Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 08:29   #226

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Re: New Grib Presentation

Well
to be clear I work with Windows and unfortunately have no possibilities to test with Linux

I post attached the request dialog as it should be displayed (and actually is in Windows ) There is clearly a problem of display in Linux which doesn't exist in Windows . A small change is pending at git to try to fix it .

The second problem , sending mail :
A standard library coming from wxWidgets is used .
In Windows it is necessary to declare one email system ( for example Thunderbird) as the main email system .When clicking "send" Thunderbird is open,an email is written ready to be sent.
The answer coming from Saildocs and Zygrib is returned to the sending address.
With Linux ,It has a slightly different behavior but Pavel (Nohal) has made some adjustments to make it working .
Rgleason : when you wrote : "I have Thunderbird loaded and working, so that I can send emails in Linux, but not receive"
what did you mean ? you can send email in Linux with grib plugin or manually ?
I would add there is no possibility to receive email in OpenCPN . The email are received as usual in your email system and you have just to move the file to the right folder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mail1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	62363   Click image for larger version

Name:	mail2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	62364  

Name:	mail3.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	62365   Click image for larger version

Name:	mail4.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	62366  

Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:59   #227

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Jean Pierre,
To be clear also:
I have Win7 with MSVC compiler, and Pavel suggested using VirtualBox (hosted on Win7) running Ubuntu with 1cpu, 1gb ram, 8 gb of disk space, (with guest addtions which allows sharing of directories and some cut and paste between Win and Linux) Set up to run and test Linux version of plugins too - can jump back and forth with some regularity, but it does take time to do separate git etc. I am not able to program in C yet.

To simplify my email, I only want to be able to send out from Linux Thunderbird for development purposes and receive all email in my Tbird Win7. Then I save the grib in Win7 to a shared Grib directory and can jump over to Linux Opencpn and access the grib (if the guest additions are working properly, found they are reliable now).
A little complicated, but I hope that explains it. If VirtualBox guest additions is setup and working correctly, I can cut in Linux and paste in Windows programs like Tbird, editor etc. and visa versa. Have had no problems doing this lately.

I receive Grib files in my Windows 7 Thunderbird, save them to a shared Grib folder, and access them from Linux Opencpn or Window7 Opencpn.

I just did not set up the Smpt server for outgoing in Tbird.

Quote:
Rgleason : when you wrote : "I have Thunderbird loaded and working, so that I can send emails in Linux, but not receive"
what did you mean ? you can send email in Linux with grib plugin or manually ?
I would add there is no possibility to receive email in OpenCPN . The email are received as usual in your email system and you have just to move the file to the right folder
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:04   #228

JP,
Maybe it would be good to have a text copy area in the plugin as Pavel suggested, which has the email (saildocs or zygrib) and the Grib instructions. Then user could copy and paste into email too, if it is not working.
Rick

Will try the recent changes that just came through.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:13   #229

Hi,

In window$ new_grib works perfect with email clients (Thunderbird/Outlook/Windows Live Mail 2012). As you said plugin could use email program to send request but we must put data manually from received email to "GRIB folder" to be visible.
In linux we should also used email client like thunderbird to send to configured email account request for grib data. I can send/receive standard emails without any problem using thunderbird on linux. It looks like problem with relation between new_grib plugin and thunderbird email client on ubuntu.

Kubek
kubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:38   #230

Windows email sends a message fine.

In Windows, Grib plugin, Send for Grib, there is a message area under "Mail" which I cannot highlight and copy. Pavel had a suggestion to make it easy to copy, it is just a slightly different command. --do you want me to find it for you?

Quote:
JP...
Giving the user a chance to copy the text to the clipboard is probably not a bad idea - if you just replace the now wxStaticText m_MailImage with a read-only wxTextCtrl, it is also very easy to do.
Pavel
It would also be very useful to have the email address displayed separately so that can be copied and pasted into a new email too. (This does not seem to be working)

Quote:
- Copy to clipboard is done
- the saildocs address is in the config file . Off course if necessary it could be displayed?
Also can you enable the upper right X to close the Grib plugin?

I found your suggestions below very helpful, could they be worked into short instructon?

"Grib Area=Chart Display Small step zoom = CTRL +/-"
Old 12-06-2013, 13:28   #231

Very recent Git Pull of origin/master which may include Pavels changes, but may not, because email in Linux still does not work.

Linux Example trying to send an email to Salidocs or Zygrib
I guess I really should have an IDE on Linux to help figure out why such things as email are not working. It does give you the picture, but not too helpful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grib-Email.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	62380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grib-Email-Windows.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	62381  

Name:	Grib-Email-After-Send.png
Views:	182
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	62382  
Old 13-06-2013, 00:35   #232

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Very recent Git Pull of origin/master which may include Pavels changes, but may not, because email in Linux still does not work.
There was a misunderstanding . The Pavels changes I wrote about was done at the beginning and at that time, sending emails was reported as working in Linux . So there would have been a regression.
If you have compiled the last Git/master, you can copy and past the email text (not yet the address). You can do it in Windows but not in Linux because email is not correctly display. This is also a regression due to this last change.
I have posted small change to try to fix these problems of display, but they are not yet in git.
I have a remark regarding the shots you and Kubek have posted:the default size font in Linux is bigger than in Windows. That causes problem when the zone size is fixed. May be we should set a font size inside the code to ovoid it ? Pavel what do you think ?
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 02:39   #233

Yes JP, Its another long pole problem. Just to summarize

Windows - Works fine, including email and copy text, except perhaps add separate copy of email address?

