Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 20:01   #76

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: New rtlsdr Plugin

I've now reinstalled the driver again using Zadiag and tried to run SDR# and it does not recognize a device. So whatever this $8 RTL DVB-T+DAB+FM does it is not working for me.

Even though they are sending a new one in 20 days, I am going to get a better more reliable one now, becuase it is just not worth screwing around with garbage equipment.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 20:11   #77
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I've now reinstalled the driver again using Zadiag and tried to run SDR# and it does not recognize a device. So whatever this $8 RTL DVB-T+DAB+FM does it is not working for me.

Even though they are sending a new one in 20 days, I am going to get a better more reliable one now, becuase it is just not worth screwing around with garbage equipment.
I figured I was at work, and I happened to have one in my locker, so I dug up an old windows machine and tried it out. It went smooth, the only two changes from default in SDR# were to select the proper source, and then crank up the RF gain. Oddly, the gain defaulted to zero. Here's a pic of the screen.

JRM

I'll try and install OpenCPN on this thing and see what happens. I'm here till 8:am...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409973066766.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	87801  
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 20:12   #78
JRM

Heh. Phone upload inverted the pic. Sorry.

Old 06-09-2014, 22:38   #79

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I think if sdrsharp works, then it is working.

I am waiting then to confirm someone picked up a ship under windows using the plugin before making an official release for windows.

I would be interested to hear any success with gnuradio as well.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:48   #80

Sean Today I am ordering a Nolo Electric version as I should have to begin with! $23 instead of $8 but the 8 is a huge waste of time. I don't think the 8 works for SDR with the zadiag drivers, but I am lacking experience in this device, in particular a working device experience.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-09-2014, 03:52   #81

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

The $8 one works for me, I posted a picture on the wiki. I would love to compare different dongles and different programs for range of reception.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:06   #82

I purchased an $8 Jummax Amazon.com: RTL-SDR, FM+DAB, DVB-T USB Stick Set with RTL2832U & R820T. Great SDR for SDR#, HDSDR, and Other Popular SDR Software Packages!: Electronics but I am having trouble even confirming that it works! They are sending another from China (20 days delivery).

The reviews of this are positive for SDR and instructive. Best Review:

"I got the cheap version, not the "brand name" - as my research showed that actually they are the same product made by the same manufacturer at the same plant with the same components. So why to pay extra?
  1. There is no need to use any of the software provided on the mini cd, not even the device drivers. Simply download the installation script kit (sdr-install.zip) from sdrsharp's website (sdrsharp.com), unzip it in a folder and run the batch file which in turn downloads the Zadig USB drivers, the RTLSDR library, and the sdrsharp application. (If you are using windows xp, download also zadig_xp_v2.0.1.160.7z instead of zadig_v2.0.1.160.7z downloaded by the install script)
  2. The batch script then unpacks everything in a folder. That's the extent of the installation; so this is a "portable" install, not a classic windows install which modifies the registry. If you ever want to remove it you simply delete the folder.
  3. At that point you need to connect your device to an usb port on your computer and run zadig in order to get the proper device driver initialized.
  4. There is a step by step tutorial at the site where you downloaded the software. This is a one time task.
  5. Then you run sdrsharp, part of which basically looks like a software radio panel (the rest is more of a spectrum analyzer with frequency monitor and waterfall).
  6. You can quickly tune in some FM stations and verify that everything is working fine.
  7. Obviously, you've got to connect the small antenna supplied in the package. The itsy-bitsy antenna works surprisingly well. As for accuracy, I was lucky enough that my device is dead-on accurate with no frequency drift of any kind. Using a better antenna will certainly improve sensitivity and selectivity, but the beginning package is perfect for the money.
  8. Quick end note: It is said that you can download the usb driver, the rtlsdr library and sdr sharp manually. But when you do so, there are always a few missing dlls which make the device either not recognized by windows or crash on start up. So, the install script is the best way to make things work.
I have followed these instructions and been unable to pick anything up on FM. Is this the same one you purchased Sean? -Later - Yes, they look exactly the same.

Jummax also has Amazon.com: JUMMAX DVB-T RTL-SDR SDR TV DAB FM Realtek RTL2832U R820T 50MHz-2200MHz for Windows 8 7: Electronics
for $7.70.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:05   #83

I have removed the Zadiag driver:

Control > Device Manager > System > USB Devices > Bulk-in Interface (Interface 0)
-Right click and check "Delete the driver software for this device."

I have reinstalled the Zadiag driver Zadig - USB driver installation made easy in accord with the instructions.
- I found a device "Bulk-in Interface (Interface 0)"
- I had put the antenna on top of a tune fish can.

I then downloaded the SDR# software SDR# | Software Defined Radio in C# and followed those instructions running the install script and overwritting the previous installation.

I then executed SDRSharp.exe and with
Source: "Other (Soundcard)"
Radio: "AM"
Pick "Play"
The display is showing activity and scrolling color.

Then selected:
Source "RTL-SDR USB"
Radio: "AM"
Pick: "Play"
Popup "Error" "No compatible device found"
Radio: "NFM"
Pick "Play"
Popup "Error" "No compatible device found"
Same for LSB USB WFM DSB CW RAW
Also has same message when hit the Gear for Settings!

Yet I have a USB Icon at the startbar which shows "Safely Remove Hardware & Eject" and "Eject RTL2838HIDIR"

Also I have
Device Manager > USB Devices > Bulk In Interface (Interface 0)
> Properties > General Tab > "This device is working properly"
1. Is my DVB-T+DAB+FM Dongle working properly?
2. Does it have the correct drivers and are they installed properly?
3. Have I downloaded the correct software to check the dongle?
4. Have I installed the software properly?
4. Am I using the SDRSharp software properly?
5. What software settings should I use?
6. When I run the Opencpn 3.3.2028 rtlsdr plugin (most recent) software "Auto Calibrate" with the small antenna on top of a tuna can, I still get -98. Then when I try to test FM 104.4 there is an Opencpn Crash and the Log file shows:

Quote:
"9:48:01 AM: LOGBOOK: 2014-09-07 13:48:01 UTC DR Lat 35.43380 Lon -44.67300
9:48:59 AM: Error: Failed to kill process 11628 (error 5: access is denied.)
9:48:59 AM: Error: Execution of command 'rtl_fm -r 48k -s 250k -f 104.4M' failed (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)"
I find
C:\Users\Rick\Downloads\sdr-install\sdrsharp
has aisdecoder.exe and rtl_fm.exe

When I "Run" at command line
rtl_fm -r 48k -s 250k -f 104.4M
I get:
Quote:
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2028\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin>rtl_fm -r 48k -s 2
50k -f 104.4M
"No supported devices found.
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2028\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin>"
Sdrsharp is installed here:
C:\Users\Rick\Downloads\sdr-install\sdrsharp

Is the DONGLE working?
Old 07-09-2014, 18:04   #84

Serge pointed out it is Zadig please disregard my reference to Zadiag above.
Zadig - USB driver installation made easy
Old 07-09-2014, 19:11   #85
JRM

In Linux, you have to disable the DVB-T driver, because the whole way to use the dongle for SDR is to bypass it and access the IQ directly.

Did you happen to load the drivers that came with the card? If Windows works the same way, then the DVB-T driver may be capturing the hardware. Try setting it up on a second machine from scratch, if you can.

JRM

Old 07-09-2014, 19:30   #86

JRM
I got the darn thing and installed the Blazer software. Then tried running AISDecoder and rtlsdr, then finding they did not work, started reading and learned that that software should not be installed. So I uninstalled it and uninstalled the drivers using the check box to "Remove the software drivers completely." Then I rebooted and made sure the drivers were uninstalled.

Then installed the zadig drivers etc.

Thanks for the heads up however, I think I have the right drivers now after a number of tries and failures.
Old 07-09-2014, 20:16   #87

Just lurking, but I now have 4 of these dongles, including two that are visually identical to what you have, and they all fired up and worked with SDR#.

It's been months since I last did the configuration (on win XP), but I recall following the SDR# instructions to the letter, and the dongle worked right away. As mentioned, any local broadcast FM stations should boom in like gangbusters. Marine VHF, weather, taxis, pagers, police, fire, railroad... I've also picked up all of these.

btw the supplied antenna is crappy at the lower range of the dongle (eg under 400 MHZ). I bought a cheap set of VHF-UHF rabbit-ears and it works better.

Interesting thread, I hope to try the AIS plugin at some point.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 05:15   #88

New update to rtlsdr
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1628316

Sean I am waiting to receive a replacement dongle, takes 20 days, should be here by now.

Note: I also use the same USB port for my Samsung Cell phone to move photos. Could that be a problem? -The USB config of my Samsung 4G came up as "Phone" this time and was not under "Drives". I could still access the DCIM folder and move the photos, but it restricted me to just the public storage area, so something changed recently... I could try the first rtlsdr but I have not had much luck with it, need a crowded harbor first.
Old 20-09-2014, 07:38   #89

Boat: Trismus 37'
Talking Sound with VHF and FM

Bonjour Sean,

Super, extra, great, your SDR OpenCPN plugin !
I like very much simple lite and cheap solutions (KISS philosophy) for navigation and I would integrate it in the next version of Xinutop... but I have some sound trouble: Any sound on FM or VHF. The command line is efficient only outside of OCPN. Tried this:

- Version plugin official deb and compiled from github
- librtl V5.2.7 and V5.3
- jackd -d alsa
- Modifified version of your source for sox/play as:
rtl_fm -f <freq> -s 170k -r 32k | play -t raw -r 32k -es -b 16 -c 1 -V1 -
rtl_fm -f <freq> -s 24k -r 24k | play -t raw -r 24k -es -b 16 -c 1 -V1 -
note: some modifs to -r and -s come from results of sound quality tests
- tried on 2 computers, ubuntu based 12.04 and 14.04

Not tried the AIS for the moment, I am outside of vessels zone
So I ask you if you have and idea to explore, I am electronician and ham-radio, not programmer and C is above my level !

Cordialement, Frank Marinux

PS:
About others (revolutionaries) sensors: SensorTag, many sensors in one package,
  • IR temperature Sensor
  • Humidity Sensor
  • Pressure Sensor
  • Accelerometer
  • Gyroscope
  • Magnetometer
for ~$20 !
marinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 10:21   #90

Thank you Frank for your suggestions. I might try those settings to see if there is any response.

I have had a chance to reflect on the troubles I've had. I have two USB 3.0 ports. One is used all the time for my mouse and the other has been used to access data on my Samsung S4 Phone (Photos, Charts for MXMariner, etc). Then I tried to use that same USB port for my new DVB-T+DAR+FM dongle (and in the process deleting and reinstalling USB drivers to get it working properly.) I have not yet succeeded.
Also now when I plug my phone into the same USB 3.0 port my access to the phone data is very different than it used to be (Is this change due to my messing with the USB drivers, or is it due to changes in the Android/Phone OS?

I am wondering if I need to uninstall the DVB-T+DAB+FM Zadig drivers every time I try to plug in my phone. I thought USB was pretty smart about using drivers....is it really?

Thanks for the heading sensor suggestion. Now all we need is some inexpensive Solar PV wind and direction sensor with bluetooth, and a similar depth/speedo sensor.