Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2015, 11:53   #16

Re: No GPS if laptop is charging. strange

Assumptions are being made. Is your adaptor rs232 or rs422? Wire accordingly, but it should be 422 as that is nmea 0183 signaling - I believe without double checking.

422 is differential, connect both - & + wires if that is the adaptor type. If it is an rs232 adaptor, you might just might, get away with connecting the 2 data - to ground. In all cases, connect ground from the device to the adaptor as it is likely passed through to the pc's USB.

The pc and rs232 are unrelated as you are using USB input. There hasn't been an rs232 port on a computer for at least 10, maybe 15 years.

Sorry if this is too much info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 13:53   #17

Paul,

The ground lift adapter on the inverter works. The power supply that i want to use is a universal DC to DC laptop power supply. It plugs into the lighter socket and has interchangeable tips to work on all brands and voltages of laptops. any idea on how to lift the ground on that? I tried to connect the NEMA - to ground but that didn't work.

On another note it was cool to see a search and rescue plane show up on opencpn AIS. Airplane icon and moving at 200 knots heading back to base.

Richard Hess
OBX, NC
sailouterbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 14:10   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailouterbanks View Post
Paul,

The ground lift adapter on the inverter works. The power supply that i want to use is a universal DC to DC laptop power supply. It plugs into the lighter socket and has interchangeable tips to work on all brands and voltages of laptops. any idea on how to lift the ground on that? I tried to connect the NEMA - to ground but that didn't work.

On another note it was cool to see a search and rescue plane show up on opencpn AIS. Airplane icon and moving at 200 knots heading back to base.

Richard Hess
OBX, NC
Hi Richard.

I don't think there is an easy way to isolate the ground on your DC/DC adaptor.

See my previous post about not using the NMEA- connection. I think the ground issue will be resolved.

(I deleted the post Richard refers to, since it contained incorrect info about the GX2200 NMEA connections)
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, gps, laptop