

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Jon..

a typo in the pot file:
Code:
Use nearby Pointoint?

Context | Request Context
#: src/ocpn_draw_pi.cpp:2698
Shall that read OD Point or OCPN point?

Hubert
Old 17-01-2016, 11:57   #829
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:

The expression DR or Dead Reckoning for future positions is also strange in my eyes. A DR position is the (present or earlier) position of your vessel that is guessed, based on speed and course assumptions (when there are no positioning systems available to obtain a fix). It's not a possible future position.
Projected Position would describe it more correctly?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 12:00   #830

Hubert,
They are really the same except they work in reverse. For boundaries the fill is labelled Density, i.e. the higher the density the more obscuring the fill is. So in line with that I used the term density for the background for the Text Point, i.e. the denser the more obscuring. If this is too confusing I can turn them all to transparency, but I would like to keep them the same for consistency.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Jon...

shouldn't that be Transparency?

Code:
Background Density

Context | Request Context
#: src/ODPropertiesDialogDef.cpp:394
Old 17-01-2016, 12:05   #831
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post

And with the Jongough tool, currently, it can create boundaries which are areas but not the limits which are zigzag lines without areas.

So sorry, but I maintain my questions. They are the result of much thought.

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom,

just trying to get the concepts sorted out - no doubt that you are digging wit a lot of effort into the documents and the PI.

My point of view: Draw just creates objects and WatchDog does work on the same.
It would be therefore a function of WatchDog to alert crossing a Boundary Path.
What would give that type of on-voyage checking. But not yet a Route Checking, or checking in advance.

It will be very interesting to see comments when more people will actually test the Draw and WatchDog features in real. Right now we are very few and almost all "on the dry" just running VDR.

Good discussion

Hubert
Old 17-01-2016, 12:07   #832

Nav,
OD has two basic objects, a Point, known now as an ODPoint, which are the same as waypoints/marks in OCPN, and a Path. You place Points on the chart and these are georeferenced, i.e. they stay in the same spot (Lat/Lon) when you move or scale the chart. You can join points together with a path, i.e. a path between two or more points, which you will see called Boundaries, EBL's (Electronic Bearing Lines), DR's (Dead Reckoning lines). ODPoints are currently represented by Boundary Points, Text Points, EBL Points and DR Points.

At the moment Paths are constrained to be straight lines between two points, even ones using Great Circle plotting. It is quite possible to extend this to curved lines, i.e. splines, if it is needed, but, as of yet, I have not had to.

Hope this helps.
Jon

Quote:
What exactly is a 'Path' in OD? Please give a short description.
Old 17-01-2016, 12:08   #833
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Hubert,
They are really the same except they work in reverse. For boundaries the fill is labelled Density, i.e. the higher the density the more obscuring the fill is. So in line with that I used the term density for the background for the Text Point, i.e. the denser the more obscuring. If this is too confusing I can turn them all to transparency, but I would like to keep them the same for consistency.

Jon
Understood - just being more used to transparency. Opacity/density is just the other way around.
Old 17-01-2016, 12:52   #834

Gilletarom,
VRM = Variable Range Marker
EBL = Electronic Bearing Line

When being discussed these two were considered separate items, however, when looking at implementation it was easier, and made more sense to me, to combine the two. So now you can draw an EBL and request as a property of the EBL that a VRM be drawn. Now if you want to change the size of the VMR you just right click on the 'End' point of the EBL (if you show arrows on the EBL it is obvious which is the s'tart' and which is the 'end' if you have detached the EBL from the boat) as you move the point the VRM moves with it.

Now you can change the colour of the EBL through the EBL properties, you can change the VRM colour through the 'Start' point Range Rings colour. If you do so you will end up with one colour for the EBL and another for the VRM. If you now want them to be the same you can select the 'Match VRM colour to EBL colour' from the right click on the EBL line.

Jon

Quote:
Jongough,

I do not undestand this item, that I never see when playing with OD :
"Match VRM colour to EBL colour"

What is WRM ?
Old 17-01-2016, 13:02   #835

Gilletarom,
A boundary, according to your definitions, is 2), i.e. an enclosed area. It is ment to mark either areas you want to stay out of, or stay inside. There is the capability to draw a boundary with neither of these types.

There has been no requirement to display a drawn line rather than an enclosed area as you can do this by creating a route. The base drawing object, Path, is in fact a line joining two or more points. It is an open path, i.e. the end does not join up to the start. Now, if I was to try and represent a one dimensional boundary , i.e. a non-closed path, how would I know which was the good and which was the bad side of the line? I could use port and starboard based on the drawing direction, but.....

