Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2013, 19:04   #1

normal use, do you guys record a track or your routes?

I've used OpenCPN for route planning before; never really to record where I've gone.

Is that normally done with the track function or the route function? I'm making a little website where I can upload the places we've gone (parsing a gps file) but I'd like to get it right the first time.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 19:50   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: normal use, do you guys record a track or your routes?

Route is a planned route - has nothing to do where you actually went. Track is a recording of where you actually were - The recording algorithm is pretty smart at removing the unneeded "noise" caused by not always going as straight as one would want, so to get insight into it's working, when you start moving, play a bit with the tracking precision settings in the Toolbox->Ships, depending on what you want to show - While the low setting is sure recommended for long straight stretches, you perhaps want to switch to high while navigating complicated places and need more accuracy.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 21:32   #3

Just what I was looking for, thanks.

Can any developers advise if the output follows the gpx format for a track and looks basically like a route?
Old 29-09-2013, 22:00   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Not exactly sure what you mean by "looks basically like a route". We are following the GPX standard to the point. In GPX a route and track are "quite similar".
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 23:05   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
I've started saving tracks but download them from the gps as a gpx, then convert to a kml file in Opencpn and upload to Google maps, and save for opening in Google earth.
Nice way to relive some memories
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 04:02   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

routes in blue, tracks in pink, opencpn is set to automatically record daily tracks, very helpful and lots of information. If I am day sailing often I dont fill in the log, but go back later and check the tracks to update the logbook/blog etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	68033  
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 05:11   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

This is a very helpful discussion for Rebel Heart, but Rebel Heart, why not read the Manual? See this page. Ship Track | Official OpenCPN Homepage
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 08:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Not exactly sure what you mean by "looks basically like a route". We are following the GPX standard to the point. In GPX a route and track are "quite similar".
What I mean is that the way elements are handled is identical between one domain object and another which although should be standard practice, and it sounds like it is here, isn't something I would take for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
This is a very helpful discussion for Rebel Heart, but Rebel Heart, why not read the Manual? See this page. Ship Track | Official OpenCPN Homepage
That was my first stop; was just looking for some narrative from here as well. I'm sitting on my laptop and don't have anything interfaced with the boat's GPS, or do I have a GPS puck hanging around, so I can't check for myself.
Old 30-09-2013, 16:22   #9

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Its okay.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 23:35   #10

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I've used OpenCPN for route planning before; never really to record where I've gone.

Is that normally done with the track function or the route function? I'm making a little website where I can upload the places we've gone (parsing a gps file) but I'd like to get it right the first time.
My procedure is to create a planning route and use it for initial routing. But almost always the planning route gets changed as conditions and inspirations change. But the track is the 'official' record of the passage and, as such, I save it for future reference. Saving it in a file, suitably labeled, permits recalling it at any time and allows you to delete it from the program to avoid 'clutter'.

I use the GPSUtility program to convert the .gpx file into .kml for viewing on Google Earth.

HTH,

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
My procedure is to create a planning route and use it for initial routing. But almost always the planning route gets changed as conditions and inspirations change. But the track is the 'official' record of the passage and, as such, I save it for future reference. Saving it in a file, suitably labeled, permits recalling it at any time and allows you to delete it from the program to avoid 'clutter'.

I use the GPSUtility program to convert the .gpx file into .kml for viewing on Google Earth.

HTH,

Terry
Terry,

Any chance you could email me a kml (and gpx?) or just show me the link to Google Earth to view it? I'd love to know that if I build something that allows gpx imports it provides at least as much functionality as kml on google earth.

radpin 'at' gmail 'dot' com
Old 06-10-2013, 07:29   #12

I use the track option, however several time it gives very high speeds or is missing parts of the track. Don't why, but there for I use a separate gps to do the tracking.
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:40   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

A good track is very valuable in coral areas, because it shows a safe way out of complex, uncharted areas which you have entered carefully and with good visibility. If you have to leave in bad conditions, you REALLY need an accurate track that you can overzoom on and follow. Hopefully OpenCpn doesn't cut any corners on the recorded and displayed track.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by George64 View Post
I use the track option, however several time it gives very high speeds or is missing parts of the track. Don't why, but there for I use a separate gps to do the tracking.
Do you ever export that (from your GPS)? I was looking at my Garmin (older model) at even it has a track export function as .gpx

And if anyone can email me some .gpx files of tracks they've done (from whatever devices), I'd appreciate it!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:37   #15
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

Do you ever export that (from your GPS)? I was looking at my Garmin (older model) at even it has a track export function as .gpx

And if anyone can email me some .gpx files of tracks they've done (from whatever devices), I'd appreciate it!
When I get near my laptop I'll seen a selection.

Have you tried the logbook Konni plug in for OpenCPN? It can be set to record a log entry every whatever minutes, then can never exported as a kml file. Pushpin has position, speed and some other data which I can't remember. Good plug in.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
record, route