Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 01:44   #31

Boat: BENETEAU
Re: New plugin releases

Thanks to all the guys, they are doing a very good job

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:10   #32
cruiser

Am I reading that page right are none of those plugins available for Mac?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:00   #33

Boat: Phantom 19

Jammer...
You are reading very well. Why? It's very simple. None of the plugin authors has a Mac and none of our beloved Mac users ever contributed a built library for this platform...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:40   #34

Boat: Amel Sharki

Pavel,

it's very simple, none of the Mac users was even capable to build a sufficient running main app. See here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...mac-99447.html
So without a main app there are no plugins either. And even when they succeeded these plugins will not be compliant to the currently known Mac binary 3.2 from opencpn.org because it was build with wxWidgets 2.8. All the attemps to build for Mac are using wxWidgets 2.9 however. wxWidgets 2.8 runs only with 32-bit Carbon and Carbon will be abandoned by Apple.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 13:43   #35

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I thought it was running, by using wxWidgets 2.9 as I recall. Sean also has wxWidgets and OpenCpn 3.2 running under Linux right now but that probably doesnt means anything to this problem.

So what do the Mac Guys do, get stuck in the dark ages with Carbon and an old version of Opencpn?

To bad Apple abandons Carbon. Its a shame, after all the effort and perseverance by everyone involved! I was very impressed by the persistence. There must be some alternative to Carbon. What does Carbon do?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 14:04   #36

Apple abandoned also Rosetta times ago. So apps for PowerPC does not run anymore with modern Macs. These are 64-bit systems and apps should be compiled for Cocoa (64-bit) while old Carbon was 32-bit.
Times go on...

Gerhard
Old 07-04-2013, 14:10   #37

Gerhard's observations lead me to ask how do we compile MSVC++ for 64 bit on Win7. Haven't done that yet. Does it require something special? Probably should read up on it... I thought we did have some 64 bit version of Opencpn....
Old 07-04-2013, 16:18   #38

Rick,

We are not building 64bit for Windows. It's not bringing anything for the vast majority of the people.
@CarCode - How much more time do you think I have to answer your nowhere leading comments containing at best half the real information? Please, if you want to solve anything, try to do so. At least a little bit. If not, I just have to ask: What is your purpose here?

Pavel
Old 07-04-2013, 21:56   #39

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I build both wx 2.8 and 2.9 on linux. Why don't you post your build errors if you can't figure them out? They are probably trivial.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:42   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
@CarCode - How much more time do you think I have to answer your nowhere leading comments containing at best half the real information? Please, if you want to solve anything, try to do so. At least a little bit. If not, I just have to ask: What is your purpose here?
Pavel
Pavel,
please keep in mind that Mac uses normally Clang from LLVM which is more strict than Linux or Windows compilers. You may see the differences here:
Language Compatibility

BTW LLVM got the software award 2012 from Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).

But there are other problems as well for Mac users. So e.g. wxRegion is neither supported in wxWidgets 2.8 nor in 2.9 for Mac platforms as it is for other platforms. The workaround in 2.8 for OS X was cancelled in 2.9 because the underlying OS X functions does not exist anymore in newer OS X versions.

It is not my goal to produce an OS X version nor a wxWidgets version. If you don't like to see my comments please don't read them.

Gerhard
Old 11-04-2013, 09:00   #41

Gerhard...
Thank you for another not needed lesson about the Mac OS X toolchain. We both know that OpenCPN builds with clang, so I really don't understand what you are trying to point out...
We have also both read Stefan Csomor's response to Karel's question about wxRegion performance in wx2.9 on Mac OS.
You are right, I really don't have to read your posts. And I promise that from now on I won't as I really exhausted the possibilities i had to understand why you have to spread this pointless FUD all over the place with such an obstinacy again and again...

Cheers

Pavel
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12   #42

Pavel,
I think Carcode writes you notes, just to let you know that he cares, always with instruction and advice, like to his children, because it is difficult for him to say anything else. He does care I think. A complicated relationship.

Yields interesting reading however. It seems Windows is pickier than Linux, and MAC is really picky.

Best Rick
Old 11-04-2013, 16:42   #43

Rick...
If there was any instruction or advice contained in those posts, I would certainly be one of the happier people on this forum Never mind, this chapter is closed. I hope.

Pavel
Old 12-04-2013, 05:45   #44

Perhaps the current development of plugins should be in this thread, but please see
Plugins List Post #10
Old 21-05-2014, 02:06   #45

Hi~.

I am modifying the demo_pi.cpp to make a new plugin which plays multimedia files.

I appended a button event(EVT_BUTTON()) in BEGIN_EVENT_TABLE() and compiled the code successfully.

But OpenCPN couldn't recognize the libdemo_pi.so.

What can I do to solve the problem?

I'm not sure this thread is a right place for this question. But I can't find a thread for general plugin questions.
onecue is offline   Reply With Quote