Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2014, 09:23   #1

New install not working

Hi all,

I have OpenCPN installed on my desktop (Windows 8.1) with CM93 charts and it works great. I've just installed it on a laptop (windows 8.1) with the same set of charts and (a) it doesn't see the charts (I have installed them in the same way as on the desktop) and (b) the base map only is displayed, if I click on the screen the display goes black and stays that way until I use my mouse wheel to zoom in or out. Any ideas anyone?
Dedzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 10:01   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: New install not working

Dedzaboy...
OpenCPN version? And can we see your logfile please?

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 04:21   #3

Version is 3.2.2. I've copied the logfile, what's the best way to get it to you?

Thanks!
Old 18-05-2014, 04:48   #4
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Remane it to .doc and attach it to your post. You may want zip/compress the file before.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 06:10   #5

Thanks, I hadn't seen the attachment option. Here it is (I hope).
Attached Files
File Type: doc Open CPN logfile.doc (64.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 18-05-2014, 07:31   #6

Dedzaboy...
Tricky you are, pasting it to new a version of word and then renaming the file from .docx to .doc without describing what you did... But I have figured it out
Your problem seems pretty obvious - you have to select the directory containing your charts (C:\Users\Neil\Documents\Charts\CM93\ in your case), not a single, random, chart file as the location for the charts in the Toolbox. I'm actually not really sure how you managed to do that, but maybe Win 8 has a different version of the directory selection dialog.

Pavel
Old 18-05-2014, 08:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Dedzaboy...
Tricky you are, pasting it to new a version of word and then renaming the file from .docx to .doc without describing what you did... But I have figured it out
Your problem seems pretty obvious - you have to select the directory containing your charts (C:\Users\Neil\Documents\Charts\CM93\ in your case), not a single, random, chart file as the location for the charts in the Toolbox. I'm actually not really sure how you managed to do that, but maybe Win 8 has a different version of the directory selection dialog.

Pavel
Believe me, I'm not that tricky, I'm not clever enough! I just pasted it into Word 2010 then saved it as a Word 97-2003 document since you'd asked for .doc not .docx.

I've tried different ways of directing Open CPN to my charts but this is what I currently have: c:\users\neil\documents\charts\cm93 and there are no charts. Actually that's not strictly true, closer inspection reveals some detail of North American coasts, at least depths, but no ENC text available. And then only some areas. Elsewhere there are no charts and a black screen when you click on the base map which goes away when you scroll the mouse wheel. I'm adding the chart directory by clicking "Add directory" in the normal way, the same way and the same version of Windows and OpenCPN as I have on my desktop PC.
Weird.

I've attached a new logfile in case anythings changed:
Attached Files
File Type: doc Open CPN logfile2.doc (79.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 18-05-2014, 08:27   #8

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedzaboy View Post
closer inspection reveals some detail of North American coasts, at least depths, but no ENC text available.
Did you remember to click the "A+" in the toolbar to enable ENC text? I forgot to do that with an installation on a new computer and was surprised to see a few chart features but no labels identifying them. When you've been updating versions the "A+" stays selected.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 08:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedzaboy View Post

I've attached a new logfile in case anythings changed:
Yes, it had. Now it shows that some of the charts are loading.
From your description of the behavior, it looks like you could have problems with the drivers for your graphics card. May be a screenshot would describe it better.
Are you using OpenGL? If so, try to disable it. If not, try to enable it in the Toolbox.
Last, but not least: Are you sure (as in really, really sure) that the charts are identical as on your other machine?
The "missing ENC text" could be a configuration issue, but back to it when the charts will cover the whole screen and there will be no black areas anywhere.

Pavel
Old 18-05-2014, 08:45   #10

The new download for OpenCPN gives two icons at the start menu, one for OpenGL and one without, but whichever I open the result is the same. Yes, I'm clicking the text button and it's highlighted like it's selected but no text appears. The chart directory 'CM93' was copied in it's entirety from my desktop PC onto a flash drive and copied from there onto my laptop so should be exactly the same.
Right now the black screen issue isn't happening; I've attached a screen shot of what I see generally, this is zoomed in one mouse wheel click - when fully zoomed out I get the base map with no blanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	122
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	81557  
Old 18-05-2014, 08:59   #11

Aha, Well I did tell you I wasn't that clever - I just compared the size of the chart directory on the laptop compared with that on the desktop and the laptop only has 2/3 the size, so something's gone wrong with the copying process. I'm copying again now onto another flash drive (which is taking a while) then I'll try again and let you know, but it seems likely that this is my problem. Doh.
Old 18-05-2014, 09:14   #12

Dedzaboy...
That's exactly what I meant by "really, really sure"
Anyway, if the problems persist, let me know.

Pavel
Old 18-05-2014, 09:46   #13

So, that's fixed it - almost. The chart directory contents are now the same size as the original and now charts work fine with no black screen, except for ENC text - all the depth info and other chart info appears, but no place names etc when the text button is pressed. Odd.

Thanks for the help, in fact "děkuji moc"!
Old 18-05-2014, 10:03   #14

Check your Vector Charts | Official OpenCPN Homepage settings

Pavel
Old 18-05-2014, 11:48   #15

Yep, changed Display Category from "Mariners Standard' to 'Other' and now I get the text. I probably changed this from the default when I was having my previous problem.

Thanks again!