Linux - Problems - Text size, Email, Copy text, Separate copy email address, Close by X upper right.
Old 24-06-2013, 08:11   #234

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40' or is it 39'?? :-)

Dear all,

I believe, I have detected some kind of bug with the new implementation of the Grib presentation. The attached file displays fine (with the limitations known) on OpenCPN 3.2.2 but with the Beta 3.3.604 I only get the very first data displayed. after that it is only blank out put. As I saw some mentioning of zyGrib earlier in this thread - the file can be displayed with zyGrib and it is displayed fine - so you se, what I am missing.

Can you please have a look into this??

I think in general the new presentation is excellent and covering what I was first missing with the previous implementation, however, the "moving" kind of Grib file should be displayed correctly as well, I believe. Meantim I am using OpenCPN as my primary navigation tool (during several Atlantic crossings) and I cannot emphasize enough how very please I am with all the fine development work you are doing.

Therefore thank you all and best regards,

Uwe

Here are the screenshot for the Grib request and the resulting file (in fact the file does not match the request, it was created earlier, but the request shows the principle what I am looking at). o.k.??
Please rename the "Test.pdf" file to "Test.grb" - I had to rename it, otherwise it didn't upload.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GRIB-Request-1.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	63115  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Test.pdf (47.8 KB, 39 views)
HUR450502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 08:21   #235

Hub, thanks for putting it all here. Which version # of the plugin has this "Moving Forecast" speed and course feature? This is a plugin for opencpn, not maxsea?

Saildocs must support it, but I did not see that in their instructions. Do you know what the required format is?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 24-06-2013, 09:16   #236

Hi there, the screenshot you see is the "Grib Request window" from "Airmail" which is a program almost every sailor uses to request Grib and other weather data from ither Winlink or Saildocs. The result of this window (the screenshot) is a "grib request" which is sent to "Saildocs" Saildocs in turn returns the requested Grib file. The procedure is as follows:

you send an e-mail to "query@saildocs.com" in the subject line you enter "Saildocs Request" in the message text the FIRST line must contain the request - which for the subject query looks like that:

send GFS:42N,34N,030W,022W|0.5,0.5|0,6..144|PRMSL,WIND, SFCTMP,WAVES,RAIN|7.0,100,2013062110

This has to be in one line, just one blank after the "send"

What is the meaning: We start at a square between 42°N 34°N 030°W 022°W. The resolution is 0.5° and the data should be for every 6 hours for 6 days (so from 0 hours to 144 hours. Next section in the request shows the data we are interested in (wind, rain, etc. ...). Following this you see, that the original square (42N 34N 030W 022W) should be moved east (100°) at 7 knots, which means that the square moves every 6 hours by 42 nautical miles ESE.

O.K.??

This is all represented in the resulting GRIB file, which is sent back from saildocs.

The only problem now is, that this file needs to be displayed correctly, which it was (or still is) in OpenCPN 3.2.2, where you have to click on each 6 hour entry.

Does this explain it?

Best regards,

Uwe
Old 24-06-2013, 09:26   #237

just the two screenshots from OpenCPN - you see the correct displa for the very first entry and the second is the display for the second entry 6 hours later. I will attempt to re-install OpenCPN 3.2.2 and provide the same screen shots there. O.K.?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GRIB-1-Entry.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	63120   Click image for larger version

Name:	GRIB-2-Entry.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	63121  

Old 24-06-2013, 09:46   #238

Uwe, Thanks, I think Jean Pierre will get this. Don't bother reinstall 3.2.2 unless you want it. I just learned something. Thank you.

So Saildocs uses this part for the "Moving Forecast", never knew that as I hadn't used Airmail that much.

It seems to me that the current grib plugins do not recognize the moving coordinates for each frame, the current plugins just assume the same coordinates, so the later frames are kicked out as bad data.

I don't know if Jean Pierre can improve this situation, but I am sure he will advise.

Thank you. Also just noticed ChuckSK says its a bug because it was supported. So someone needs to put this into Flyspray. The email entry also needs to be augmented for "Moving Forecast".
Old 24-06-2013, 09:53   #239

... thanks a lot, however, I just installed 3.2.2 (which was easy, congratulations to the team who does the install, upgrade, downgrade function(s) PERFECT!!!)

So here just the other screenshots - the first two were just Grib plus "0" the second plus "6" the others were several days apart. I think this shows the picture - and I can assure you, this function IS used, as you want to get as much data into the future as possible (along your planned course) but you to want to save bandwidth as much as possible on HF .... :-)

So, here are the pictures -

and best regards,

Uwe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GRIB-3-2-2-1.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	63123   Click image for larger version

Name:	GRIB-3-2-2-2.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	63124  

Name:	GRIB-3-2-2-3.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	63125   Click image for larger version

Name:	GRIB-3-2-2-4.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	63126  

Old 24-06-2013, 11:37   #240

To Weather Gribs Users
It seems to me that it take a good deal of memory to operates easy.
Any idea?
Bye
P_Dub
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote