Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 09:14   #16

Boat: Hylas 44
Re: Need Help Sending NEMA Code

Ian

Insert the sentence in the [Settings] section, not in the [Settings/NMEAAutoPilotPort] section. Also, do not have OpenCPN running when you do this.

Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:46   #17

"What I am trying to do is use the NMEA from my Commar AIS to drive my ST-7000+ autopilot"

I dont know Commar AIS but this NMEA isnt at 38000 baud? the pilot needs a 4800 NMEA stream to work. So that is why it did with OpenCPN.

alex
alex2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:47   #18

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2035 View Post
"What I am trying to do is use the NMEA from my Commar AIS to drive my ST-7000+ autopilot"

I dont know Commar AIS but this NMEA isnt at 38000 baud? the pilot needs a 4800 NMEA stream to work. So that is why it did with OpenCPN.

alex
Alex, most progs convert the baud rate down to 4800 on the data to autopilot stream. If you study the OpenCpn .ini file you will see a 4800 baud command applied to the output port. So it does not matter that the AIS input data to the lap top is at 34,800 baud. I nearly bought a multiplexer to change the output speed before I realised this, but it is just not necesary. The software does it for you.

Ian
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckSK View Post
Ian

Insert the sentence in the [Settings] section, not in the [Settings/NMEAAutoPilotPort] section. Also, do not have OpenCPN running when you do this.

Chuck
Chuck thanks for your wisdom. with OpenCpn shut down after copying the syntax from the help file, the entry is now nailed to the .ini file. For veryone else, the correct [settings] area is at the top of the file. (Third line down in my file).

I will not be able to see if SOG/COG now appear on the pilot display till late tomorrow when I next visit the boat. I will let you know. Also I have downloaded Version 3.0 and will try that too.

Regards

Ian
Old 08-06-2012, 14:00   #20

Chuck,

2.6 and 3.0 worked 100% after modifying the .ini file as you suggested. They need to add a note in the help file that OpenCpn must be shut down before you edit the file. You will have opened it to read the suggestion so it's a catch situation. So now SOG/COG plus all other data now appears on the ST-7000+. Thanks.

What I have not managed to yet make work is to supply my Furuno DSC VHF with nmea to stop the nag beep. I copied the wiring connections into the Furuno from the GP-80 GPS - pins 3 and 7 which they call received data-a and received data-b. This is connected to pin3 on the laptop output port (nmea transmit and pin 5, ground).

The DCS requires RMC,GLL,GGA & ZDA so I added the last 3 to the modified .ini file. But it does not work. Maybe I have it wired incorrectly, but before messing with that, I will install Nmea Sleuth and see what data is being sent to ther radio. Any tips of course welcome.

Ian
Old 08-06-2012, 14:09   #21

I should have added that the GPS data from the AIS is set at 38,400 baud in OpenCpn's AIS setup window. GPS input is shared with the AIS port (at 38,400) and the data to the autopilot is selected to the second port on one of my Procomm dual port RS232 to USB converters. It would seem that OpenCpn automatically converts the autopilot data stream to 4800 baud.

Ian