Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2014, 13:24   #1

Need Help With Linux Please?

Need help pleeeeeze;-)
Open CPN was was working BRILLIANTLY on my Linux laptop, but I installed a new HDD and reinstalled Linux Mint 17, and now I can't get OpenCPN to 'see' my GPS receiver. It's a G-STAR BU-353S4 model.

I THINK I just need to add a connection in OpenCPN, but even re reading the manual, I don't understand how to enter the Linux Port data Sorry, not a real Linux user!

Stuck without a plotter - Agggggh!!!
dougal95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 13:44   #2

Re: Need Help With Linux Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougal95 View Post
Need help pleeeeeze;-)
Open CPN was was working BRILLIANTLY on my Linux laptop, but I installed a new HDD and reinstalled Linux Mint 17, and now I can't get OpenCPN to 'see' my GPS receiver. It's a G-STAR BU-353S4 model.

I THINK I just need to add a connection in OpenCPN, but even re reading the manual, I don't understand how to enter the Linux Port data Sorry, not a real Linux user!

Stuck without a plotter - Agggggh!!!
Rule #1

Keep calm.

Then, go to this site. OpenCPN User Manual | Official OpenCPN Homepage If you are installing from source the 'Developers Manual' provides guidance. The OpenCPN Users Manual is your go to guide. For setting up a GPS, http://opencpn.org/ocpn/setting_up_gps Scroll down to the 'Linux' section. By the time you've followed drections there, you'll be wondering why you ever were Aggggh!!!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 14:55   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Rule #1

Keep calm.

lol... many thanks, but easier said than done while sitting on the ocean without a functioning plotter;-) Had to get out the charts Getting online is a nightmare and i only hsd a pdf manual. Sorted thanks to ur link;-))))))
Old 17-09-2014, 15:11   #4

Quote:
lol... many thanks, but easier said than done while sitting on the ocean without a functioning plotter;-) Had to get out the charts Getting online is a nightmare and i only hsd a pdf manual. Sorted thanks to ur link;-))))))
If you don't already own one, you'll find there are very affordable android tablets available nowadays that can be used as a primary or backup navigation device. By the time you've followed my instructions here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage , you'll have gained some valuable linux experience and have OpenCPN running in a linux chroot environment along side android. So, next time you're on the ocean and your 'chartplotter' fails, there will be a backup navigation device of one type or another.

Happy to help out.
Old 17-09-2014, 16:51   #5

Boat: Cornado 25

Once you get your current situation sorted, you might want to look into trying Navigatrix (Navigatrix.net - A Voyager's Companion •) instead of mint... A linux distro comes set up with OpenCPN and a "boatload" of other cruiser specific applications. Light weight and good support from the user community. Currently based on Debian/Ubuntu14.04... You can load to a "live" usb stick and run beside your current system to test drive. Ran Fedora from back in the old redhat days, and once I found Nx I never looked back.

By cruisers, for cruisers.
Old 17-09-2014, 18:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post
Once you get your current situation sorted, you might want to look into trying Navigatrix (Navigatrix.net - A Voyager's Companion •) instead of mint... A linux distro comes set up with OpenCPN and a "boatload" of other cruiser specific applications. Light weight and good support from the user community. Currently based on Debian/Ubuntu14.04... You can load to a "live" usb stick and run beside your current system to test drive. Ran Fedora from back in the old redhat days, and once I found Nx I never looked back.

Red Hat 5. No fond memories of what it took to get a program from source installed back then. Remember trying to install from source invariably led to a missing dependency? So, you'd download the missing dependency and lo & behold when you tried to compile that, it too complained of a missing dependency. If you were lucky there'd be a successful compilation and install two, maybe three days later. Maybe never. And all of this on an 8088 at 4.77 Mhz or a 386 running at what? Gawd, it would take overnight to compile anything.

So, do you think Navigatrix can be run in a chroot environment on an android tablet? Interesting thought.
Old 17-09-2014, 23:42   #7

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Try installing gpsd-utils or whatever is needed to run cgps. If gpsd is working, cgps should also work. You can try "ps aux | grep gpsd" to determine if gpsd is running, and on what port. Also "ls /dev/ttyUSB*" can show if serial ports are available. Sometimes 3g modems could conflict or other devices.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 07:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Try installing gpsd-utils or whatever is needed to run cgps. If gpsd is working, cgps should also work. You can try "ps aux | grep gpsd" to determine if gpsd is running, and on what port. Also "ls /dev/ttyUSB*" can show if serial ports are available. Sometimes 3g modems could conflict or other devices.
From yesterday in response to my first post:

Quote:
Problem solved.
Old 18-09-2014, 10:48   #9

Turned into a GREAT thread for me. Thanks guys!!!!
Old 18-09-2014, 10:52   #10

Just thought..... Is there any way of using my old iPhone4 as a backup too?
Old 18-09-2014, 11:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post

That sounds BRILLIANT! I'm now awaiting my Navigatrix account to be 'activated' so i can download it. Hope it happens soon, as right now i've good good wifi access;-)

Tags
lease, linux