Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2018, 16:43   #91
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 4,155
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowconcept View Post
This plugin is great and has solved a big issue for our sensor R&D. We are extracting ocean currents with GPS (COG, SOG, HDG) combined with our electromagnetic Forward and Leeway sensor. I am using the plugin to filter exact fields I want, add calculations, and create a custom output sentence at 1 second intervals. This has saved big headaches on the data analysis side (i.e., MS Excel) since one sensor may have a 5Hz output rate while another may only be one.... all data is synced now. Anyway, questions I have:

1. I am using this plugin on a Windows machine. I used the .exe to install it. Is this package current with your updates? If not, how can I get an updated .exe installer

2. I have OpenCPN installed on a raspberry pi and would like to utilize the plugin on it. I have no idea how to install the plugin on the Pi 3.

Again, awesome plugin!
For the raspberry pi using the built in program node-red might be very well suited 5o do what you are doing, not too difficult to program and you can save all the data straight into a file or database with a time stamp.what messages are you using, is it the openplotter image?
__________________

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:40   #92
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

I am using Open Plotter.
__________________

knowconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:51   #93
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

with regards to sentences:

1. GPZDA: Field 1 (UTC Time)
2. VMVBW - Field 1,2 (Transverse Water Speed, Longitudinal Water Speed)
2. GPGLL - Field 1,2,3,4 (Lat, N/S, Long, E/W)
3. HDHDT or GPHDT - Field 1 (Heading True)
4. GPVTG Field 1,5 (COG, SOG)

For reference, you can see our sensor design at Electromagnetic Speed & Leeway Sensors for Performance Sailboats
knowconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 00:50   #94
zzz
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 6
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

Found error again and corrected as below.

$XXMWV,$WIMWV1+acos((sqr($WIMWV3)+sqr($GPRMC7)+sqr ($WIMWV3)-2*$GPRMC7*$WIMWV3*cos($WIMWV1*3.14159265/180)-sqr($GPRMC7))/(2*sqrt(sqr($GPRMC7)+sqr($WIMWV3)-2*$GPRMC7*cos($WIMWV1*3.14159265/180))*$WIMWV3)),T,sqrt(sqr($GPRMC7)+SQR($WIMWV3)-2*$GPRMC7*$WIMWV3*cos($WIMWV1*3.14159265/180)),N,A

In terms of sog vs. stw, as pointed out, in most cases, diff is negligible I believe. One thing about stw is that the sensor cannot capture the movement of a vessel due to tide (as high as 5 knots!). For my purpose, gps is good enough.
zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 07:10   #95
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 11,704
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

Thank you. I will add this to supplimentary hardware!

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...hardware:speed

If you have a paragraph for us to add, put it in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowconcept View Post
with regards to sentences:

1. GPZDA: Field 1 (UTC Time)
2. VMVBW - Field 1,2 (Transverse Water Speed, Longitudinal Water Speed)
2. GPGLL - Field 1,2,3,4 (Lat, N/S, Long, E/W)
3. HDHDT or GPHDT - Field 1 (Heading True)
4. GPVTG Field 1,5 (COG, SOG)

For reference, you can see our sensor design at Electromagnetic Speed & Leeway Sensors for Performance Sailboats
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 07:22   #96
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 11,704
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

ZZZ i've changed it in the manual.

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._apparent_wind
Thanks again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz View Post
Found error again and corrected as below.

