Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-01-2016, 04:00   #676

Boat: Drascombe Coaster (22ft) "Seanymph"
Jon, thx. I will test and give feedback approx. 1800 utc.
Roel

Old 05-01-2016, 07:14   #677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roel Smidt View Post
Jon, thx. I will test and give feedback approx. 1800 utc.
Roel
Correction: provided the updates are then available on Rick's beta file thingy. I cannot compile them myself.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:30   #678

Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

All Boundary alarms work O.K. now (Anchor, Distance, Guard Zone).
Just tested it with the files Rick put up yesterday on beta file thingy
WD .... d9afeb6-Jon-Allowconfig-dialog-win-resize-win32.exe
and OD .....MPR159-win32.exe

Roel
Old 05-01-2016, 19:42   #679

Boat: Richter 42

Håkan,
I have now put up a WD patch, 1.9017, which should fix the issue with the Boundary Time alarm. I have also reworked most of the popup message boxes and status alarms for boundary alarms.

I did some work on reducing the load on the system for the boundary distance alarm. It has to do a 360deg sweep at different distances out from the boat to see if a boundary of the correct type is there (it will find the first one found starting at 0deg and moving clockwise through 180 to 360, and starting at the boat position and moving out to the distance specified). Now to reduce the load on the system I have made the distance increment in a geometric progression, i.e. take the full distance as x, the next closest is x/2, then x/4, x/8 ... x/1024. The processing is in reverse order, i.e. at the boat, then x/1024 from the boat, then x/512, etc. I have also changed the radial angles checked dependant on how 'close' to the boat it is. As a first pass at this a check is done at 45deg angles for the first 5 distances, then the angle decreases the further away until at full distance there is an angle of 10deg between checks.

This all has the effect that the alarm is more accurate as the distance closes to the boundary. There is a possibility that a small boundary may fit in between checks and not be caught. I could, if there is a real need, put some sliders in for the user to select the granularity of the checks. The issue here is that, as it is currently coded, if there are no boundaries within the specified distance then 163 locations are checked to see if the lat/lon is in a boundary when the timer pops.

For my testing I have a 10second timer, but in real life this would probably be >30seconds, however, this does mean that the interface may slow down at the time the distance timer goes off.

Any thoughts/requirements/suggestions?

Jon
Old 06-01-2016, 02:18   #680

Boat: Najad 34

Jon
1) Thanks for the time fix. Now it's fine, see pict., and the alert is working as well.

2) On the same picture are two boundaries. The right has yellow squares around the boundary points the left not. The yellow square is now drawn around every point created and is persistent until the Properties box is opened by a right mouse click. And nothing needs to be done in the box, it can be closed by Cancel and the yellow squares disappear. Intentional?

3) Angle-wise boundary search. - Discussion.
Q: How do you get a value for the distance x?
Comment: If x is not to far away you'll not totally miss a boundary even though there could be a small risk to not catch it close enough. Even if a search between two angles could straddle over a far away boundary it will be cached sooner or later. This is not a big deal for me.
But - since we are searching for a boundary in front of the boat why do full circle test? Wouldn't it be enough to sweep from COG-90 to COG+90? And if COG is < 0.2 - no search? (You have the COG haven't you?)
Also, with the same amount of processing, the angles between each search could then increase if you're worried about straddling a boundary. But I'm not worried about missing boundaries but it could be worth to keep process load minimized.

Cheers
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OD.PNG
Views:	41
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	116266  
Old 06-01-2016, 13:10   #681

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass

New to 4.1.1301 PI Win
ocpn_draw_pi-0.4.598-ov4.1.1301-win32
Old 06-01-2016, 14:44   #682

Håkan,
I have fixed the highlight box showing on boundary points with patch 599.

The issue with testing is with the 'GPS fix is < x nm from any boundary' alarm. This means that a check has to be done around the full 360deg and from the boat out to the distance specified. Perhaps this alarm is too general and it should be more like the time alarm, i.e. the boat will cross into a boundary in less than y minutes. As the time alarm only looks along the predicted course using SOG and COG.

I based the alarms on the 'Landfall' alarm that was already in WD and guessed that a more general version of this using boundaries may be useful. I originally did this to demonstrate the capability of WD and OD working together to create extra functionality. I am not sure if the time and distance alarms are useful, but I do know that the guard alarm has been requested even if my implementation of it currently may not be too useful (still waiting on feedback from the original requesters).

Now that we have shown that the two plugins can work cooperatively perhaps there should be a discussion started on what users would like to see in the way of alarms and what would be the most useful.

