Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2010, 17:30   #1

Question Nobeltec Radar

Will the pc based Nobeltec Radar work without the Nobeltec Nav program.
I need a new Radar, but do not neen the Nav Program.

Thanks
rontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 17:51   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I would give them a call.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 18:15   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontom View Post
Will the pc based Nobeltec Radar work without the Nobeltec Nav program.
I need a new Radar, but do not neen the Nav Program.

Thanks
No it will not work without a display, and you will have no support from Nobeltec trying to make it work with some other type of display/software.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 18:22   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Nobeltec radars are kind of an obscure thing. I would go with something more popular. Have a look at Garmin and Furuno. I use both at work. Both companies are making good stuff. The Nobeltec software itself is excellent although expensive. I use this software as well. It's extremely versatile and intuitive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 14:16   #5

Nobeltec Radar

Thanks for the input, i think i will go with a stand alone radar like Furuno, i already have OpenCpn, i just thought it would be nice to have both on the same Monitor, but by the time i purchased the Nobeltec Radar, and the Software, and the other Addons, it would get to expensive. Nobeltec Software has priced themselves out of my Market.

Thanks again
Old 29-09-2010, 15:18   #6
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Thanks for the input, i think i will go with a stand alone radar like Furuno, i already have OpenCpn, i just thought it would be nice to have both on the same Monitor, but by the time i purchased the Nobeltec Radar, and the Software, and the other Addons, it would get to expensive. Nobeltec Software has priced themselves out of my Market.

Thanks again
If you want a "bargain" you can interface that Furuno to Nobeltec. It just takes a proprietary black box from Nobeltec for something like $3,000. Then you get to purchase the Nobeltec software, the radar version upgrade, the charts, etc.

So, for less than 10k you can use that Furuno. What a deal.

It actually does give one advantage, though. You can see the radar on both it's own dedicated display, and simultaneously in the software. If your PC nav system dies, you still have radar. And if the radome dies, you don't necessarily have to buy the same brand next time.

But, come on. 3k for a little black box to connect my $1,500 radar? Even overpriced Nobeltec has a radar for $2,400!

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 21:08   #7

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:

Thanks again
I might be wrong (you may want to check), but I think the Nobeltec software comes with the radar. It's great software, but the two downsides are 1) proprietary charts are expensive, 2) they use copy protection.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 21:15   #8
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Then you get to purchase the Nobeltec software, the radar version upgrade...

-dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I might be wrong (you may want to check), but I think the Nobeltec software comes with the radar....
Woops, you are right. When you by the Nobeltec radar, the upgrade to the radar version of the software comes with it. And you may well be right. Even if you don't have the software at all, the whole thing may come with it.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 06:33   #9

Rose Point Radar

I have had Nobeltec Nav in the Past, and it is a good program, I called Nobeltec recently to find out if their Radar would work with OpenCpn, and the particular tech guy i talked to,did not know, or if he did he would not say, but i have adapted to OpenCpn, and like it better, and would like to use it, integrated into a Radar,
I see that Rose Point has the same set up as Nobeltec, they also use Koden Radars as does Nobeltec, along with their own Coastal Navigator Nav Program, Like Nobeltec, it has its own protcol for its own program integrated in the Radar.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:14   #10

Others have integrated it...

Both Koden and Navico RADARs have integration into the Expedition sail racing navigator package.

So 3rd party integrations using SDK for these two suppliers IS possible.

Whether the manufacturers would release an SDK to an open source project, and of course how much it would cost (either for a development license, or end users) is of course a different matter...

Another potential area that proprietary plugins (with some fudging to get around the GPL direct linking issue) might be a solution.

Regards,

Mike
bluearcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nobeltec, radar