Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 10:40   #1
AUK

Boat: Olle Enderlein 32
New installation on MS Surface Pro 3

New installation on a new Surface Pro 3 tried with both 'normal' and 'no_openGL' start up. No GPS interface.
In both options the OpenCPN program works very slowly and the charts do not look correct. I cannot zoom in on the charts, either.
I am comparing it to my other two installations on a stationary PC and on a portable PC, both Dell running WIN 10 and 8, and working well.
Users manual read several times, but to no avail.
When I try to exit the OpenCPN program it hangs and on shutting the Surface PC down it shows 'Instruction 0x000000072DC20F failed on memory 0x000000000000000D4'
Log file included; ini and xml files too.
Please let me know what to do ?
Regards,
Niels
Attached Files
File Type: txt navobj.xml.txt (357 Bytes, 29 views)
File Type: doc opencpn_MS.ini.doc (9.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: doc opencpn_MS.log.doc (32.3 KB, 46 views)
AUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 17:18   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: New installation on MS Surface Pro 3

I have a Surface Pro 3 and have been running Opencpn 4.0, 4.2, 4.2.1 on it.
Your ini file looks normal to me and it appears the program exited cleanly even though you had Opencpn Hang, and then errors when shutting down the PC.

Quote:
When I try to exit the OpenCPN program it hangs and on shutting the Surface PC down it shows 'Instruction 0x000000072DC20F failed on memory 0x000000000000000D4'
What version of Windows? Was the OS upgraded?
Try removing Opencpn and seeing if you still get the SP3 shutdown memory error.
Also try looking up in your Events Manager more detail about the shutdown error.

This machine has 4gb of memory, but that should be adequate to run OpenCPN. What else is running? Try right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager, select "More Details" and then click on the Memory column, also check the Performance tab to see how much memory is being used. You should have plenty of memory left- but if you don't you are going to have to shutdown some startup programs, but I don't think the problem is this though.

If your machine OS was upgraded to Win10, or you just purchased it, you may want to be sure it is updated with current drivers and possibly have MS tech support check the machine out to make sure it is working properly, configured right and has updated drivers. I would do this first.

Then try to install Opencpn again. It should install and run fine. It may help to know that it installs fine on my SP3. Then if you are still having trouble maybe Pavel or someone else has some thoughts...

PS: I was getting memory errors for various things, and had upgraded to Win10. MS Tech support was able to install a completely "fresh" version underneath my setup over a period of about 40 minutes (almost automatic) with no changes to my installations. That took care of some issues I was having. Haven't seen memory errors for awhile now. Your situation may be different.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 17:51   #3

PSS: another thing that happened was MS store upgraded the OS and also installed Office365. I probably should have done this myself! -Afterwards I found I kept running out of space with 128gb! (24mb total free, but it kept disappearing) I could not figure out where all the space was being used. Eventually, I found the old OS systems (2) residing in a hidden directories and when I finally found and deleted those, I had the computer I expected.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:21   #4
AUK

Thanks for quick response !
WIN10PRO ver 1511 and OS upgraded.
Memory 1.3gb used out of 3.9. OpenCPN start-up only increases memory usage to 1.4gb
Only background programs running in Task Manager. No Office programs installed.
No problem in shutting down when OpenCPN has not been used. It is now removed.
Intel webpage tool cannot determine graphic driver. Says it is PC manufacturers own.
I will now wait until MS Tech Support wakes up.
Old 09-04-2016, 13:29   #5
AUK

Just spent close to 3 hours with MS Tech Team to go through Surface Pro 3 and upgrade various drivers. Reinstalled but still no success with OpenCPN and conclusion is that maybe this unit is too slow with the i3 processor.
No other suggestions from MS and I will return the unit.
It is a shame as it looked good otherwise and has a nice display.
But I bought it for OpenCPN only.
Old 09-04-2016, 17:54   #6

AUK,

What? I am sorry. I bought SP3 i5-4200 for the express purpose of using it with Opencpn and for travel. I have found it to be great, in fact I am also building Opencpn plugins with the computer as well.

I can't imagine why it would not work, because mine works. I am wondering if they updated your OpenGL drivers properly... That was the first challenge I had and it was not very hard to do...

Anyway, I am astounded and sorry that is the result. Sorry..

Best
Rick

Tags
installation