Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 01:24   #1

Boat: custom 42' catamaran
New Install, No Charts Seen Yet

I just did an install on Vista Home Basic on an Acer Aspire 4310 and it seems to work OK. I put the chart folder in during the install via the 'browse' option. I loaded CM93ed2 MAY2009, chart 02700360.A (I just want the Philippines), but I can't navigate to the chart. I can't zoom out far enough to get the cursor near the PI - it just shows NA - Yucatan ==> Canadian border. I went back and got the non-lettered files at the bottom of the CM93 folder thinking they might be needed, but still no yellow / magenta chart bar, and I still can't zoom out far enough to get near the PI. Once I get the cruising area dialed in, I expect to go back and pick up all the smaller files and likely some files from 0270300.A to build a complete local set. Grouping by location is recommended so I assume [ass-u-me] that this is possible. Clearly I am missing something. I have read a bunch of stuff on charts and am kind of dizzy from all the detail I don't understand. Is there an easy way to do this without loading the entire world? I am in the Philippines and don't have that much bandwidth or disk space. I have been astounded at the depth of knowledge expressed in the various threads - but most of it is over my head. Hopefully there is a simple solution. Note that the CM93 folder I am extracting from was given to me by a fellow cruiser and it was working fine on his laptop. Thanks.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:09   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: New Install, No Charts Seen Yet

You can't pick the cherries out of the cake like that with CM93.
As is explained here, you have to point OpenCPN to the top level folder containing CM93, and most likely your set contains the whole world, that is what most people are looking for.
What you have to do is to find a set of CM93 charts for zone 7, or actually I think that 7 comes bundled with a few other zones.

As for navigating the world in OpenCPN without charts, just the blue on black vector shoreline, you can still pan with the arrow keys and drag with the mouse left clicking and holding.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts