Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2019, 02:14   #391

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: New rtlsdr Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Is there a debian/ubuntu Linux version of this plugin for 5.0 it doesn't seem to be in the ppa?
I have downloaded and compiled boat_alexandra/seandepagnier latest code (Jun 16, 2019) from github, and compiled it for O5.

Why does the manual point to rgleasons fork? This fork has not been updated to include Seans latest code. Is there a need for a fork? If so....keep it updated!

Thomas

rtlsdr_pi_-1_amd64.deb.pdf
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:48   #392
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I have downloaded and compiled boat_alexandra/seandepagnier latest code (Jun 16, 2019) from github, and compiled it for O5.

Why does the manual point to rgleasons fork? This fork has not been updated to include Seans latest code. Is there a need for a fork? If so....keep it updated!

Thomas

Thanks.. Up and running. Although it crashes OCPN if I hit auto-calibrate. My RTL-SDR doesn't need calibration but I was just hitting buttons.

Just work, does exactly what it says on the tin.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:37   #393

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thomas this is volunteer powered furthermore I saw no notices of update, and had no response from anyone when l built ir for 5. So don't be so demanding.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:33   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Thomas this is volunteer powered furthermore I saw no notices of update, and had no response from anyone when l built ir for 5. So don't be so demanding.
Why fork a plugin that is not abandoned by it's original author?
Sure there are better things to do!
Old 09-09-2019, 07:50   #395

Thomas,
I have forked this from day one in order to compile for Windows. Where have you been? I have forked most of Seans plugins so as to compile for Windows. Indeed many of the Windows plugins for 5.0 were compiled by me. This has been the situation historically. So just back off.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:38   #396

Cagney wrote;
Quote:
Why does the manual point to rgleasons fork?

Furthermore this statement is incorrect. The manual clearly points to Sean's repository. Sean and I have worked collaboratively for 7 years on his plugins, and many if not all have been forked by me over the years. You should know this, so why make the offensive, misleading and incorrect statements?

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...dar:rtlsdr_usb
Old 09-09-2019, 11:58   #397

Looking back at my original post...
It was misleading to say that the manual is pointing to rgleason's git page.
I went to https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/rtlsdr.html, opencpn.orgs download page for the plugin. As there was no mentioning of a Linux download I clicked the "Source" link and this link took me to rgleason's page.

Still... why fork Sean's git code at all, not for personal use, but for general OpenCPN use? The drawback in having two places with the code, one where it is developed and the fork, with some changes, trying to catch up, is clearly illustrated in this case. Confusing for a user who want to use the code to compile for Linux.
Why not merge your fork with Sean's code by sending him a pull request with your changes.
Old 09-09-2019, 13:13   #398

Cagney

I will not get into a discussion on the forum about this. You know the reasons and I have given them to you, but if you wish to continue this discussion, contact me via my email please.

Regarding the opencpn.org Downloads page, the link was perhaps made while updating the page, so please contact the webmaster. I am sure she will make the change if you request it. As you know it is not always easy to change these links in html code, so perhaps that is why. I have found that the webmaster is quite responsive to making these changes.

Best Regards
Rick

Quote:
Looking back at my original post...
It was misleading to say that the manual is pointing to rgleason's git page.
I went to https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/rtlsdr.html, opencpn.orgs download page for the plugin. As there was no mentioning of a Linux download I clicked the "Source" link and this link took me to rgleason's page.

Still... why fork Sean's git code at all, not for personal use, but for general OpenCPN use? The drawback in having two places with the code, one where it is developed and the fork, with some changes, trying to catch up, is clearly illustrated in this case. Confusing for a user who want to use the code to compile for Linux.
Why not merge your fork with Sean's code by sending him a pull request with your changes.
Old 09-09-2019, 14:08   #399

Quote:

I accept your apology.
The above is a linux centric statement. If github intended your restrictive use, we would not have forks available.
Old 09-09-2019, 15:11   #400

BTW, Cagney,

Sean sometimes just ignores my PR's. Please see this.
https://github.com/seandepagnier/rtlsdr_pi/pulls

Since March!

Perhaps you should check your statements more completely before you try to make trouble.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:11   #401

Boat: Amel Sharki

rgleason

Me too compiling and sometimes altering the sources for myself. But I only use them for my own needs and never publish them.
You might do it the same perhaps. So a lot of trouble with different versions and other bad discussions is not needed anymore. Think about it please.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:45   #402

Carcode,
I certainly will think about that and move towards that, however it was necessary in order to build windows pi.

With appveyor and travis builds it is possible to avoid other forks but the original repos has to be setup for this and that is not always the case.

I believe everyone is trying to get their repositories so they will build the full range of os plugins and with a tag push, create a release of those pi for various os.

I am certainly trying to help us move in that direction and if all pi authors could do that I could just be a user.
Old 23-10-2019, 12:49   #403

I downloaded and installed onto y Pi3. However when I go to the plugins it doesnt show. Also when I build it I have rtl_fm but no rtl_ais
thecivvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:19   #404

Hi!

I just bought a RTL-SDR-Stick for my Rasbperry Pi 4 using OpenPlotter5.

Please, can you add the Plug-In to the repository so that we can easily install it by using

sudo apt-get install opencpn-plugin<PLUGIN_NAME> ?

Or can you tell me, what I have to do as a "Linux-Beginner"?

Thank you very much!

Yours Harry
Harry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 17:07   #405
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry99 View Post
Hi!

I just bought a RTL-SDR-Stick for my Rasbperry Pi 4 using OpenPlotter5.

Please, can you add the Plug-In to the repository so that we can easily install it by using

sudo apt-get install opencpn-plugin<PLUGIN_NAME> ?

Or can you tell me, what I have to do as a "Linux-Beginner"?

Thank you very much!

Yours Harry
HI Harry,

you should find what you need at the Github page here https://github.com/seandepagnier/rtlsdr_pi
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote