Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 12:17   #1

Boat: Beneteau 36cc - Pura Vida
New GPS antenna required?

I currently have opencpen version 2.5.0 downloaded on my laptop. It was working fine until I downloaded windows 10. I previously had windows 7. The program still opens up but the GPS doesn't work. It is model BU-353. Is it possible that by downloading a newer version the antenna will work? Or perhaps a new driver? If required to go to a new GPS antenna what are some antenna options?

Thank you,
Greg.
galynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 14:21   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: New GPS antenna required?

Greg..
It may be you need a new driver. If a dedicated Win10 driver is not available the one for Win8 use to work.
See more info here: GPS Setup | Official OpenCPN Homepage

And while you're on the OCPN page you maybe like to update your program to a never version. See: Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 19:07   #3

Thanks Hakan,
I've downloaded ocpn 4.0. I still can't get the gps to work. It's blinking. Do you know if there are any specific directions for W10 for downloading GPS? Also in the device manager under "ports (Com & LPT)", The Prolific USB-to-serial Comm Port (COM3) has a caution sign in front of it. Any thoughts? Again, Thanks.
Old 01-02-2016, 19:56   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by galynd View Post
Thanks Hakan,
I've downloaded ocpn 4.0. I still can't get the gps to work. It's blinking. Do you know if there are any specific directions for W10 for downloading GPS? Also in the device manager under "ports (Com & LPT)", The Prolific USB-to-serial Comm Port (COM3) has a caution sign in front of it. Any thoughts? Again, Thanks.
If you go to the properties of the prolific com port you'll get an error code, it's pretty common. Prolific changed something in there chips so that the driver can detect the Chinese knock offs and stop them from working.

Family Software Drag Racing - Newsletter#37, Prolific PL-2303 Driver Solution for Code 10

Check out this link. Should fix that problem.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 17:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
If you go to the properties of the prolific com port you'll get an error code, it's pretty common. Prolific changed something in there chips so that the driver can detect the Chinese knock offs and stop them from working.

Family Software Drag Racing - Newsletter#37, Prolific PL-2303 Driver Solution for Code 10

Check out this link. Should fix that problem.
Thank you. It took care of the problem and is working perfectly.

Tags
antenna, gps