Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 02:30   #1

new2ocpn charts

Hi Folks finally took the plunge and started to explore OCPN so go easy on me.

I mostly powerboat in around Irish Sea UK and have a fair handle on on-board electronics, PCs, Networking etc . I use SeaClear but need a software that is moving forward in development to allow me to add in needed new features.

First of is there anywhere I can get hold of current charts for UK/Irish Sea in a format suitable for OCPN for easy money? I dont really want to start converting my current charts untill I get a feel for the software so if anyone has a few charts I can use for testing around the Strangford Lough / Irish Sea area I can use them for real time nav and run the app through its paces. I have a new low power PC and sunlight readable screen set up on the RIB so can test in a few days.

George
mi3gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:30   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: new2ocpn charts

Welcome to OpenCPN and his forum.

The cheapest thing to do is to convert just one or two of your SeaClear charts for testing. If they are already BSB charts, with a ".kap" file extension, you can use them without conversion. If they are the ".wci" SeaClear format they do need conversion. See Chart Conversion Manual | Official OpenCPN Homepage and Chart Conversion | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Maptech and UK based VisitMyHarbour are releasing a new set of BSB4 charts covering UK & Ireland, based on current UKHO charts. The cost for these charts is similar to the cost of two UKHO paper charts !!. More about this here: VisitMyHarbour work with Maptech to produce UK/Ireland BSB charts : by VisitMyHarbour [Maptech BSB Charts] - VisitMyHarbour articles

Then there are the German NV charts covering UK. These are based on IMRAY charts and comes bundled together with the paper chart edition.
More about these charts here: Willkommen beim NV-Verlag, Arnis

Windows only plugins are available from opencpn.org, for bsb4 and nv charts.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts