Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 02:24   #226

Boat: Richter 42
Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

Hubert,
If you have just upgraded from a version which did not have 'natural scale' attached to a text point then you may have got a strange reaction. Text point text now will disappear, but leave the surrounding text box when you underzoom (zoom out) by 2x. At 8x the surrounding text box will also disappear. I am not sure if this should be user setable, but it would be easy to do if it was needed.

Is it all working for you now?

Do you want a JSON message setup to allow depths to be plotted as 'Text Points' (I think that is what you are showing with the arrows and text)?

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:34   #227
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Yes, looks fine and getting better with every version.

When you look at the tool tip of the EBL there do show 2 segments up and indeed the EBL has two segments: Boat-Boat and Boat-EBL point.
Can you get rid of the first one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Do you want a JSON message setup to allow depths to be plotted as 'Text Points' (I think that is what you are showing with the arrows and text)?

Jon
Working in that direction, correct. Give us some days to clarify concepts.
The idea is to enter with a JSON depth point object and to render it with the individual preferences defined within the OD-PI.
We are thinking about a colored "depth-trace/track" as well.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 18:56   #228

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Dashboard EBL and VRM effort using cursor. FYI
FS#619 : EBL and VRM display
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:44   #229

Boat: Amel Sharki

Jon,

I have compiled draw_pi for Mac OS X Yosemite and it seems to work so far.
However I have a completely different compiling environment without cmake and the such. I use Xcode, wxWidgets 3.1.0 and my plugins always compile as part of the OCPN master and not as standalone. So the path to header files is always different for my version.
There are some things which might be of interest to you however.
All my supplementary files especially for plugins are stored at Mac OS X in the user folder ~/Library/Preferences/opencpn/ and so the draw_pi files goes to ~/Library/Preferences/opencpn/plugins/draw_pi/data/ and not to the OpenCPN bundle.
Several strings in your code I precede with "_(" instead of "wxT(" or "wxS(" to make them translatable.
There are some small other changes I made and you may have a look at:
https://github.com/CarCode/Cocoa-OCP...lugins/draw_pi
Also there is still some fine tuning needed to get rid of some complains Xcode has.

To Hubert:
During translation I'm uncertain about these strings:
Quote:
Edge Panning Sensitivity (%age screen width) Default 5
EBL
Initial Edge Panning Sensitivity (%age screen width) Default 3
PathLegInfoRollover
Because it is the first time I use this plugin, I suggest "EBL" is the "Electronic Bearing Line" but what is its translation in german?

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:33   #230
bcn

It seems that EBL often is used "just as is".

What I found is this: EBL (Peilstrich), but I'm not familiar with Radar systems with German GUI. In some of the German manuals VRM/EBL are used without further translation.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:03   #231

I guessed so and will leave it as is.
However what is meant with: Edge Panning Sensitivity ???
Old 07-08-2015, 05:18   #232
bcn

When you try to draw a point outside of the canvas you would need to drag the chart - provoking a marker.

Now, if you get close to the edge of the canvas with the hovered pencil the chart will start to pan. The sensitivity setting determines from which distance to the edge the panning starts.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:07   #233

Thanks.
Why is it so difficult to describe this in some same short words into german?
Head scratching...
Old 07-08-2015, 06:11   #234
bcn

Abstand zum Rand für Autopan?
Old 07-08-2015, 09:12   #235

Jon, I am like a dog with a bone sometimes, and on top of that I think out loud. So please forgive me.

Quote:
1. & 2. are currently working. I am not really sure what benefit 3. would have. You can already create a two point boundary and just click on the boat location to set it. If your REALLY want to get picky you could then go into the properties and modify the lat/lon. 4. is just a two point boundary.
I am not sure I want to make it any more complicated than it is without being sure that it really is of benefit to the users.
Yes, we don't want it more complicated, but it should be useful.
Is there useful need to set an EBL from some particular "Point B" back to the Boat "Point A" and have it not move with the boat (IE: Fixed Lat/Long)?
--I say yes. Because when doing DR having these "Fixed" EBL markers can be very useful.
--If I am correct about that, then we should make it easy to set one of these "fixed" EBL suckers while bouncing around in the sea.

Please enlighten me.
Maybe the answer is "Just don't do it." because programming a right mouse click 'Ownship Lat-Long'' selection is too complicated and difficult to pick at sea?
Old 07-08-2015, 09:14   #236

Jon I'd be happy to start putting together documentation. I hope others can help too.
Old 10-08-2015, 00:53   #237

Boat: Richter 42

Rick,
Patch 0485 now implements the ability to detach an EBL from the boat, move either end, move the start to the boat lat/lon or reattached the EBL to the boat. No VRM yet, but thinking about it.

For the EBL it will always start attached to the boat and can be detached after setting it. It may be possible to have a setting to allow the default to be attached or not, but at the moment I am not sure I have the time to do that in the next week.

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:03   #238

Jon,

your commit "Fix up dialogs for Mac" in your patch 0485 is wrong. The few strings which have had the preced _(" before are not translatable anymore now since you have changed it to wxS(". Strings for translation MUST be preceded with _(". And this has nothing to do with Mac OS X but is a rule for any OS using Locale.

Be careful also using wxFormBuilder because it generates bad code sometimes. Especially the generated flags for sizers are wrong and therefore such code is asserted now in newer wxWidgets version. As thumb rules for sizer flags:
- don't use horizontal alignment flags together with wxWXPAND
- don't use vertical alignment flags together with wxWXPAND
- don't use horizontal alignment flags for horizontal sizers
- don't use vertical alignment flags for vertical sizers

Gerhard
Old 10-08-2015, 03:35   #239

Gerhard how the devil do you know this? Jon thumbs up. Thanks. Will give it a spin. Think l' ll start documentation using github.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:39   #240

Rick,
same as you do I'm using OCPN for several years now. And by the time I've read some documentations about Localisation using gettext and Poedit which is well documentated. Althought wxWidgets is not the best choice their developers do their best to make it better. There are also a lot of documents about wxWidgets around as well as a forum to ask things.
However my hints cannot help a lot because I don't use the same environment as the main stream. So I use e.g. a different compiler (LLVM) and not only a different OS. This helps me for better understanding because these things don't hide anything for the user.

Gerhard