$XXMWV,$WIMWV1+acos((sqr($WIMWV3)+sqr($GPRMC7)+sqr ($WIMWV3)-2*$GPRMC7*$WIMWV3*cos($WIMWV1*3.14159265/180)-sqr($GPRMC7))/(2*sqrt(sqr($GPRMC7)+sqr($WIMWV3)-2*$GPRMC7*cos($WIMWV1*3.14159265/180))*$WIMWV3)),T,sqrt(sqr($GPRMC7)+SQR($WIMWV3)-2*$GPRMC7*$WIMWV3*cos($WIMWV1*3.14159265/180)),N,A

In terms of sog vs. stw, as pointed out, in most cases, diff is negligible I believe. One thing about stw is that the sensor cannot capture the movement of a vessel due to tide (as high as 5 knots!). For my purpose, gps is good enough.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 07:23   #97
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 11,704
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

Isn't it time to move this plugin out of beta?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 13:25   #98
Registered User
 
rooiedirk's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Oneoff
Posts: 378
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Isn't it time to move this plugin out of beta?
Almost there still are a few know bugs
__________________
Navigation is know where you are and what to do to get where you want.
But also: Know where you don't want to be and what to do to don't get there.
rooiedirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 19:57   #99
zzz
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 6
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

The sensor sounds great. When speed through water is zero, can this read movement of water/current? Speed and direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowconcept View Post
This plugin is great and has solved a big issue for our sensor R&D. We are extracting ocean currents with GPS (COG, SOG, HDG) combined with our electromagnetic Forward and Leeway sensor. I am using the plugin to filter exact fields I want, add calculations, and create a custom output sentence at 1 second intervals. This has saved big headaches on the data analysis side (i.e., MS Excel) since one sensor may have a 5Hz output rate while another may only be one.... all data is synced now. Anyway, questions I have:

1. I am using this plugin on a Windows machine. I used the .exe to install it. Is this package current with your updates? If not, how can I get an updated .exe installer

2. I have OpenCPN installed on a raspberry pi and would like to utilize the plugin on it. I have no idea how to install the plugin on the Pi 3.

Again, awesome plugin!
zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:17   #100
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 11,704
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

Airmar also has a similar sensor.
DX900+ MultiLog Sensor
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:55   #101
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK/France
Boat: Gib'Sea 402
Posts: 298
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Airmar also has a similar sensor.
DX900+ MultiLog Sensor
They do, but at a price
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 17:53   #102
zzz
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 6
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Airmar also has a similar sensor.
DX900+ MultiLog Sensor
Thanks for the information. Now I learned that this one and the other one are both electromagnetic sensor therefore cannot capture movement of water or vessel move along with current. Doppler ones can do that but too expensive...
zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 20:17   #103
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 11,704
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

Windows NmeaConverter_pi update.
https://github.com/rgleason/NmeaConverter_pi/releases
RooieDirk Correct double entry's when reopening dialog 3 days ago
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:37   #104
Registered User
 
rooiedirk's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Oneoff
Posts: 378
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

Made another push to the git source.
Now it is possible to use wildcards in the identifiers. So you could make it talkerid independent bij using something like .....$??XXX3.... , and whatever character on the ? position will cause a hit.
And maybe more important, you might use it for special transducers sending the something like $OWXDR,H,....or $OWXDR,C.... sentence. Note that field 1 is part of the indentifier. As the comma is the nmea separator, you can not use it as an identifier string, but by using a wildcard it works. For example ....$OWXDR?H2... or $??XDR?H2.... will work.
If there will be no bug reports the next few weeks, I do request for a final 1.0 status.
Dirk
__________________
Navigation is know where you are and what to do to get where you want.
But also: Know where you don't want to be and what to do to don't get there.
rooiedirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:57   #105
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 11,704
Re: New Plugin NmeaConvertor

Please test this new windows pre-release of nmeaconverter_pi-0.9.

Thank you Dirk.

I added this to the Wiki

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...rter#wildcards
__________________

rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nmea, plug

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calculator_pi New Finished Plugin for OpenCPN SaltyPaws OpenCPN 122 08-03-2018 10:34
New IAC Fleetcode Plugin for OpenCPN CBorchardt OpenCPN 73 02-02-2018 08:35
New Plugin Development on Linux globalkeith OpenCPN 5 03-05-2012 08:16
New History Plugin for OpenCPN boat_alexandra OpenCPN 11 04-10-2010 15:11



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.