Anyway, at this stage I think this may/should be left to the next version, i.e. after this plugin goes live, and we get more general feed back on what works, what doesn't, what is missing and what is superfluous. I already know that the 'Guard Zone' concept needs more development to better represent it on screen and allow, possibly, radial, partial toroid, zones. The one dimensional boundary line may also need to be raised in flyspray and then discussed.

Jon

Quote:
Hello Jongough, hello All,

I know I'm going to ask embarrassing questions. As this thread already has very large pages, these questions have probably already been discussed. But the questions asked by translators show that we do not know what is this plugin.

I end up thinking that I must dare broach the subject.

I have a French word to translate "Boundary". This is the french word "Limite". But what is a Boundary ? For me, it is :

- A border, that is to say a line without thickness. This kind of boundary separates the plane into two parts A and B. And we should not be able to cross the border, or from A to B or from B to A, or. Possibly, probably more rarely, from A to B and B to A.
- An area in which we must not enter or which one should not go out.

I do not imagine a point as a limit.

Therefore, there are two kinds of limitations: The areas and the lines.

I wonder two things:
1) Why the separation between "boudary" and "Boundary Point" in the current version of the plugin? What, a point it could be considered a limit?
2) Currently, it is impossible to clearly define a zigzag line without this line defines a zone? Why ?

I would prefer there to be both tools for following boundary:
- A tool "boudary line" ----> currently does not actually exist.
- A tool "Boundary area".

Eventually, since the tool "Boundary Point" already exists, it can be stored.

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Old 17-01-2016, 13:07   #836

Gilletarom,
In the code it is possible to share OD Points between two or more boundaries. I think something is broken at the moment for this as I do not get sharing of points. I took the concept from the route object in OCPN, but I am not really sure of how useful it actually is, so I have not been actively doing anything with it at the moment. If someone desperately wants this functionality I can tack down the issue, if not, I will leave it for the moment.

Jon

Quote:
Jongough,

Sorry to disturb you another.

What are "shared OD Points" (I see this in : "Do you also want to make the shared OD Points being part of this boundary invisible?")
Old 17-01-2016, 15:13   #837

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Jongough,

Jongough, thank you for your answers.

I noticed that you have a perception of my "thoughts" and you consider that it would certainly be taken into account later to the release of version 4.2.

Also, please accept my apology for my error in my last attachment posts.

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 15:48   #838

Gilletarom,
I have just used your French translation to check this out. I have fixed a couple of problems where the english version of the object type is used, however, this fix only applies to wxWidgets 3.0 and newer.

The 'Show Point Range Rings'/'Montrer les cercles concentriques du point' on my win 7 machine can be clicked/checked. The one that cannot for a single point is the "Change all Path Point Icons"/"Changer toutes les icônes des points du chemin" as it is meant for a point being used as part of a path.

Jon

Quote:
Jongough,

I use the last compilation of the core of OpenCPN posted online by RGleason in the thingie. I also use the compilation OCPN_draw located in the thingie.

See the attached screenshot.
In the window of the point properties, it is no longer possible to check the "Show the rings" check box because there is no checkbox.
But I asked the display of several circles. (Obviously I said Ok).
The circles have not displayed around the point. (The point is just to the right of the window).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	French show range rings.png
Views:	116
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	116910  
Old 17-01-2016, 15:59   #839

Gilletarom,
I have fixed up a couple of other places where the translation has not occurred, however, at the moment the translations for these areas only work under wxWidgets 3.0 or newer. There will be a new patch with all the changes in.

Thanks for the translations as it is helping finding the 'bad coding' whereas in english it does not show up.

Jon

Quote:
Oups Gilletarom mismatch . Sorry Jongough.

Here two screen copy, the first for the post #822, the second for the post #823.

And, please, Disregard my post # 822. I had not seen that the checkbox "Show circles" was much higher.
Old 17-01-2016, 18:11   #840

NAV,
Paths are the base level object on which Boundary, EBL and DR are based. These are the default settings and are becoming redundant over time. However, they are still used behind the scenes, so removing them at the moment would require extra work to make sure default settings were in place. I may do this after the first release. For the moment I have just hidden this tab.

Jon

Quote:
Thanks, Håkan. This must be the answer. I'll try to find a solution with other words ...

Nobody yet answered my question about Paths. What are these? There is a special Path tab in te Preferences of the plugin. Any change in a field there doesn't show in any of the test boundaries (rectangular or circle), single lines, EBL's or DR's I've put on the screen.

Who can enlighten me?