Jon
Old 06-01-2016, 14:57   #683

Rick,
Sorry about this but I put a fix up, patch 599, for Håkan which resolved a issue where boundary points were highlighted on boundary creation (a bug introduced when I fixed up the left click issue). I have also put up 1.9018 of WD as I noticed that the Guard Zone alarm had stopped working due to an internal name change whilst trying to make the messages and statuses more meaningful.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass

New to 4.1.1301 PI Win
ocpn_draw_pi-0.4.598-ov4.1.1301-win32
Old 06-01-2016, 15:44   #684

Boat: Najad 34

Jon
Thanks, the yellow squares are now gone.

And my discussions about the boundary alarm was just that - a discussion. I didn't know the background and of course is the code chairing you did very efficient. It's no idea to rebuild a working wheel.
But actually I thought that the "GPS course crosses boundary in ...." was only looking in COG direction and the "GPS fix is..." is searching around the whole circle. Maybe i misunderstood your start of the discussion since we initially where discussion the time and I mixed up things here?
OK - never mind, all is great and your knowledge and efforts share is outstanding.

Håkan
Old 06-01-2016, 16:09   #685

Håkan,
The 'Time' alarm uses 10 steps along the COG starting at the boat and moving out, this means there are up to 11 location checks at the specified interval. The 'Distance' alarm does the same but over 360deg as well, so it results, currently, in 163 checks (initially it was 400!).

I am not really sure how to document this for clarity so that the users understand what is being done if they wish to use this alarm. However, I do think the user needs to be informed so that they don't set up the alarm to check every second, as this could cause slowdowns. Our boat only does 6knots, so a check every minute is almost too much, but if a user has one that does 40knots they may need to be down around the 10second mark. I also want to be clear that the alarm only checks certain spots around the boat and not all locations, so it is possible for a boundary to be within the alarm distance but not be found (i.e. a small rock boundary mark). I am still thinking about it, perhaps a graphic showing the locations checked may help, what do you think?

The AIS alarm (Guard Zone) does not work on a timer, it works when each AIS message is received by the WD plugin. There is a timer that will reset the status, but it does no checking. This is why I was a bit worried about performance in areas that have a high number of AIS class A targets that are updating rapidly.

Jon
Old 06-01-2016, 16:42   #686

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

No problem. Jon. Will update.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:03   #687

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello All,

Just install the last version of this plugin
on my tablet W10, 2560 X1600 PX.

You can see that the icon are very very litle. So, in this kind of Tablet, this plugin is not usable.
Sorry.
Best regards, Gilletarom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-07_draw.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	116335  
Old 07-01-2016, 18:45   #688

Gilletarom,
There is no requirement to use the floating toolbar with OD. In the preferences you can select to not show it at all. To access the drawing tools you left click the OD icon (not the manager icon) and then BEFORE you left click anything you can change tool by right clicking anywhere in OCPN. You will notice the icon in the toolbar changes and the mouse cursor. When you have the correct tool selected left click on OCPN where you want to draw or start drawing and it will start. To end right click again, press escape or left click the toolbar icon.

The OD floating toolbar is only to try and make life easier for some. I will have a look and see how OCPN does the icon scaling and see if I can apply that to make it look better. The only problem is I don't have a high resolution screen to try it out on.

Jon
Old 08-01-2016, 02:39   #689

Hello Jongough,

Thank you for your response. At first reading, I understood you offer a method "spare" to use the plugin. I will try to test it.

Meanwhile, I installed the plugin on another PC, Lenovo U41, larger screen but only 1920x 1080. The problem is similar. The icons are small, but slightly larger than the tablet. This is not a touch screen. I have a mouse. So I can run the plugin.

I have raised the issue of the size of the icons in the main over the previous beta and the current beta (411301). Pavel has already done important work by drawing new icons for the icon bar OpenCPN. And again, Dave changed the functioning of the heart O. Using the slider in the options / personalization, you can enlarge the icons. It's good. "Big thank you" Pavel and Dave, from me and all those who are facing this problem.

But the cursor does not change the size of icons in the plugins. Rather than trying to solve alone the problem, you must get in touch with Pavel and Dave to see how they will solve the problem.
In any way, it will draw new icons on the principle of the new icons of O bar icons (if not with the old technology, the icons become blurred by enlarging them.)

Best regards, Gilletarom.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:12   #690

Hello Jongough,

Just a first test on my Lenovo PC. W8.1.

I managed to create an area surrounded by red line and checkered red. I understood that to stop creating this area, it was necessary to make a simple right click. In other words, the right click does not open a context menu. It is not in the habits of OpenCPN. I also realized that to move a point defining an area, you must right-click to open a context menu. It's confusing.

I would prefer that it works like route building tool with the same operating mode. Especially since we are facing, as a user of OpenCPN, two modes of operation for the routes creations and routes changes: One for non-touch screens and one for touch screens.

Harmonization between all these modes would be good. Remember that many software users are far from being "gifted" to manipulate screen (Touch screen or not).

This is a topic that should be discussed with Dave.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: