Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-02-2016, 10:24   #1231

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

Hello Jon Gough

I'll have to report me for a long time, but it took me a long time to see it.
The "Boundary area" can be enabled or disabled. By cons, it is impossible to enable or disable area constituted by discs around a "boundary points"

Why the difference in the concept?

Old 16-02-2016, 11:26   #1232

Hello Jon Gough,

I made WatchDog uses tests with "boundary area" and disk centered "boundary points".

On the one hand, I confirm that the use of the words Inclusion / Exclusion / Neither in both languages files of OD and WD is unusable. Translations of WD replaces, automatically, those of OD, in OD.

On the other hand, I finally just consider that OD was used to define areas with a grid, inside, outside or no grid. The role assigned to the grid must be left to other plugins that use the tools of OD.

In the language file OD, I will change very gladly, but that's just my opinion, to use:
"Inside" instead of "Exclusion"
"Outside" instead of "Inclusion"
"Nothing" instead of "Neither"

Moreover, in this case, the title "Boundary Type" would be inappropriate. It would take a title that could be "Grid" for example.

But again, this is only a personal opinion. The opinion of the community will be welcome.

Best regards. Gilletarom.

Old 16-02-2016, 11:38   #1233
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
In the language file OD, I will change very gladly, but that's just my opinion, to use:

As the initial concept is not just a point, a line, or an area but to delimit - to say stay out or stay in - for me Jon's wording is logical.
Old 16-02-2016, 13:33   #1234

Boat: Richter 42

Gilletarom,
I am not sure 'Active' and 'Inactive' really make much sense, although it could be used by other plugins, i.e. Watchdog, when looking for boundary crossings. At the moment this is not the case.

I could add it to the Boundary Point, but I never built this as I was not sure it was really needed. If you think it would be useful can you create a flyspray for it. I can then add this functionality for the next release.

I used the OCPN Route and Waypoint code as a starting point for this plugin. Routes can be active and inactive so that is why Paths have this, Waypoints cant, so OD points cant.

Thanks
Regards
Jon

Quote:
Hello Jon Gough

I'll have to report me for a long time, but it took me a long time to see it.
The "Boundary area" can be enabled or disabled. By cons, it is impossible to enable or disable area constituted by discs around a "boundary points"

Why the difference in the concept?
Old 16-02-2016, 14:15   #1235

Gerhard,
I do understand what you wrote, and I have implemented as much as I could of your changes into the base line OD code. I know that you dont use cmake, but I do and so does OCPN and all the plugins I have looked at. This is done to make it easier for others to build and to build for multiple platforms. As I don't have a running Mac, virtual or physical, I cannot build and test my plugin on that platform.

You have implemented version numbers by using defines in the ocpn_draw_pi.h file, but I don't have this in my version and hence do not maintain it. You have to change this code for each change/patch I create to keep it current. I am hoping you have an automated way of doing this, as that would make it easier for you.

wxWidgets have a number of issues and these seem to be different on each platform. So I know that windows behave differently to linux and when I find these differences I add code to get around these. On the platforms I have I have not seen issues with the current dialogs/panels that I am using. So, it may be that the Mac behaves differently, so I would need to add code to the constructors for the dialogs/panels to cater for this. If you can provide this code it would be easier for me to build into the base line.

I have removed the two places where wxEXPAND and Vertical alignment existed. Thank for highlighting that. If you find more issues with this please let me know or create a pull to fix it.

Regards
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Jon,
obviously you have understand nothing what I wrote. I don't use cmake nor gcc nor the CMakeLists.txt file. I'm using Xcode, that is the IDE for the Apple operating systems. And of course the About window shows version numbers, see attachment.

You may also not believe that wxFormBuilder generates wrong code. But consult the wxWidgets docs to see that it is sadly true.
As thumb rules for sizer flags:
- don't use horizontal alignment flags together with wxWXPAND
- don't use vertical alignment flags together with wxWXPAND
- don't use horizontal alignment flags for horizontal sizers
- don't use vertical alignment flags for vertical sizers

All versions of wxFormBuilder doesn't handle it correct.

Gerhard
Old 16-02-2016, 14:56   #1236

hello JonGough,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Gilletarom,
I am not sure 'Active' and 'Inactive' really make much sense, ......
Jon
Hello Jongough,

I have wanted to continue the conversation, but I just did a test. And this raises a new question.

I created an alert using a "boundary" which is crossed by a boat. I arranged for the alert sounds if the boat passes through the "boundary".
BUT :
- If the "boundary" is activated, the alarm sounds.
- If the "boundary" is disabled, the alarm also sounds.

In other words, the notion of activation or deactivation, has no use here.

Question:
Apart from the color change of the lines and the grid, what is the potential of activated or inactivated to a boundary?

Old 16-02-2016, 20:22   #1237

Gilletarom,
I have changed OD, patch 662, and Watchdog, patch 031, to use the boundary state. This will not work for boundary points as they do not yet have active and inactive states. There are three possibles, Any, Active and Inactive, and the Alarm will use this to determine if the point being tested is inside the boundary. This may need slight adjustments, but....

Of course the Watchdog POT file has now changed! More translations to do! Can you please do a quick test to see if it is how you thought it should be? Then I will ask Dave/Pavel/Håkan to upload the pot file.

Jon
Old 17-02-2016, 01:22   #1238

hello JonGough,
Quote:
Gilletarom,
I have changed OD, patch 662, and Watchdog, patch 031, to use the boundary state. .... There are three possibles, Any, Active and Inactive, and the Alarm will use this to determine if the point being tested is inside the boundary. This may need slight adjustments, but....
..Can you please do a quick test to see if it is how you thought it should be? Then I will ask Dave/Pavel/Håkan to upload the pot file. Jon
Thanks for your work.
I run tests when RGleason put version of each of them in Thingie or when you put here two versions yourself.
Best regards. gilletarom.
Old 17-02-2016, 09:31   #1239
NAV

Quote:

Moreover, in this case, the title "Boundary Type" would be inappropriate. It would take a title that could be "Grid" for example.
As said before:
In Dutch (here translated back to English) I used 'to be avoided' and 'restricting'. Possible because I hardly used the Dutch word for 'Boundary' in Draw, but instead I used 'Line (or straight lined area)'. For Boundary Point: 'Point (or circle area)'.

For Boundary Type in Draw I use: "Type of line (or straight lined area)".
For Neither in Draw I use: "General".
For Boundary Type in Watchdog I use: "Alarm operates for following area type".
For Boundary Name in Watchdog I use: "Area".
For No Boundary Within in Watchdog I use: "No Boundary within" (the same). Same also for Inside Boundary and the word boundary in some other strings.

For my logic, it's all more about areas, lines and points than about boundaries or limits (although these are important for the Watchdog alarms).
Old 17-02-2016, 09:54   #1240

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
As said before:
In Dutch (here translated back to English) I used 'to be avoided' and 'restricting'. Possible because I hardly used the Dutch word for 'Boundary' in Draw, but instead I used 'Line (or straight lined area)'. For Boundary Point: 'Point (or circle area)'.

For Boundary Type in Draw I use: "Type of line (or straight lined area)".
For Neither in Draw I use: "General".
For Boundary Type in Watchdog I use: "Alarm operates for following area type".
For Boundary Name in Watchdog I use: "Area".
For No Boundary Within in Watchdog I use: "No Boundary within" (the same). Same also for Inside Boundary and the word boundary in some other strings.

For my logic, it's all more about areas, lines and points than about boundaries or limits (although these are important for the Watchdog alarms).
Nav Hello, Hello Jongough,

Translation method NAV can not be used. For example, he translated:
In OD: "Boundary Type" by "Type of line (or straight lined area)",
In WD : "Boundary Type" by "Alarm operates for following area type".

But items, WD, crush OD items because the WD language file is read after the language file of OD at startup OpenCPN.

Anyway, I gather, the response of NAV, it is imperative to use items that are not common to both plugins.

Old 17-02-2016, 09:58   #1241
NAV

Quote:
Of course the Watchdog POT file has now changed! More translations to do!
Done for the Dutch po-file.
Attached Files
File Type: doc watchdognl_17022016.po.doc (14.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 17-02-2016, 10:04   #1242
NAV

Quote:
Nav Hello, Hello Jongough,

Translation method NAV can not be used. For example, he translated:
In OD: "Boundary Type" by "Type of line (or straight lined area)",
In WD : "Boundary Type" by "Alarm operates for following area type".

But items, WD, crush OD items because the WD language file is read after the language file of OD at startup OpenCPN.

Initially I've seen this happening a couple of times. However, I use both plugins for a few weeks now, and I don't observe such problems anymore (see pictures). Don't ask me why ....

This is the loading sequence on my PC:
19:44:10: Opencpn language reload for: nl_NL
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-s63_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-br24radar_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-celestial_navigation_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-chartdldr_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-dashboard_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-grib_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-logbookkonni_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-ocpn_draw_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-polar_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-route_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-SAR_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-vdr_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-watchdog_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-weather_routing_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for: opencpn-wmm_pi
19:44:10: Loading catalog for opencpn core.

Edit: I now see that in one case the string is overwritten (the example given by Gilletarom). So I agree that for the strings "Boundary Type" should preferably be replaced by 2 or 3 different srings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Draw_Watchdog.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	119172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Draw_Watchdog2.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	119173  

Old 17-02-2016, 10:47   #1243
NAV

Quote:
Edit: I now see that in one case the string is overwritten (the example given by Gilletarom). So I agree that for the strings "Boundary Type" should preferably be replaced by 2 or 3 different srings.
Possibly I found another solution in Dutch. In both cases I now translated "Boundary Type" by "Betreft gebiedstype" ("Concerns area type").
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Draw_Watchdog3.PNG
Views:	25
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	119175  
Old 17-02-2016, 12:19   #1244

NAV,
Thanks. Update and in git.

Jon
Quote:
Done for the Dutch po-file.
Old 17-02-2016, 12:37   #1245

I see that translations of some parts of OD, Watchdog and possibly Weather routing are causing issues. From my perspective, in english, I am not sure quite what the problem is apart from lanugage support using the first found translation out of any of the translations for the whole of OCPN including all plugins.

For boundaries OD provides the graphical representation that users can see, watchdog provides the usage of these to enable alarms to be set. So if you want to mark an area to stay out of, i.e. rocks, shoals, wind turbines, etc. you would mark on the chart using a boundary with a type of exclusion - stay out. Then in watchdog you would create an alarm that would look for you getting near, entering, or being inside and exclusion boundary.

It may be that the word 'boundary' is causing the issues, perhaps 'zone' may be a better word, i.e. exclusion zone, inclusion zone, enclosed zone. Would this make more sense in other languages? I have used the word 'zone' in the watchdog, 'Guard zone', for using AIS messages as seeing if an AIS target is about to enter a defined, by GUID, boundary.

I do not really like the term 'line' for what is a two dimensional area as line is a one dimensional object. An Electronic Bearing Line (EBL) is an example of a one dimensional object, i.e. it has length and direction but nothing else.

Now back to the languages, in english, to me at least, the terms being used make sense and I don't find them confusing. In other languages do the above concepts not translate well? I understand issues where the same word is used for multiple concepts, i.e. Port side, docking Port, Port of Entry, etc. Is this what is causing the issues in other languages?

Jon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: