Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-11-2010, 07:11   #1

NMEA Compass

Hi,

I have both a GPS and a compass connected to my computer. They are connected by USB (via serial converters). In Windows, they use two different serial ports. How can I use the NMEA stream from the compass? I do not want to use the compass data from the GPS.

Do I need to modify the source code? Where should I put these modifications? In nmea.cpp?

Old 24-11-2010, 09:36   #2

Hi stensmo...

I understand you wish to use HDG instead of COG for some purpose. What is the purpose and why?

Cheers,

Piotr

Old 24-11-2010, 10:48   #3

Becasue the compass is more accurate than the gps at low speeds. I have a sail boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
Hi stensmo...

I understand you wish to use HDG instead of COG for some purpose. What is the purpose and why?

Cheers,

Piotr
Old 24-11-2010, 11:06   #4

stensmo...

True, a compass is more accurate as to where your bows does point, but not necessarily as to where your boat is actually sailing...

Most functions of a chartplotter, OCPN included, refer to actual or predicted geographical situation, which is more related to real Course Over Ground (currents and leeway included), rather than momentarily orientation of the vessel. If you like to use the HDG e.g. for coursekeeping, you might wish to configure e.g. OCPN to use the GPS NMEA port for COG and another tool, like PolarCOM, to display the HDG, coming from another NMEA port, completely independent of OCPN. Then you will have the best of both worlds.

I do not think this is a case for modifying any source code .

Cheers,

Piotr
Old 24-11-2010, 12:10   #5

I use the "course up" mode, so I want the map to reflect my current heading, even at low speeds.

The GPS now where it is regardless of the compass direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
stensmo...

True, a compass is more accurate as to where your bows does point, but not necessarily as to where your boat is actually sailing...

Most functions of a chartplotter, OCPN included, refer to actual or predicted geographical situation, which is more related to real Course Over Ground (currents and leeway included), rather than momentarily orientation of the vessel. If you like to use the HDG e.g. for coursekeeping, you might wish to configure e.g. OCPN to use the GPS NMEA port for COG and another tool, like PolarCOM, to display the HDG, coming from another NMEA port, completely independent of OCPN. Then you will have the best of both worlds.

I do not think this is a case for modifying any source code .

Cheers,

Piotr
Old 24-11-2010, 12:59   #6

I could implement the feature private to myself if anybody else does not want it. But people who have a compass would probably want to use the data for "course up" and the compass in the dashboard. COG is fine for everything else.
Old 24-11-2010, 13:52   #7

stensmo...

Having course-up display HDG- rather than COG-oriented is a valid request. Many systems implement this indeed. I do not know if this had been expressed before.

I myself am not a great HDG-UP fan for charts display, because of most unfavourable PC screen aspect in this direction, and maybe because of the habit of handling paper charts. However, in some cases of narrow pilotage, HDG-up probably may be helpful.

I tend to think yet another feature might be useful, where for example - knowing that my general course will be NE - I choose to have my boat always pinned down to near SW corner of the display, still having it North-up. Something that might be called "keep my boat here"...

You might probably start by looking for occurences of "cog" throughout the solution.

Cheers,
P.
Old 24-11-2010, 17:10   #8

Boat: Fantasia 35 - s/v Feeling Good
stensmo,

I understand that some NMEA multiplexers can be programmed to translate NMEA messages from one type to another. This might be another way to address this problem without having to modify OpenCPN.

Old 25-11-2010, 11:57   #9

Thanks,

That was one option I had in mind. Are you talking about hardware multiplexers?

This problem can be solved by using software. Do you know of a software which can use NMEA data from two physical serial ports, do some translation and combine them into one serial port in Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
stensmo,

I understand that some NMEA multiplexers can be programmed to translate NMEA messages from one type to another. This might be another way to address this problem without having to modify OpenCPN.

Old 25-11-2010, 19:29   #10

Boat: Fantasia 35 - s/v Feeling Good
stensmo,

I don't know of any software that acts as a multiplexer. I was referring to hardware multiplexers.

Old 25-11-2010, 22:00   #11
Marine Service Provider

Software Multiplexer

SeaClear will accept data from up to 3 separate com ports. The datastream is multiplexed into a single stream and can be output by using SeaClear's Passthrough feature. You can daisychain separate instances of SeaClear to multiplex more inputs.
What OpenCPN does with the heading data I don't know

regards

Richard Fairman JP BA Author SeaClear Unleashed
Old 26-05-2011, 20:25   #12

Boat: Rosborough 246
Re: NMEA Compass

Franson at Franson - Quality software at affordable prices sells a software multiplexer for NMEA data. I use it to multiplex depth sounder readings and gps data. It is relatively inexpensive, somewhere around $30 US.
Old 27-05-2011, 03:14   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd0d View Post
Franson at Franson - Quality software at affordable prices sells a software multiplexer for NMEA data. I use it to multiplex depth sounder readings and gps data. It is relatively inexpensive, somewhere around $30 US.
I guess you could have the same for free: XPort

Gunther
Old 27-05-2011, 08:00   #14
Marine Service Provider

stensmo....

Currently, FWIW, the only thing that OCPN uses compass heading for is orientation of ownship icon.

Your request is valid, though. We really need more configurability on NMEA data sources and utilization.

We will get to it when resources allow.

How about a Feature Request for the Flyspray tracker?

Thanks
Dave
Old 27-05-2011, 08:28   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

Getting navigation software to recognize data coming from a number of comports can be a problem.

The solution is a NMEA multiplexer. We use one for our data storage computers and it works fine. We have numerous sources of NMEA data all of which must get recorded to these computers and a multiplexer is the only way for us to accomplish this.

With a multiplexer your HDG and your COG does not have to be a one or the other choice. You can have both going to an electronic chart which shows both a vector for your COG and your HDG.

I prefer North Up...Heading Up for me is disorienting with the chart constantly twisting around. This is obviously a personal preference with no right or wrong choice. Funny thing is I prefer heading up on the radar, probably because that is what I was brought up with before most radars were integrated with a compass. Although on larger vessels, north up was just as easy and required for doing radar plots.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass, nmea

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: