Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-12-2013, 07:00   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: New Generation GRIB Viewer?

Are your suggestions and probs fully described in tracker? How tomake better acess?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 27-12-2013, 14:00   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
The other programmes are not that memorable sorry. Polar Navy is one that uses coloured wind arrows; not pretty.

The problems have been discussed before, disappearing shading when zooming being the main one. Selection of shading for a particular data type requires going into settings rather than being able to switch between the layers from the viewing screen... yes it works but needs tweaks.
1)shading at all zoom : Is in flyspray and I agree it would be a big improvement .For the moment I face a problem of performance and I don't feel myself able to solve this problem. If somebody can help ...
2) shading are to be set in the setting window, but you can choose what overlay you want to display directly in the viewing screen . What is wrong in this process?
JP

Old 27-12-2013, 14:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
1)
2) shading are to be set in the setting window, but you can choose what overlay you want to display directly in the viewing screen . What is wrong in this process?
JP
Hi JP,

because I always want wind arrows and pressure isobars displayed even if I am using another overlay, lets say precipitation. I then want to be able to easily turn off the precipitation overlay and see wind, or pressure, or 500mB height as an overlay and I don't want to have to go into settings to define that each time I change.

I hope that helps you understand my point of view (pun intended)

Chris
Old 28-12-2013, 00:58   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Hi Chris
I completely agree with your point of you
but you can do exactly what you described :
in the setting set check barbed arrows for wind, isobars for pressure, eventually overlay for each of others parameters. this setting has not to be change each time.
then in the viewing window, you can turn on/off what you want to see :
for example keep checked wind and pressure permanently and check/unchecked the others parameters to see the colored map you want
Or do i misunderstand ?
Jean Pierre
Old 28-12-2013, 05:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
Hi Chris
I completely agree with your point of you
but you can do exactly what you described :
in the setting set check barbed arrows for wind, isobars for pressure, eventually overlay for each of others parameters. this setting has not to be change each time.
then in the viewing window, you can turn on/off what you want to see :
for example keep checked wind and pressure permanently and check/unchecked the others parameters to see the colored map you want
Or do i misunderstand ?
Jean Pierre
At the moment if I turn on the wind overlay map in settings it is always present and blends with any others that in view, therefore I must leave it off to avoid a confusing mess of colours.

Only one overlay should be visible at any one time.

I think that there should be an overlay spinner or list box enabling you to choose from a list of available overlays, but only have one visible at any one time. This would avoid the blending issue and only add one control to the GRIB panel.

It would be nice if there was a transparency control there too as one setting does not work for all chart types/colours etc.

The overlays should be selectable independently of their vector data; arrows, isobars or whatever.
Old 05-01-2014, 17:46   #21

Littlechay, your thought and intensity are good, and you make several good points, which I won't go into, but sometimes we are not understanding you. This one has me puzzled:

Quote:
I think that there should be an overlay spinner or list box enabling you to choose from a list of available overlays, but only have one visible at any one time. This would avoid the blending issue and only add one control to the GRIB panel.
I think I get what you are suggesting, a new dropdown button with data-type list for overlays as set up in the settings, when one datatype is selected, that one will overlay onto wind data. Is this correct? If not, you need to explain more.

Let me tell you how I use the plugin. I have Wind and Pressure set the way I want it, with no overlay colors. Then I set most of the other data to be only overlay and maybe contours, it depends. Then I just uncheck and check the overlays I wish to show, and walk through it that way, just two clicks. That isn't so hard is it?
Old 05-01-2014, 18:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I think I get what you are suggesting, a new dropdown button with data-type list for overlays as set up in the settings, when one datatype is selected, that one will overlay onto wind data. Is this correct? If not, you need to explain more.
Yes that is more or less it..... list will select the active overlay (there can only be one) which will overlay whatever you have selected as arrows, isotachs, isobars etc.

Quote:
Let me tell you how I use the plugin. I have Wind and Pressure set the way I want it, with no overlay colors. Then I set most of the other data to be only overlay and maybe contours, it depends. Then I just uncheck and check the overlays I wish to show, and walk through it that way, just two clicks. That isn't so hard is it?
It's not hard but it is bloody restricting.

What if you want wind speed, or pressure as an overlay? for example; Sometimes (or quite often depending on your navigation scenario) you'll want 500mB information over-layed and you might want this as isobars or with a suitable palette as coloured overlay (the latest version of ZyGrib does a special palette for jetstream winds and it works very well). you might want to leave the 500mb height isobars visible then overlay precipitation to see where the surface fronts are along with surface wind and pressure.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:45   #23

Littlechay...

Okay, I am actually buying your argument....how many others follow this and agree? We want to keep this SIMPLE for everyone's sake!

So you want an additional button for Overlay Selection only.
  1. The button would provide a left click drop down menu to pick a single overlay to ADD to the display.
  2. There would be an OFF selection as well so that there would be an option not to have any overlays as a result of this button. The button would appear red for off.
  3. When an overlay has been selected the button would appear green for on.
  4. This Overlay Button's settings would be taken directly from the data-type configuration parameters for overlays which is available previously.
  5. The Overlay button would have its own show/hide overlay matrix, and would only allow adding one additional overlay at a time.
  6. The overlay button would ignore and be separate from the show/hide overlay settings in the main configuration parameters setup, so that the user can chose to display other data-type overlays continuously, and select sequential overlays from the overlay button to display on top.
  7. This Overlay button selection would NOT affect the other selections in the checkbox menu.
Is this SIMPLE? --I am not sure...

If you think this is what you want, or something like it, you'd better review and think about this carefully, rewrite the above to make it clearer and respond to other's comments and get at least 5 of users to agree (you have two votes now)....and if you achieve that, I think you should publish your full description in Tracker under Grib_pi then maybe someone will program it.

-- Of higher priority to me would be ability to join two grib files, say Wind and Current.....
Old 06-01-2014, 13:18   #24

Boat: Amel Sharki

At first we will need a more stable grib plugin. Actually there are several points where it does not work as it should.
e.g.:
- problems with localisations
- crashes with weather table

In a second step there can be some enhancements then but only if it does not throw new problems.

Gerhard
Old 06-01-2014, 13:39   #25

Understood and agreed.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:38   #26

Quote:
Littlechay...

Okay, I am actually buying your argument....how many others follow this and agree? We want to keep this SIMPLE for everyone's sake!

-- Of higher priority to me would be ability to join two grib files, say Wind and Current.....
A look at ZyGrib shows one way to do it simply, the top section of the "weather map" menu allows you to select the overlay.

merging two or more grib files would be useful too.

Chris
Old 11-01-2014, 13:18   #27

Littlechay, how about making a Feature Request under Grib_pi?
I guess it can't hurt, even if others haven't responded.
Old 18-01-2014, 17:00   #28

That is a beautiful job on the documentation for grib_weather plugin!
Grib Weather Plugin | Official OpenCPN Homepage

I was learning new things about the plugin, even just reading quickly.
Old 19-09-2014, 08:11   #29

Re: New generation GRIB viewer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Not a forecast, it is using actual wind values apparently, I suspect from one of the SCAT satellites.

Useful for now-casting maybe
Clicking on the "Earth" button allows access to many parameters, including the timescale - 3hrs or 1 day ahead (or back) ...

As all the parameters (center position, scale, etc...) are encoded into the URL, it is possible to set up a Waypoint with a suitable link in the area of interest. Unfortunately, the past/future dates are hard - numerically - encoded, so it is not so simple to have +3h and +1d links ready ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nullschool_20140919_legend.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	88451  
Old 30-09-2014, 08:30   #30

Boat: bristol 27

Is there any plan to integrate this type of display into opencpn grib plugin?

What about grib version 2?

I wonder if maybe we should switch to this:
https://software.ecmwf.int/wiki/disp.../Documentation

Since it supports grib version 2 already.

Tags
rib

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: