Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2010, 23:28   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

hellosailor,

There are cases where a bad checksum is generated, or created, and it is consistantly bad. This can be due to (poor) multiplexer design, or other reasons. While it would be best if the bad checksum were not being generated, as long as the data values are plausible, and agree with other measurements (or common sense), it's probably OK to use, at least until the checksum problem can be properly solved.

I will probably be posting the new version of NavMonPc tomorrow (Sunday) -- I decided to write up a User's Guide Supplement, since there are several significant changes. The Checksum Repair option works well.

I'm not recommending blindly using data with bad checksums, but if you've got a solid hookup that otherwise works reliably, I think you should be able to use the data for a while. If you want to worry about errors, you can always have bogus data with perfect checksums. In fact, I think that's a much more likely scenario.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, nmea